2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

· Registered
5,571 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Just discovered paint bubbling up in two areas on the front edge of the hood , I remember my car on the lift with the hood open for oil change with lights on in the work area I waited almost 2hrs to have my oil changed wonder if paint damage happened at the dealer with hood left open on the lift with hot light from above. I don't know what to do?. I will post photos later
I have had three of those situations. Town & Country's and Pacificas have a warranty that covers the replacement of the hoods and or repair just talk to you Chrysler rep or your dealer they should know about it.

· Registered
26 Posts
Just discovered paint bubbling up in two areas on the front edge of the hood , I remember my car on the lift with the hood open for oil change with lights on in the work area I waited almost 2hrs to have my oil changed wonder if paint damage happened at the dealer with hood left open on the lift with hot light from above. I don't know what to do?. I will post photos later
Sadly, this is a common problem. I just discovered it on my 2018 when two months out of warranty—my problem. If you’re still under full bumper to bumper warranty, take it to dealer. My expensive Chrysler extended warranty does not cover it.

· Registered
ᑭᗩᑕᕼY 200,000+ ᗰIᒪE ᑕᒪᑌᗷ
517 Posts
Sadly, this is a common problem. I just discovered it on my 2018 when two months out of warranty—my problem. If you’re still under full bumper to bumper warranty, take it to dealer. My expensive Chrysler extended warranty does not cover it.
Did you verify that with Chrysler? I just had my 2017 covered under warranty. The dealer was clueless and told me the wrong date for my warranty timeframe. When it comes to Chrysler verify everything because the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

· Registered
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited, fully loaded.
75 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've heard this issue come up a few times in the past in this forum. Possibly a quick search might result in being informative. It's worth a try. Good luck.

· Registered
2021 Touring L
53 Posts
This is a common problem with these vehicles and was a problem with the Town & Country as well.
DO NOT let them 'FIX' it as it will come right back, the hood needs replaced and it is covered under the corrosion warranty.
I retired from a Chrysler dealer and replaced many hoods for this.
This is caused by trapped moisture .
The only way to prevent it is to spray a wax based coating inside the front edge of the hood.
I sprayed it in my hood a week after delivery.

· Registered
ᑭᗩᑕᕼY 200,000+ ᗰIᒪE ᑕᒪᑌᗷ
517 Posts
This is a common problem with these vehicles and was a problem with the Town & Country as well.
DO NOT let them 'FIX' it as it will come right back, the hood needs replaced and it is covered under the corrosion warranty.
The only way to prevent it is to spray a wax based coating inside the front edge of the hood.
Will have to try that after the recommended curing duration of 90 days. Wax does interrupt the curing process and they told me not to wax the newly repainted hood for up to 90 days to allow it to fully cure.

· Registered
95 Posts
Not from the light. Just parked in the sun will do it. It's a common problem with the aluminum hoods.My 2017 is covered with blisters.

· Registered
2018 Pacifica Sport with 20inch wheels .
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Not from the light. Just parked in the sun will do it. It's a common problem with the aluminum hoods.My 2017 is covered with blisters.
Let's see what happens after the dealer takes the pics to submit to the BIG Guy I mean CHrysler for approval. I have a bunch of deliveries lined up

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks for sharing sir & god bless

· Registered
ᑭᗩᑕᕼY 200,000+ ᗰIᒪE ᑕᒪᑌᗷ
517 Posts
Can you explain how this process works? My vehicle was in and out within 2 days for this job. No hassle and none of the back and forth denial/approval from Chrysler. Why are some people going through a completely different process than others?

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Can you explain how this process works? My vehicle was in and out within 2 days for this job. No hassle and none of the back and forth denial/approval from Chrysler. Why are some people going through a completely different process than others?
Interesting I guess i will find out soon enough

· Registered
14 Posts
I'll give my experience here for my 2017 with almost 60k miles

I purchased the van in Nov 2021 knowing about the hood corrosion issue. Mine was relatively minor.

I took it to a dealer that has an onsite body shop in Late Jan. 2022. They said no problem, its covered under warranty. They would replace the hood completely.
Fast forward to March and I hear nothing back, supposedly they had no record of me coming in the first time LOL. I take it in again and they once again take photos of the issue to submit the warranty claim.

Life happens and fast forward to June with no reply. I call them back and all the sudden they say great, we are ordering the parts and it will take a few weeks. They would paint the hood then have me come in to swap it out. I had to come in one last time so they could use a color analyzer to ensure a good match (mine is white (no pearl).

Finally, I was able to set an appointment this week and they gave me a loaner (another Pacifica, which surprise, also had hood corrosion!) for a day while they performed the work. The color match looks great and the hood is brand new. It was a long process mainly due to my dealer being seemingly very disorganized, but I'm happy it's done. I had to pay $0 out of pocket. I'm sure if it were out of warranty it would've easily been $2k+.

My 2 cents. Poke and prod until they replace the entire hood! The body shop told me almost every Chrysler Dodge Jeep in the last 5 years with aluminum hoods have the same issue, and cannot be fixed without replacing the hood entirely, as it is an issue with the substrate under the paint. The warranty also covers 5yrs, unlimited mileage.

· Registered
ᑭᗩᑕᕼY 200,000+ ᗰIᒪE ᑕᒪᑌᗷ
517 Posts
I'll give my experience here for my 2017 with almost 60k miles

I purchased the van in Nov 2021 knowing about the hood corrosion issue. Mine was relatively minor.

I took it to a dealer that has an onsite body shop in Late Jan. 2022. They said no problem, its covered under warranty. They would replace the hood completely.
Fast forward to March and I hear nothing back, supposedly they had no record of me coming in the first time LOL. I take it in again and they once again take photos of the issue to submit the warranty claim.

Life happens and fast forward to June with no reply. I call them back and all the sudden they say great, we are ordering the parts and it will take a few weeks. They would paint the hood then have me come in to swap it out. I had to come in one last time so they could use a color analyzer to ensure a good match (mine is white (no pearl).

Finally, I was able to set an appointment this week and they gave me a loaner (another Pacifica, which surprise, also had hood corrosion!) for a day while they performed the work. The color match looks great and the hood is brand new. It was a long process mainly due to my dealer being seemingly very disorganized, but I'm happy it's done. I had to pay $0 out of pocket. I'm sure if it were out of warranty it would've easily been $2k+.

My 2 cents. Poke and prod until they replace the entire hood! The body shop told me almost every Chrysler Dodge Jeep in the last 5 years with aluminum hoods have the same issue, and cannot be fixed without replacing the hood entirely, as it is an issue with the substrate under the paint. The warranty also covers 5yrs, unlimited mileage.
Thanks for that.

About the warranty on the repair, where did you find that info? Would like to get that nailed down so that if it resurfaces can get it replaced/repaired again under warranty.

· Registered
3,332 Posts
Hello Almartell75,

Thank you for grabbing our attention. Have you tried reaching out to our Customer Care Team regarding this concern? If you would like further assistance, please send us a PM with your VIN, we'd be happy to assist you.

William
Chrysler Cares

21 - 40 of 75 Posts