2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

241 - 260 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, the reason the hood is bubbling is because of the fact it is aluminum and the lip was formed with steel rollers. Galvanic corrosion at a microscopic level slowly caused outgasing under the paint which causes the bubbles. 100% warranty by time and unlimited miles.
Thank you so much for the info.. I have an appointment to tomorrow and they are supposed to take pictures and I guess send it to corporate? Does that sound like the standard thing they do?

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring-L, Bright White with Black leather. Built 2/17. Purchased new 7/17.
5 Posts
They scraped off the bubbles to send to Chrysler. Hood is now showing bare metal. Not too cute. I hope they figure it out quickly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What?! if they did that then they HAVE to fix it! When I go in tomorrow they better give me a heads up if they have to do any scraping!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
They scraped off the bubbles to send to Chrysler. Hood is now showing bare metal. Not too cute. I hope they figure it out quickly.
They usually just take pictures. Why did they scrape it?

Edit: Never mind. I looked back, and see it was the second repaint. They want to figure out why it was not done right the first time.

·
Super Moderator
564 Posts
Thank you so much for the info.. I have an appointment to tomorrow and they are supposed to take pictures and I guess send it to corporate? Does that sound like the standard thing they do?
Yes, almost all warranty work requires photos when possible. Completely normal and should have no problem getting it repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The guy at the dealership kept bringing up the fact its out of paint warranty but I told him repeatedly this is a corrosion problem, not a paint problem.. Im not an idiot. They took the photos and submitted them to Chrysler so now I just have to wait.. ours is really bad too, worse than any of the photos I have seen on this forum anyway.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If you're concerned about miles for warranty, corrosion warranty is by time only, not miles. Mine is 6 years I think with unlimited miles.
Thanks. I had another area bubble up. I brought it in and they are going to send the hood in to a paint shop an hour away to get it done. No questions no gripes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Okay so the dealer took photos of the HORRIBLE bubbling which is ALL along the front of the hood and submitted them to Chrysler and Chrysler is now telling the dealer that they will not cover it due to mileage and the the fact we are the 2nd owners? WTF kinda bs is that? Why does it matter that we are the 2nd owners and why does mileage matter when the Corrosion warranty is 5yrs unlimited miles? What do I do now? speak with the service manager over Chrysler?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I guess if need be I’ll take this to my local news station and give Chrysler some unwanted publicity. This is unacceptable and the way they just threw us to the side and acted like they don’t care even though it’s a wide spread issue is disgusting.. my first and last Chrysler vehicle!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Now checked mine and found a bubble on that hood edge above driver side head light as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Now checked mine and found a bubble on that hood edge above driver side head light as well.
I am disgusted with Chrysler.. its like they are pretending the 5yr unlimited mileage warranty on the outside panels for corrosion doesnt exist.. they are asking for a lawsuit imo. My case has been escalated with Chrysler Cares so im waiting till this week for a call back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Okay so the dealer took photos of the HORRIBLE bubbling which is ALL along the front of the hood and submitted them to Chrysler and Chrysler is now telling the dealer that they will not cover it due to mileage and the the fact we are the 2nd owners? WTF kinda bs is that? Why does it matter that we are the 2nd owners and why does mileage matter when the Corrosion warranty is 5yrs unlimited miles? What do I do now? speak with the service manager over Chrysler?
Based on forum posts, it appears that Chrysler has replaced, and attempted repairs of numerous aluminum panels (predominantly hoods). It is possible that your dealer referred your problem to a "factory rep" who is not "up to speed".

All of the automakers are having profound, widespread problems with galvanic corrosion of aluminum panels. They all have aluminum panels attached to steel frames/mounts/etc. without being completely isolated, which results in the galvanic reaction. I know firsthand that Ford dealers don't even need factory reps to authorize replacing hoods, and good dealers (with their own body-shops) won't even attempt a "repair & repaint", knowing that it will fail in short order.

If you have personally contacted Chrysler Customer Service (via the 800 number), and received a Case Number, hopefully the problem will be resolved. I am sure that many of us on this forum will be very interested to hear if Chrysler resolves your corrosion problem properly, or if we are collectively to expect unacceptable non-service from them. Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Based on forum posts, it appears that Chrysler has replaced, and attempted repairs of numerous aluminum panels (predominantly hoods). It is possible that your dealer referred your problem to a "factory rep" who is not "up to speed".

All of the automakers are having profound, widespread problems with galvanic corrosion of aluminum panels. They all have aluminum panels attached to steel frames/mounts/etc. without being completely isolated, which results in the galvanic reaction. I know firsthand that Ford dealers don't even need factory reps to authorize replacing hoods, and good dealers (with their own body-shops) won't even attempt a "repair & repaint", knowing that it will fail in short order.

If you have personally contacted Chrysler Customer Service (via the 800 number), and received a Case Number, hopefully the problem will be resolved. I am sure that many of us on this forum will be very interested to hear if Chrysler resolves your corrosion problem properly, or if we are collectively to expect unacceptable non-service from them. Please keep us informed.
Thank you! I am going to keep everyone informed with how this goes.. we are just utterly disgusted with the entire thing at the moment and will not take no for an answer... If I have to make this public via news or whatever I certainly will do so... This is Chrysler's problem and I have a Warranty for it that they HAVE to honor.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Got onto this thread late but it sounds like you have been working with a bad dealership. Sounds like they might have a problem with their body shop. I bought my Pacifica used and after a year I had the hood paint bubbles. I took it to Atlantic Chrysler in Saint Augustine and they repainted the hood and got me a rental car. No cost, no questions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got onto this thread late but it sounds like you have been working with a bad dealership. Sounds like they might have a problem with their body shop. I bought my Pacifica used and after a year I had the hood paint bubbles. I took it to Atlantic Chrysler in Saint Augustine and they repainted the hood and got me a rental car. No cost, no questions.
Were you still within the 36k mile warranty period? not that you should have to be since there is a 5yr unlimited mileage corrosion warranty on the outer panels but im just curious.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I am still under the 36,000 miles, but that should make NO difference. This is a very well documented problem with many different manufacturers.

241 - 260 of 261 Posts