2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

221 - 240 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Same exact issue on my 2017. Not sure why mine is just now showing up at 40,000 miles but this sucks! I do have an extended warranty.

Seems like this is a major problem given its impacting a lot of customers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The hood on our 2017 is scheduled to be painted on Tuesday. I took it to the dealership on Friday where they took pictures and submitted to Chrysler. They called me Saturday to tell me that the repair had been approved. Chrysler has approved a rental for two days, although I told them I don’t need a rental van since the family is stuck at home at the moment... I am hoping this fix is permanent.

·
Super Moderator
564 Posts
So I talked to the body shop that the dealer uses for stripping and repainting for this paint issue and he explained why it is a problem from the factory.

So the hood, sliding doors, and tailgate are all aluminum which is already hard to paint to begin with. During the forming/shaping process of these aluminum parts the edges/seams are folded and rolled with steel rollers. When the Aluminum(Anode) and Steel(cathode) made contact they started to corrode that very second on a microscopic level. After if was done being formed and painted over it sealed that chemical reaction in and it slowly started to offgas causing the bubbling issue mainly on the edge of the sliding doors, sliding doors, and in rare circumstances the tailgate. The body shop said the tailgate was produced slightly different and rarely becomes an issue but like I said earlier - aluminum is already hard to paint to begin with.

So, hopefully this puts some of your worries about the whole van rusting to pieces before your eyes to rest. :D(y)

·
Super Moderator
564 Posts
They gave me a Dodge Grand Caravan for a rental and wow, I'm glad we didn't buy one of those ?? noisy, uncomfortable, and rough riding. I know they are like the same subframes and built on the same line but, wow, they are not built the same. The backup camera reminds me of the old flip phones picture quality

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am going back for the second round of bubbling paint on the hood. 2017 Pacifica - took it in January 2019 and they repainted the hood. March 2020 started to bubble again. I have asked for a new hood and am getting the run around
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
They did not do the job properly the first time. Contact Chrysler, maybe through @ChryslerCares.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The hood on our 2017 is scheduled to be painted on Tuesday. I took it to the dealership on Friday where they took pictures and submitted to Chrysler. They called me Saturday to tell me that the repair had been approved. Chrysler has approved a rental for two days, although I told them I don’t need a rental van since the family is stuck at home at the moment... I am hoping this fix is permanent.
How many miles do you have?

·
Super Moderator
564 Posts
How many miles do you have?
If you're concerned about miles for warranty, corrosion warranty is by time only, not miles. Mine is 6 years I think with unlimited miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just discovered the same bubbles are on the hood of our Pacifica as well. It is a white 2017. They were not there last week. Glad we found this forum. It is a lease vehicle and we are scheduled to turn it in by June 15, 2020.
With this pandemic we are concerned as to being able to get all the information to the right people and the process it takes. Any suggestions as to how to prevent us being charged for this ? We will take pictures of course. I think the service area is closed for now. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
564 Posts
We just discovered the same bubbles are on the hood of our Pacifica as well. It is a white 2017. They were not there last week. Glad we found this forum. It is a lease vehicle and we are scheduled to turn it in by June 15, 2020.
With this pandemic we are concerned as to being able to get all the information to the right people and the process it takes. Any suggestions as to how to prevent us being charged for this ? We will take pictures of course. I think the service area is closed for now. Thanks for any help.
I had mine painted just about 2 weeks ago had zero issues actually with the pandemic it was super easy and quick to get in because nobody is going out. The dealership is open and the service department. It should be under warranty so you should not be charged a penny for it. If you have to turn it in june 15th I suggest you bring it into your dealer ASAP have them submit the pictures to have it repainted under warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So my wifes 2017 is doing this badly... its at 52k miles.. I just chatted with Chrysler Cares who setup an appointment for us at the dealer but she said that if this issue falls under the basic warranty I am out of luck... I mentioned the 5yr corrosion warranty and got some kind of run around answer and I told her this is a wide spread problem and even linked this forum, this is CLEARLY a manufactures defect and there is NO WAY we should have to pay for this out of hour pockets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We took ours in this morning And the hood was replaced . Has 40k on it and is a lease .
TOLD them we had read about this on a Pacifica forum .
No problem in replacing hood .
set this up with body shop at dealer .
don’t give up!

·
Registered
21 Posts
We took ours in this morning And the hood was replaced . Has 40k on it and is a lease .
don’t give up!
What did they cover it under if your warranty is up? and probably since its a lease vehicle they would be more out to fix it since you'll turn it in when the lease is up. Im glad they fixed yours but im just having a hard time being optimistic about our situation.

·
Super Moderator
564 Posts
So my wifes 2017 is doing this badly... its at 52k miles.. I just chatted with Chrysler Cares who setup an appointment for us at the dealer but she said that if this issue falls under the basic warranty I am out of luck... I mentioned the 5yr corrosion warranty and got some kind of run around answer and I told her this is a wide spread problem and even linked this forum, this is CLEARLY a manufactures defect and there is NO WAY we should have to pay for this out of hour pockets.
Yes, it is 100% corrosion warranty, they obviously do not know what they are doing. Also It goes by time not miles.

·
Super Moderator
564 Posts
don’t give up!
The hood was replaced or repainted?

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring-L, Bright White with Black leather. Built 2/17. Purchased new 7/17.
5 Posts
Nearly 3 year old Pacifica. Bought new. Paint bubbles at front edge of hood.

·
Super Moderator
564 Posts

·
Super Moderator
564 Posts
So even if the hood is aluminum it should be covered right? And thanks for that info.
Yes, the reason the hood is bubbling is because of the fact it is aluminum and the lip was formed with steel rollers. Galvanic corrosion at a microscopic level slowly caused outgasing under the paint which causes the bubbles. 100% warranty by time and unlimited miles.

221 - 240 of 261 Posts