2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that towing package will not be offered on the PHEV version for obvious reasons however I want to know if its ok to tow light weight trailers (say under 1000 lbs) like a motorcycle or jet ski trailer. Would it void the vehicle warranty if an aftermarket hitch is installed?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Chrysler has stated that the Hybrid should not be used for towing. Having a trailer hitch installed in and of itself probably wouldn't void the warranty, but if Chrysler decided that an issue down the road was caused by towing, you'd have a hard time disproving it. Not worth the risk, in my opinion. As Chrysler says, if you need to tow you should go with the gas-only version.

Reactions: justingb

·
Registered
199 Posts
The hybrid is 600 lbs heavier with a totally different transmission with integrated electric motors. The vehicle just isn't able any more weight.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The hybrid is 600 lbs heavier with a totally different transmission with integrated electric motors. The vehicle just isn't able any more weight.
Yeah, but I bet I could put a hitch on it and hook up a small 4x6 trailer with no tailgate to take my garbage to the landfill. Certainly not recommended, as generaltso highlights.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Yeah, but I bet I could put a hitch on it and hook up a small 4x6 trailer with no tailgate to take my garbage to the landfill. Certainly not recommended, as generaltso highlights.
Could you? Sure. But is it worth risking the warranty by doing something that Chrysler says not to do?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Could you? Sure. But is it worth risking the warranty by doing something that Chrysler says not to do?
First question: I'm betting it is physically possible. Second question: absolutely not (at least for me). That's why I referenced your previous post. :x

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
How about getting the hitch to attach a bike rack? I hope this is possible.
I have no doubt that an aftermarket hitch will be possible. Whether or not its installation causes any finger pointing with Chrysler on any potential warranty issues down the road is the real question.

Reactions: mmb8884

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
So I'm watching apps cast on YouTube called pacifica goes electric - autoline after hours 359 and they have the engineers on. This van has no alternator or starter, and has a different FCA designed and built transmission which is an electric tranny. It's job is gear shifting (duh) and generation to start the engine and run 12v devices as well as charge batteries.

Big reason why it can't tow! Has nothing to do with the body.

Side note, they also said Chrysler is the sole group responsible for developing the hybrid here and is responsible for developing it for the FCA group. So for people saying Chrysler is going away... Call out their BS with that.

Reactions: Hankwong88

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Here is the link

Reactions: whereismypaci

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I'm watching apps cast on YouTube called pacifica goes electric - autoline after hours 359 and they have the engineers on. This van has no alternator or starter, and has a different FCA designed and built transmission which is an electric tranny. It's job is gear shifting (duh) and generation to start the engine and run 12v devices as well as charge batteries.

Big reason why it can't tow! Has nothing to do with the body.

Side note, they also said Chrysler is the sole group responsible for developing the hybrid here and is responsible for developing it for the FCA group. So for people saying Chrysler is going away... Call out their BS with that.
You're right it has nothing to do with the body, but not quite on the alternator and starter. Those components mean nothing when towing. Towing capability has everything to do with heat rejection in the transmission and engine. If I had to guess, I'd say they probably don't have sufficient heat rejection on the electric motors and transmission to cool them properly when loaded very heavily.

My own interest in a tow package for the hybrid isn't for the ability to tow, but to be able to install a decent bike rack in the hitch receiver. We have one on our Odyssey for only that reason. For that, you only need the chassis to support the right class hitch to support the tongue weight of the rack.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yeah no the alt and starter was just starting that this is a different tranny set up and not the same as gas.

I would be shocked if the holes were not in the frame for a receiver.

Only one way to find out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm also hoping to add a hitch to our PHEV Pacifica, for the same reason—I have a hitch-mounted bike rack that I'd like to keep using. I also have a small utility trailer (4x8, single axle) that I'd like to be able to pull occasionally, but that's less important.

Our current car—a 2009 Mazda 5—also is not rated for towing (likely because it's basically a Mazda 3 with a bigger body, so it's already overloaded). However, I did a DIY install of an aftermarket hitch, and it's worked alright. I don't tow anything heavy with it (I get nervous enough pulling the little trailer), but it works for small loads. Along with the bike rack, I also have a hitch-mounted cargo carrier, which has been great for long trips (three kids in a Mazda 5 doesn't leave much room for storage).

My hunch is that the aftermarket hitches available for conventional Pacificas will also work with PHEV ones. Though, given the cost of this vehicle, and our hope of counting on the lifetime warranty we're planning to buy, I'm going to be more careful than I've been with the Mazda, even though it undoubtedly will do a better job.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Keep in mind that an aftermarket hitch will likely block the sensors for the hands-free lift gate. That may or may not matter depending on how often you would use that feature.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I saw the etrailer site said they have 2 hitches that do not block the sensor in the conventional Pacifica so I presume the same for the Hybrid.

Also, I know it is not proof of no warranty issue with aftermarket hitch for bikes, but I just noticed this on the Chysler site:

"Not Recommended lb"

Under Towing capacity for each model. It says Not recommended, as in not "Will Void Warranty". I will probably gamble on it, but will wait and see before ordering the hitch to install.

Reactions: Gohawks1224

·
Registered
562 Posts
Don't tell anybody, but if I get a Pacifica Hybrid I'll be towing a 5x8 utility trailer with it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Your secret is safe with all of us. (psst... let me know how it goes)

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't tell anybody, but if I get a Pacifica Hybrid I'll be towing a 5x8 utility trailer with it.
Likely problem would be heat buildup in the transmission on long uphills even with the tranny cooler, or on stop and go uphill (which puts a large load on the electric motors in the tranny). If you put any weight in the trailer (or if you drive on highway and the trailer has a high profile) take it easy and good luck.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'll keep an eye on that using the transmission temp display. But I'm not too concerned. This is mostly light-duty towing with weight less than a van full of passengers, same as I've been doing with my 2008 without a tow package. It's a low-profile utility trailer with a folding tailgate so aerodynamic loads shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts