2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

261 - 280 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Touring L
61 Posts
I've read stories that it can take hours and up to a day for all options in uconnect to be restored after battery power is restored. How long has it been since you restored battery power?
Well @kenchills was right, this morning everything is back.

So it took between 1 to 14 hours for the system to learn everything again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know many are worried about towing. My Pachy has been towing our 2400lbs camper (more like 3000lbs loaded up) for a while now and it works perfectly fine. In fact, Chrysler will continue to warranty the van with no questions asked if you have a hitch installed through a Chrysler dealership. I monitor trans temp and stress with and obd reader and there are no concerns at all. (Obviously don’t drive the van like a race car, but overtaking and large hills are no sweat with common sense) Also, anything over 2000lbs does better with trailer brakes. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To be honest ... if they do it/do it right, price wasn't an issue for me as I've spent the last few years running into road blocks so I'm paying more than I probably should, just to get it done. He didn't break out parts and labor on the phone, just said (before taxes) 1k total for both. So I'm guessing because of the area I live in that the prices are higher than those posted a few days ago for parts and labor is labor back here (higher than other places, regardless of what they are doing. I can break things out once I have the invoice.

Yes to the kick sensors. I had them purchase the new ones that will allow me to continue to use that.

As I said .... fingers crossed!
Well a day later than expected due to a late part, the dealership installed my OEM receiver on my 2017 Pacifica Hybrid today and it looks great. If anyone lives in the District/Maryland/Virginia area my service technician gave me permission to post his contact information here because he said he'd be happy to do the same for anyone else who wants it. It's Farrish Cars | Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Subaru Fairfax VA, the gentleman's name is Zaheer Naziri (703) 934-1639.

It turned out to be more than the original estimate. The explanation was "we've never done this on a hybrid before ... we had to figure it out" which was valid for the increased labor charges. I would recommend ordering the parts yourself as described by a few members (above) and they can be delivered to this specific dealership (I didn't so I paid the dealer markup for the parts .... lesson learned, but too late to matter as I would have saved a couple hundred dollars). Parts/taxes cost $774 even. Labor/Taxes cost $483.46. With taxes that was $213.45 over the original quote.

As I originally said, the cost of having someone do it for me did not outweigh my inability to do it myself and my desire to have the OEM one installed.

I did have one final question for the group ... what is the tongue weight of the OEM hitch? In the documentation it discusses tow weight/tongue weight relative to the size of the radiator/cooling. his is what Chrysler/Mopar says: Hitch Receiver is 2-inch and the same as production. It has a 3,600 lb. tow rating, 360 lb. tongue weight when equipped with NMR (Heavy Duty Radiator), 1,500 lb. tow rating, 150 tongue weight when equipped with NHA (standard engine cooling), 2" receiver opening."

Since I am not towing anything, but will have 4 bikes and a hefty hitch, can I use the higher tongue weight of 360 or the 150 (I think with everything I'm closer to 200 pounds than 150)? My understanding is that tongue weight is the weight pushing down on the receiver itself, so without the towing included, I'm hoping the higher weight on the tongue itself is okay, but thought I'd ask ya'll as you are the experts.
@DadOfThree Thanks so much for this info. I've been hoping someone in the DMV had a dealer that could do this. I really appreciate the referral. Going to call this week.
Btw, have you found a good dealership for service? I've tried Ourisman in Bowie, and not very happy so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well a day later than expected due to a late part, the dealership installed my OEM receiver on my 2017 Pacifica Hybrid today and it looks great. If anyone lives in the District/Maryland/Virginia area my service technician gave me permission to post his contact information here because he said he'd be happy to do the same for anyone else who wants it. It's Farrish Cars | Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Subaru Fairfax VA, the gentleman's name is Zaheer Naziri (703) 934-1639.

It turned out to be more than the original estimate. The explanation was "we've never done this on a hybrid before ... we had to figure it out" which was valid for the increased labor charges. I would recommend ordering the parts yourself as described by a few members (above) and they can be delivered to this specific dealership (I didn't so I paid the dealer markup for the parts .... lesson learned, but too late to matter as I would have saved a couple hundred dollars). Parts/taxes cost $774 even. Labor/Taxes cost $483.46. With taxes that was $213.45 over the original quote.

As I originally said, the cost of having someone do it for me did not outweigh my inability to do it myself and my desire to have the OEM one installed.

I did have one final question for the group ... what is the tongue weight of the OEM hitch? In the documentation it discusses tow weight/tongue weight relative to the size of the radiator/cooling. his is what Chrysler/Mopar says: Hitch Receiver is 2-inch and the same as production. It has a 3,600 lb. tow rating, 360 lb. tongue weight when equipped with NMR (Heavy Duty Radiator), 1,500 lb. tow rating, 150 tongue weight when equipped with NHA (standard engine cooling), 2" receiver opening."

Since I am not towing anything, but will have 4 bikes and a hefty hitch, can I use the higher tongue weight of 360 or the 150 (I think with everything I'm closer to 200 pounds than 150)? My understanding is that tongue weight is the weight pushing down on the receiver itself, so without the towing included, I'm hoping the higher weight on the tongue itself is okay, but thought I'd ask ya'll as you are the experts.
So I called Zaheer, and he was very helpful, and remembered you right away. But when he transferred me to the parts department to order the parts, they asked for my VIN and then said they could not order the parts since the hitch was not compatible with the hybrid. Did you just ask for the hitch parts for a gas powered pacifica? Did you deal with a specific parts person? any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The hitch shows as incompatible with the hybrid due to the hybrid's zero tow rating.

The hitch, valance (if you have limited/pinnacle trim) , and kick sensor kit (if you have the kick sensor) is the same as the gas model of the Pacifica. Order the parts as if you have a gas only Pacifica of the same trim.
Don't give them your VIN, as they will deny you. If they insist on a VIN, find an equivalent trim gas Pacifica and give them that VIN. The part numbers have been posted multiple times in this thread, much further up.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
38 Posts
Hi all. We are about to take delivery of a '21 PacHy and of course the selling dealer refuses to install the OEM hitch. Would someone who has the Draw-Tite hitch be able to measure the clearance to flat ground to help me compare to our current vehicle and determine whether that will meet our needs or if I need to find a way to get the OEM installed. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
169 Posts
@zhenya

Etrailer.com has some of the most detailed info about the aftermarket hitches for the Pacifica.

The above link has pictures of the two best aftermarket hitches with a hidden receiver tube and the highest ground clearances for aftermarket hitches.

This link compares the two and says that the Curt hitch offers the best ground clearance at 10.5 inches.
My self installed OEM factory hitch has a ground clearance of around 11.5 to 12 inches.

One last thing.......all the aftermarket hitches require you to cut off the aluminum heat shield above the tail pipe. The factory one does not require this. It's up to you if you feel comfortable with chopping off part of the heatshield with the aftermarket hitches.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks @kenchills! I’d read through most of the threads I found here in search, but had not gone further at the e-trailer site. They always have great info!

Appreciate the help. Not too worried about the heat shield - those parts commonly fail in this climate as a vehicle ages. I agree the factory hitch looks a bit better. Just have to decide if I care enough to warrant the extra cost and hassle…

·
Registered
169 Posts
@zhenya

Yes, the factory hitch does look the cleanest and has the most ground clearance. But........ it's the most involved installation I've ever done for a hitch. I'm glad I did it, and the info and help from the posters on this thread really helped a lot in ordering parts and being prepared. However, OEM hitch is definitely not a self install for most people.

I originally ordered the etrailer Curt hitch back in March, but was told Pacifica hitches were out of stock and had a 2-3 month lead time. No go for me. Pivoted over to the factory hitch (which had immediate availability, but much greater cost) and installed that one instead.
As of today, the Curt hitch shows availability in early June.... so still not available. However, I believe it said the Draw-tite version is available now.

Anyways, good luck to you in getting your hitch installed!

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Limited S, black/black, safety, tri-pane roof
48 Posts
Just thought I’d share the draw-tite hitch was installed on my 2020 PacHy - looks good, no visible cross-tube which I like - not enough time or skill to do the OEM install, but this comes close. Also installed the Yakima Exo Swingbase and Gearlocker, which fits just fine - good clearance from the rear bumper cap, access to tailgate when swung aside, and license plate and rear lights still very visible. There’s a second level rack you can add above the base rack - it looks like the license plate and lights might be OK with that also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just thought I’d share the draw-tite hitch was installed on my 2020 PacHy - looks good, no visible cross-tube which I like - not enough time or skill to do the OEM install, but this comes close. Also installed the Yakima Exo Swingbase and Gearlocker, which fits just fine - good clearance from the rear bumper cap, access to tailgate when swung aside, and license plate and rear lights still very visible. There’s a second level rack you can add above the base rack - it looks like the license plate and lights might be OK with that also.
Nice ! can you post some pics?

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
I wrote about my not so happy experience installing the 1.25" Curt hitch earlier in this thread. This time I went with 1.25" Draw-Tite, and I'm happy to report that it was a much better experience. The hitch shape doesn't restrict movements of the muffler that much, and the hanger that took an hour of sweat was done in 30 seconds. The hitch comes with a proper canister relocation kit, no more cutting the bracket. The installation was smooth, but it still took several hours, not 45 minutes from the install instructions (would be a bit faster if I had a helper). The hitch is not visible from the sides, and it sits flush with the bumper, not a few inches back. I don't have to use an extender to install my bike mount anymore.
The hitch is still heavy as ****, no body or suspension part in the van uses steel that thick. The install instructions say to cut a lot of material from the heat shield and underbody panel. It turned out that only minimal cutting would be necessary. I wish I didn't trust the manual on this. Anyway, Draw-Tite is a lot better, both during and after the install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know many are worried about towing. My Pachy has been towing our 2400lbs camper (more like 3000lbs loaded up) for a while now and it works perfectly fine. In fact, Chrysler will continue to warranty the van with no questions asked if you have a hitch installed through a Chrysler dealership. I monitor trans temp and stress with and obd reader and there are no concerns at all. (Obviously don’t drive the van like a race car, but overtaking and large hills are no sweat with common sense) Also, anything over 2000lbs does better with trailer brakes. Hope this helps some.
Thanks so much for mentioning this. I saw someone in a parking lot two years ago that had a full hitch with ball on their PacHy and they'd said they had no issues, but I didn't know how much they were towing. I've been really curious to see if others have been trying it. I've often wondered if the real issue with the no-tow limit was tied to the brakes more than the engine. Sounds like your experience might confirm that (at least in part).

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Limited S, black/black, safety, tri-pane roof
48 Posts
Thanks so much for mentioning this. I saw someone in a parking lot two years ago that had a full hitch with ball on their PacHy and they'd said they had no issues, but I didn't know how much they were towing. I've been really curious to see if others have been trying it. I've often wondered if the real issue with the no-tow limit was tied to the brakes more than the engine. Sounds like your experience might confirm that (at least in part).
Also eager to find out if others are trying this too - towing reasonable loads on the PacHy. The benefits of the PHEV outweigh substituting for a true tow vehicle for me, esp since my towing would be infrequent and light.

Anyone else willing to fess-up to towing with their PacHy? Experiences?? Anyone get the side-eye from a dealer at service time?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like a lot of folks, have been following the “hitch for a PHEV” threads and concurrently trying to resolve the inconsistent information between the Mopar parts site, Chrysler care, and my local dealership. After talking to FCA customer rep today, meandered onto the Mopar parts site and saw a hitch receiver (68273368AD) that has the obviously different part number but also doesn’t have the “it fits your car” but “does not apply to PHEVs” contradiction on the parts page. Additionally, in the related items section, I saw a transmission cooler (68339992AB) and another “chiller” heat exchanger (5192374AC) that looks like it might be for the electric motor side of things.

It could be that I just missed the last two items because I was never looking for them and they’ve been there all along; however, the hitch receiver part number is definitely not the number (82214543AC) that is in this, and other threads, I’ve seen. The 6827… receiver is substantially more expensive than the other one ($619 vs $372) but it definitely seems like a new addition to the site. Regardless, does anybody have any experience with these part numbers, specifically the one for the receiver? Going to head down to the dealership for an unrelated appt later this week and ask their parts department and see where I get.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Limited S Appearance - Feb. 2021 build. California
74 Posts
I installed the OEM hitch on my 2021 Pachy Limited on Saturday.

Found all of the parts listed in this thread on ebay. Paid $615 after shipping/tax.

I called around to about 6 dealers in So Cal and none would touch it, so I decided to go for it with the help of my father in law. Definitely helps to have another set of hands (and a torque wrench).

We spent about 7 hours, which seems to be about in the middle of what I've seen here. We did not disconnect the battery - just disconnected the ground and everything seemed fine. Removing the valance (?) from the bumper was the biggest pain in the ass of the whole job. I didn't have the body panel tools, so this took me over an hour to figure out and execute.

Did the same thing with the charcoal canister as @mackay46. In fact, pretty much had the same experience except for the antenna part.

My finished results look exactly like @bawhitten (same year and color van), so no need to post those photos.

Here are a couple random ones from the process.

Now I just need to find a good 4 bike rack. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Got our factory hitch installed yesterday. I found the parts for a little less than I could find on ebay through Mopar Parts Webstore ($608 shipped) and I only had to deal with a single seller rather than multiple. I had a local shop that specializes in truck parts and upgrades install it. Took them about 4 hours.

What are people doing with the leftover aluminum bumper? Sell it for scrap? Craigslist? I’d rather it not clutter my garage for the next decade!

@CostaMoses - how much do you want to spend?! We have a 4 bike Kuat I’m quite happy with and we were lucky to get at all when we needed one last summer. Bikes load/unload in about 30 seconds each, none of them touch each other, and it can be tilted out of the way for rear hatch access even fully loaded. However, it’s effectively like towing a small trailer behind you!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Now I just need to find a good 4 bike rack. Any suggestions???
No specific recommendation here, but I found a used older Thule 4 bike swing away on craigslist. The swing away feature makes life so much easier. I would would not want to miss that feature.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Limited S Appearance - Feb. 2021 build. California
74 Posts
What are people doing with the leftover aluminum bumper? Sell it for scrap? Craigslist? I’d rather it not clutter my garage for the next decade!

@CostaMoses - how much do you want to spend?! We have a 4 bike Kuat I’m quite happy with and we were lucky to get at all when we needed one last summer. Bikes load/unload in about 30 seconds each, none of them touch each other, and it can be tilted out of the way for rear hatch access even fully loaded. However, it’s effectively like towing a small trailer behind you!
I was wondering the same thing about the leftover bumper...I'd imagine it can be recycled, but I haven't tried yet.

That Kuat is very nice! Looks like they are out of stock until November...I'll see if I can a used one.

No specific recommendation here, but I found a used older Thule 4 bike swing away on craigslist. The swing away feature makes life so much easier. I would would not want to miss that feature.
Yeah, I'll keep an eye out for those on Craigslist/offerup! Good to hear that the swing away feature is worth it.

261 - 280 of 285 Posts