Super Moderator
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: freddief73

·
Registered
118 Posts
I won't disagree.

Two weekends ago my wife (and I) went to the automall to drive all four minivans. Our van history was Toyota Previa (loved it) and a 2002 and a 2007 Odyssey. Also we love Toyota.

Surprisingly enough, the Sienna was last on her list. It just didn't feel right. The Honda felt EXACTLY like our two previous Hondas, which is not a bad thing...but I refuse to buy another Honda (long story) if I can help it. Plus, for the price it seemed kinda sparse (we looked at the Elite, $44K plus tax/title/etc). The Kia was interesting.

But I hated the idea of another gas hog. She drove the PacHy last, and loved it. I loved it because it's a hybrid. Problem solved. (Except for availability. Last weekend we went 2 hours to get the one she wanted. Loved the dealership experience--no muss no fuss, total transparency, VERY quick, and did us right by the numbers.)

One thing that caught my eye years ago was that the PacHy, due to no requirement for stow and go second row, has better padded second row seats. My wife hates her father's T&C SNG seats, because the padding is too thin. And we don't mind removing the second row seats every blue moon or so, should we need to. We've been doing that for 20 years. It's simply not an issue.

Now I'm off to manage my income to make more than enough to take the entire $7500 tax credit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I won't disagree.

Two weekends ago my wife (and I) went to the automall to drive all four minivans. Our van history was Toyota Previa (loved it) and a 2002 and a 2007 Odyssey. Also we love Toyota.

Surprisingly enough, the Sienna was last on her list. It just didn't feel right. The Honda felt EXACTLY like our two previous Hondas, which is not a bad thing...but I refuse to buy another Honda (long story) if I can help it. Plus, for the price it seemed kinda sparse (we looked at the Elite, $44K plus tax/title/etc). The Kia was interesting.

But I hated the idea of another gas hog. She drove the PacHy last, and loved it. I loved it because it's a hybrid. Problem solved. (Except for availability. Last weekend we went 2 hours to get the one she wanted. Loved the dealership experience--no muss no fuss, total transparency, VERY quick, and did us right by the numbers.)

One thing that caught my eye years ago was that the PacHy, due to no requirement for stow and go second row, has better padded second row seats. My wife hates her father's T&C SNG seats, because the padding is too thin. And we don't mind removing the second row seats every blue moon or so, should we need to. We've been doing that for 20 years. It's simply not an issue.

Now I'm off to manage my income to make more than enough to take the entire $7500 tax credit.
No comments on the Carnival? It's the only other minivan I'd consider. I hate the look inside/out of everything else. At least Kia is (once again) shaking things up with good appearance and materials. But, the lack of a PHEV option pretty much sealed the deal for us. The Pinnacle PacHy is more premium than the Carnival, but I do prefer the exterior looks of the Carnival, along with its vastly superior tech/driver assistance features.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No comments on the Carnival?
It was a very, very nice piece from what we could tell. But we didn't spend a bunch of time on it, and we never went back to it after we found the Chrysler. It seemed that the Pacifica was equivalent to the Kia overall, but also had the advantage of a hybrid powertrain.

My wife thought the Kia was probably second on her list--but I do remember her commenting on how much better the Pacifica drove than any of the others. I won't disagree with that, after driving it for this past weekend. It handles beautifully, better than I remember our Honda handling.

Reactions: kenchills

·
Registered
2021 Pinnacle Hybrid
28 Posts
We were considering the Carnival, their VIP seating in the Prestige SX trim caught our eye for a bit when we thought about all the far away sports tourneys and stuff with the kids...but ultimately it came down to us not wanting any part of the Telluride Phenomenon where people are lining up to pay thousands OVER MSRP in order to buy one of KIA’s products.
They might be wonderful vehicles. We simply can’t get on board with that way of doing things...but to each his own.
We are extremely happy we went with the Pacifica Hybrid.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
No comments on the Carnival? It's the only other minivan I'd consider. I hate the look inside/out of everything else. At least Kia is (once again) shaking things up with good appearance and materials. But, the lack of a PHEV option pretty much sealed the deal for us. The Pinnacle PacHy is more premium than the Carnival, but I do prefer the exterior looks of the Carnival, along with its vastly superior tech/driver assistance features

So what vastly superior tech/driver assistance features are you talking about ?

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle
11 Posts
I bought the PacHy for 2 reasons; 6 cylinders vs 4 in the Sienna. $7500 credit vs Kia. And I’m loving not using gas.
I did like the Kia better overall, but I got the PacHy pinnacle OTD for 45388 and they told me the SX Prestige was 55k OTD. Plus add8000 in rebates, 37400 for the PacHy is almost 20k less. And the chance to trade in next year for more than that and do this all over again???? No brainier.

but the Kia did have better driver assistance: Nav Cruise Control, cabin talk I believe, better captains chairs, and a few other things I can’t remember. It sucks that you can’t get the sunroof unless you go prestige, because I really liked the bench option, and would have considered the SX if it had a sunroof. But price point can’t be beat on the deal I got. So it wins

·
Super Moderator
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I won't disagree.

Two weekends ago my wife (and I) went to the automall to drive all four minivans. Our van history was Toyota Previa (loved it) and a 2002 and a 2007 Odyssey. Also we love Toyota...
Man I loved that egg. Such a cool minivan.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ya I really considered the Carnival, glad I didn’t get it. Gas is almost $4 a gallon on the West coast, the Kia gets 18-19 mpg in town. I love driving on all electric so much, I had a bmw i3 and loved it. I also know the Uconnect is way better resolution and the operating system is better than kia’s IMO.The resolution and color of the Kia nav is not good. I test drove a telluride and didn’t buy it just because of the low end nav and graphics. It looked really dated. So does the Sienna infotainment system. Ya and I don’t agree that Kia has a way better safety tech group. I just sold my Mercedes that only had blind spot monitor, rain sensing wipers and auto dimming headlights, that’s it for 64k.... when I came back to the Pacifica I was really happy with all of the safety features especially the safety sphere group on my L hybrid. Surround view is awesome, crisp cameras. I do like the camera on Kia better when it comes on with a blinker to show blind spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle
11 Posts
What is that? I checked the online manual, what they describe is no different from ACC in Pacifica.
I believe that it knows what turns are coming, so it slows down on curves etc. I never got to try it to review it, but it sounds very useful.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
245 Posts
The Carnival has a all digital dash and has feature the turns on cameras with the blinkers. I have to admit that caught my eye. Just not enough for me to get rid of Stow-N-Go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We set out to buy the Kia Carnival last weekend. Test drove, super nice. Inside was beautiful. LOVE the look of the outside. We drove the Prestige but wanted the SX. With car seats in the second row, we had no need for the dentist chairs. We went back to Kia the next day sans kids to do another drive and really get a feel. Found out they were doing a stop sale on Carnival’s for the weekend due to a batch having bad fuel pumps or something. No big deal, we sat in an SX, liked it. Loved the bench seat option with the fold down table over captains chairs. Chatted with the sales guy about features, etc. Said we’d think about it. We about 99.9% sure we’d do a deposit when they had one coming we wanted.

Next day decided before we pull the trigger to look at one other van. Sienna and Odyssey weren’t contenders for us. So, in comes our trip to see the Pacifica. I was super closed off at first. Figured we were wasting our time. Literally the minute we got in the Limited, I was sold. I knew it was for us. We love the hybrid option, (none available in the Carnival)) the fold down rear entertainment (Kia’s is just waiting for my kids to knock off), loved the odometer display screen vs the Carnival’s SX. I love the way the Pacifica drove vs the Carnival. We made a whole list of both negatives and positives. They were pretty neck and neck but the Pacifica won out for the hybrid option and price alone.

It came down to numbers and with the incentives, options, rebate, we couldn’t pass the Pacifica up. We likely would have paid MSRP or over for the Carnival once we even found the one we wanted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Carnival has a all digital dash and has feature the turns on cameras with the blinkers. I have to admit that caught my eye. Just not enough for me to get rid of Stow-N-Go.
That is a such cool feature I was bummed it was only available in the Prestige. SX had a pretty disappointing analog dash with a tiny screen, imho.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The Sienna only got 3 and 4 star crash ratings for front passengers! WTH? On a brand new platform to boot.

·
Registered
2021 Pinnacle Hybrid
28 Posts
The pricing on the Carnival was a major turn-off for us.
These were prices I was quoted before taxes and fees:
Carnival LX $35,225
LX with seat package $37,720
EX $41,725
SX $44,320
SX with Prestige $49,815

The only “incentive” was $750 off for financing through KIA.

Also, when I asked another dealership if they were charging anything above MSRP, this was the reply from the sales person:
“Yes we do have a $1,750 addendum but we do give you 2 tire rotations, 2 oil changes, door ding protection, key replacement and polysteel.“

To each their own...but I have a hard time understanding why people are willing to pay anything above the stated “suggested” retail price.
I get the whole consumer driven marketplace/supply-demand stuff...but this just seems odd to me.

Oh well, best of luck to all KIA and Pacifica people...heck, giddy up to all VanFolk!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
So I’m confused the blinker shows the camera on the blind spot where ? So if your turning and blinker is on where is the blind spot resolution showing up on ?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
So if your driving this comes on at the instrument cluster as such ? So your taking your eye off of what’s around you front and side and looking down . ?
2A8CC431-B990-4CD4-9D34-177BF861199B.png

·
Registered
256 Posts
So if your driving this comes on at the instrument cluster as such ? So your taking your eye off of what’s around you front and side and looking down . ? View attachment 46461
Glad I’m not the only one that thinks this is a goofy feature. A $5 set of 2” spot mirrors fixes the blind spot issue on my cars. And I don’t have to take my eyes off my mirrors to make a lane change. Doesn’t make sense to check the mirror then check the Instrument cluster to make sure the lane is clear, meanwhile taking eyes off the road. Seems like a gimmick to me. But I guess it will get folks to use a blinker, so there is that. Reminds me of my blind spot monitors on my Audi, it would blink if I had the blinker on and there was something in the blind spot, but it was so conservative that I had it blinking at me a lot when I was making a change, but due to the spots, I could see I was clear to make my change. At least you could turn off the beeping on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
A $5 set of 2” spot mirrors fixes the blind spot issue on my cars.
Setting the mirrors correctly means no blind spots, period. No additional hardware needed.

No need to turn your head, add funky little weird mirrors, nothing. And no need for a camera system that will fail as the car ages.

Shoot, even Honda has gone away from the idea of putting a camera image up when you hit the turn signal. They did it for awhile, but it's gone.

I might add, all these strange little "driver aids" can make it difficult if not impossible to get into any other random car (rental, etc) and drive it well. If you've completely gotten away from the basics and have come to expect the technology that's on YOUR car to be there, you're in for a surprise.

I mourn for kids who learn today in a car like that, without knowing the basics that every car has and can do. Like setting the mirrors instead of depending on a camera.

Reactions: mkaz311 and Norbert
1 - 20 of 39 Posts