2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been without my Pacifica for almost a month. It was running rough. And at 77k miles (2017 Pacifica Touring NOT Hybrid, for reference)... I took it to the dealership for v75k maintenance, and figured plugs would need to be changed. They told my my battery was leaking acid. And that would be 425 to fix... also, Spark Plugs needed to be changed, and that was 699... Also, the Oil Cooler was cracked And leaking... that would be 1650 to replace... but If I opted to do that, plus would only be 299 since they would already be opening the engine.

I told him to pass on the battery, I can replace that... but to do the plugs and oil cooler. 7 days later, I go to pick it up.. pay 1650 for work done, abs head out to get my van. Get inside, go to start it. Click. nothing. try again. nothing. go back inside abs tell him it won't start. he said it had been sitting for a couple of days, and he had suggested that I replace the battery, so that was probably it. Service department was closing, so he sent a guy out to jump it... reminding me again that it was a 425 fix to do the battery. after trying multiple different battery packs, no luck. Click. Click. Click. not even TRYING to turn over. He said they would look at it first thing the following Monday ( of course this happened on a saturday night ).
Sunday I bought a new battery abs installed it in the lot. Nothing. Click.
Monday morning go in, her opens a new ticket and says they'll look at it. Tuesday, get a call. "Starter motor failed. they can have one overnighted, because nothing available b west of the Mississippi. 1750 pays and labor. what? why? clearly it worked when I brought it in. then you did the work and moved it.. and now nothing?
he says " Yeah.. we moved it into the bay.. did work.. drive it out. drive it to be washed.. drive it to the front where it sat for three days. I don't know... these parts just fail sometimes. I complain.. none of this covered by warranty? he calls back 45 min later.. we did an audit, the oil cooler was covered, so we'll be refunding you 945.. but starter isn't.. so difference will be 790... I said nevermind, Ill tow it if the lot.

Tow to local repair shop with great reputation. they call next day.. yes, it's starter motor. e need to ship it from back east, so 850 parts/labor. MUCH better.
pick it up 5 days later. pay. start it up.. stifles a hand second then starts. NICE. drive it to has station to fill up... drive it to store to get groceries... drive it home.
Get in this morning to go to work. Click.

nothing.

what in the entire heck!?

does ANYONE have any ideas what might be wrong? Im out of free towing miles, so I want to see if Im missing anything before I pay to have it towed back to the auto shop.

I'm SO frustrated...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Do you have engine stop/start? Early 2017 models did not. It was incorporated later in the model year. If you do have ESS, did you change both batteries? If the ESS battery is bad it will drain down the primary battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have engine stop/start? Early 2017 models did not. It was incorporated later in the model year. If you do have ESS, did you change both batteries? If the ESS battery is bad it will drain down the primary battery.
I do not have ESS...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also... I get an E up at the top of the display where v the gear indicator would be. Check engine light comes on, but no codes pop up on my Fixd sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I just noticed, also, that the Start Stop button won't go into Accessory mode.. when pushing it from an off positron, without v depressing the brake, it goes straight to run, back to off. then to run... it won't seem to engage ACC mode...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If you have no hard codes and no ess on this van what happened to the battery . They said it was leaking but it’s a sealed unit , where was it leaking from ? Are you the original owner ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not the original owner, but have owned it since 2018. I had 32k miles when In purchased it in 2018, leading be to believe it was either a rental or fleet vehicle. Neither here nor there, I have since replaced the battery with a brand new AGM battery, to no avail...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not the original owner, but have owned it since 2018. I had 32k miles when In purchased it in 2018, leading be to believe it was either a rental or fleet vehicle. Neither here nor there, I have since replaced the battery with a brand new AGM battery, to no avail...
Your no start symptoms sound a lot like issue I had a couple of years ago with a 2010 Town & Country. That van had a 4.0 L V6 w/6-speed 62TE FWD transmission. No start, only clicks when randomly attempting a start after sitting. No MIL codes ever found set, after both the battery and the starter had been replaced, all starting circuits connections and grounds were good. Through a whole lot of online reading, frustrating trial and error checking and changing out the same components you have plus the TIPM, my starting issue turned out being a intermittent failing “range sensor” within the transmission. On that van, I learned that I could manually shift the cable connected dash mounted gear shifter a few times actuating the transmission range sensor into completing the starting circuits to get ‘er going, but eventually, the no starts became more frequent. Too big a job for me at home so I took it to AAMCO after speaking with them about all that I had already checked and changed and what I suspected from reading about the potential of a intermittently failing range sensor. AAMCO solved my root cause starting problem with a new range sensor for $500 all in. Your 2017 Pacifica has a newer 9-speed 948TE electronic transmission with a electronic knob shifter, so there’s no manually shifting capability from inside the van to try, but the next time you have a starting problem, maybe try the electronic knob a few times to shift your transmission then try starting the engine again ? I. also really don’t know if the 948TE also has a similar range sensor for the van’s starting circuits to know what gear your transmission is in at starting, but if operating the shifter knob a few times through the gear positions helps you start your van, I’d give serious consideration to whatever form of transmission range sensor the 948TE has as being the root cause of your frustrating starting issue. Good luck and don’t give up…as anything built by man, can be fixed by man.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the reply. I can't seem to figure out a way to try to manually shift it when it won't start, though. The knob is locked in place until the vehicle starts... which it still won't.

is there a way to shift the knob withoutc the vehicle starting?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I honestly did not know how to manually shift the newer electronic knob transmissions until reading Jeremy M.’s post above…thank you very much for that ! No idea if trying those steps will help start a potentially acting up transmission range sensor or not, but after my T&C experience, I’d be a pulling the red tether a few times with my foot firmly on the brake to give it a try, it seems easy enough to try…just make sure that you get your transmission back into Park if your van doesn’t start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts