2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

PHEV Pacifica Coming !

7K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Breezy 
#1 ·
Estimated to receive an approximate 80mpg on the city cycle while working with electrical power.

The Pacifica PHEV will be utilizing a transmission that includes two electric motors along with a gasoline V6 for extra power and range.

Scheduled for the secon half of 2016 as a spokesman has given out and it is apparently still on track.

#2 ·
That should be 80 mpge. That is the equivalent efficiency when running on the battery. Once the battery is exhausted (after ~30 miles), it will revert to pure gasoline power, which is the typical 18/28 city/highway mpg.

#5 ·
That should be 80 mpge. That is the equivalent efficiency when running on the battery. Once the battery is exhausted (after ~30 miles), it will revert to pure gasoline power, which is the typical 18/28 city/highway mpg.
Wait, am I reading that right in that this isn't going to be a standard hybrid engine that uses electric on the lower speeds and kicks over to gas on higher like every other hybrid engine out there because that is news to me.

#3 ·
This is the same hybrid version that Chrysler's been hyping and people have been talking about for months. What am I missing?

#4 ·
Yeah, the OP appears to be late to the party, and with out-dated info. The Pacifica Hybrid is now confirmed to be delayed until early 2017 as well.

#9 ·
Thanks for that clarification. Those details are easily confused. I thought the Pacifica was going to be using a similar paradigm to the range extender. Just goes to show how effective marketing can be at muddying the water.

#10 ·
Yeah, it's easy to get confused with all the hybrids, plug-in hybrids, range extenders, and pure electric vehicles out there. And each manufacturer tends to do it a bit differently.

#11 ·
So then is the electric completely independent or will it recharge as you drive on gas via the motor? I live in a mountain region where my regular drive to the city is 45 miles up mountain which would bring the electric engine down quick. If it's a one or the other thing that has to be plugged in every time I use it, the hybrid isn't for me.

#12 ·
The gas engine will not recharge the batteries, but there will be a little bit of battery charge generated when slowing down with regenerative braking. You would definitely want to plug it in whenever possible to gain the most efficiency. I suspect that the mpg without plugging it in will only be slightly better than the non-hybrid Pacifica.

#15 ·
I imagine that the Pacifica will have something like the Volt's "Hold" mode which will allow you to save the battery for use in the city, if that's what you want to do.

It may also have a mode than allows you to recharge the battery fully or partially using the engine. This is less efficient than simply letting it run as a hybrid, but I understand that some people want this capability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.