2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to figure out the best way to get my 2017 Pacifica Touring L to Chrysler without using a tow service. I can't start the car. The brakes are stiff and can't be pushed down. When I push start it goes to ACC and then to Run but the engine won't start. The malfunction light is on. Any chance this might be a battery issue? I am just a hair over 36K miles. I hope Chrysler doesn't charge to fix this!

Also tried again and noticed that I am able to go straight to Run mode but the shifter lights aren't on and there is a message that says "Service Shifter."

·
Registered
88 Posts
Might be a low battery. Can you get a voltmeter to read the voltage on the battery?

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,312 Posts
I am trying to figure out the best way to get my 2017 Pacifica Touring L to Chrysler without using a tow service. I can't start the car. The brakes are stiff and can't be pushed down. When I push start it goes to ACC and then to Run but the engine won't start. The malfunction light is on. Any chance this might be a battery issue? I am just a hair over 36K miles. I hope Chrysler doesn't charge to fix this!

Also tried again and noticed that I am able to go straight to Run mode but the shifter lights aren't on and there is a message that says "Service Shifter."
Welcome to the forum. If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, etc.) in the signature line of the UserCP it will show up at the bottom of each post.

Sounds like a battery issue. Have you tried to jump start the van? When the battery is dead, those are some of the symptoms. When my van's battery was dead, that was some of what happened. When the battery is dead you may get some other system messages, but not one that says "check battery". The battery will probably need checked and replaced. If van has over 36K miles, you will probably have to pay for the battery and whatever else is charged by the dealer. If you get the van to start (after being jump started) you could take the van somewhere else or have someone replace the battery.

You can check the battery volts in the "run" position while off by using the arrows on the left side of the steering wheel. Even though I was pretty sure my van's battery was dead, I checked and it said about 8.6V or something like that (under 12V isn't a good sign). It had started fine that morning, but it was dead in the afternoon for no apparent reason. I was able to jump start it and drove to the dealer to have it evaluated and the battery was replaced.

Does your van have one or two batteries? If it has ESS, it has an aux battery in addition to the main 12V battery. My van doesn't have ESS. It has one main 12V battery.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks like a battery issue. Its hard to tow when locked but if yours is not a hybrid i think there is a way to pull a knob and put it in neutral. Check your manual. Perhaps call mopar before trnasfer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I am going to figure out how to remove the battery and get a replacement. Hopefully that's the issue. Thanks also for the tip on adding the vehicle type to the signature. Just did that.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Thanks all. I am going to figure out how to remove the battery and get a replacement. Hopefully that's the issue. Thanks also for the tip on adding the vehicle type to the signature. Just did that.
You might find this thread interesting. You might want to check the manufacture date on the driver's door and note if you have ESS when looking for a battery. I attached a video at post 41 that shows the replacement process for a gas van if you haven't found it already. Let us know how it goes.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/foru...cement-procedure.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks SciTchr, that was an informative thread. Curious what the battery gauge says now. I did replace the battery and everything works now. I took out the old battery and brought it into Autozone and their tester showed that the battery was bad. So I picked up a new one there, replaced it and then brought the van back to check if the alternator was ok. Thankfully that's all it is.

Replacing the battery was more complicated than my previous vehicles - a Nissan Murano and a Toyota Camry. Found a YouTube video which helped. This was a monster battery too. Much heavier than the ones used in the Camry or Murano.

I noticed there are 2 batteries in the Pacifica. The smaller of the 2 is used to power the elecronics but is not used to start the engine. This explains why the UConnect screen came on. It does make you think that it's not a battery issue.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thanks SciTchr, that was an informative thread. Curious what the battery gauge says now. I did replace the battery and everything works now. I took out the old battery and brought it into Autozone and their tester showed that the battery was bad. So I picked up a new one there, replaced it and then brought the van back to check if the alternator was ok. Thankfully that's all it is.

Replacing the battery was more complicated than my previous vehicles - a Nissan Murano and a Toyota Camry. Found a YouTube video which helped. This was a monster battery too. Much heavier than the ones used in the Camry or Murano.

I noticed there are 2 batteries in the Pacifica. The smaller of the 2 is used to power the elecronics but is not used to start the engine. This explains why the UConnect screen came on. It does make you think that it's not a battery issue.
Excellent! If you could post the name/model of the battery that might be helpful to folks here. I'm presuming the smaller battery is for ESS which I also presume you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took pictures of the original batteries just in case I forgot their exact position. The smaller one is what I think is being referred to as an ESS. It is the larger one that I replaced. Sorry I know I have a lot more Googling to do before I am caught up. For now I am just glad I don't have to tow the van.

The battery I got from Autozone was a Duralast - ProPower Ultra Battery H7-DLG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

Glad you got it figured out and your van is working. Thanks for updating the thread.

You can check the battery volts by going to "vehicle info" using the up and down arrows on the left side of the steering wheel and then you use left and right arrows until you get to battery info. A new battery usually shows 14-15V running and about or over 12V if checked in the "run" position without the engine running (without your foot on the brake, push the start button twice).

There may be better and more accurate ways to check the battery, but this gives you an idea of how things are going. (The numbers will be smaller if the headlights are on.)

Reactions: kkon

·
Registered
45 Posts

Just an fyi, even if your brakes are stiff you can still start your vehicle. Just step on the brake. Even if it doesn't go down with pressure as long as you are PRESSING it with your foot, it will start.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Just an fyi, even if your brakes are stiff you can still start your vehicle. Just step on the brake. Even if it doesn't go down with pressure as long as you are PRESSING it with your foot, it will start.
Not sure how van will start if battery is dead. I had a very dead battery (8.6V or so) a few months ago and no matter how hard I pressed the brake, it wasn't going to start. I tried starting it several times before calling to have the battery jumped which then allowed the van to start. Battery was tested at the dealer and was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Not sure how van will start if battery is dead. I had a very dead battery (8.6V or so) a few months ago and no matter how hard I pressed the brake, it wasn't going to start. I tried starting it several times before calling to have the battery jumped which then allowed the van to start. Battery was tested at the dealer and was replaced under warranty.
Hope you have better luck with this 'new' battery. Are you able to tell how old it is?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Hope you have better luck with this 'new' battery. Are you able to tell how old it is?
Thanks. I can't see any date stamp on the Mopar battery that I've had since May.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Thanks. I can't see any date stamp on the Mopar battery that I've had since May.
:frown2: Trying to make things as complicated as possible:
I haven't tried looking at my OE battery to see if this is relevant....

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Is a battery covered under an extended Mopar warranty?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is amazing. I replaced my battery on July 9th last year and today I could not start my car without a jump start. So I’m guessing my Duralast has seen better days. Anyone else having issues with batteries not lasting a year? My ESS battery has been dead for a while so the engine auto stop doesn’t work. Will check to see if Autozone has it.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
This is amazing. I replaced my battery on July 9th last year and today I could not start my car without a jump start. So I’m guessing my Duralast has seen better days. Anyone else having issues with batteries not lasting a year? My ESS battery has been dead for a while so the engine auto stop doesn’t work. Will check to see if Autozone has it.
My first battery lasted 28 months. The replacement lasted 4 months. Current battery is over 12 months old and seems ok. There was a recall related to grounding issues that came out about then (summer 2019). Check Mopar website to see if recall applies to your van. I've read that if the aux battery dies it can cause the other battery to die so you may want to get both checked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My first battery lasted 28 months. The replacement lasted 4 months. Current battery is over 12 months old and seems ok. There was a recall related to grounding issues that came out about then (summer 2019). Check Mopar website to see if recall applies to your van. I've read that if the aux battery dies it can cause the other battery to die so you may want to get both checked.
I have the UConnect app which lets me know of recalls. i am current now however I will check mopar as well. is your van the 2017 model? And you Had that recall taken care of?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts