2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi we have 2019 version with ESS. Question is what's the best way to park & stop engine? When stop to park the engine stops and once in Park it starts again unless I disable ESS. Why to put add additional stress to the Start / Stop the engine with no apparent reason. Shall I put to park while just before the van Stops?? I am not sure why Chrysler thought this is a good idea to have unless it reduces life of stating Alternator or engine. Shall I completely disable this ESS feature? Please help..

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can just turn off the engine and it will shift to park on its own. I thought this was insane behavior as well, but it is my first vehicle with start-stop. Only 400 miles so I am still not used to it!

·
Registered
332 Posts
The forum is full of comments on this "feature". In cold weather mine seems to be always charging so ESS isn't enabled and not a problem but when it is enables there are several options that require no physical changes to your van just a process change. The first is to hit ESS disable as you enter the driveway. For me, that is just another step after the turn signal.

The second is to IMMEDIATELY switch to PARK after stopping in the parking spot. There is a slight pause before ESS engages and you can use that to your advantage. As I creep the last few inches I am ready to hit PARK.

Dumb but either works. It just requires a slight change in the way of doing things. Others have permanently disabled it.. I drive has a lot of city traffic and long train crossings so I live with it. In the end I think the maintenance will cost me more than any gas I save. There is no way of knowing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts