2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

281 - 285 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, I'll keep an eye out for those on Craigslist/offerup! Good to hear that the swing away feature is worth it.
I had (and still have) a Saris one that tilts down. The swing away is soooo much nicer. I think I use it every other time we have the rack on. I can keep the bikes on there, swing it away, and still open the trunk without any issue and have plenty of room to load/unload whatever needs to go in/out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No specific recommendation here, but I found a used older Thule 4 bike swing away on craigslist. The swing away feature makes life so much easier. I would would not want to miss that feature.
I have a Thule 4 bike rack for sale. I’m in NJ. Msg me if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
I wrote about my not so happy experience installing the 1.25" Curt hitch earlier in this thread. This time I went with 1.25" Draw-Tite, and I'm happy to report that it was a much better experience. The hitch shape doesn't restrict movements of the muffler that much, and the hanger that took an hour of sweat was done in 30 seconds. The hitch comes with a proper canister relocation kit, no more cutting the bracket. The installation was smooth, but it still took several hours, not 45 minutes from the install instructions (would be a bit faster if I had a helper). The hitch is not visible from the sides, and it sits flush with the bumper, not a few inches back. I don't have to use an extender to install my bike mount anymore.
The hitch is still heavy as ****, no body or suspension part in the van uses steel that thick. The install instructions say to cut a lot of material from the heat shield and underbody panel. It turned out that only minimal cutting would be necessary. I wish I didn't trust the manual on this. Anyway, Draw-Tite is a lot better, both during and after the install.
A couple of pictures to illustrate the unnecessary cutting.

According to the instruction, the entire part of the muffler shield with the "Front" on it had to be removed. As you can see, I reinstalled almost all of it back.

The manual says to trim 32" of the underbody panel. I trimmed 12" and it was too much.

Another tidbit from the manual:

Maybe if you a couple of installs to learn the tricks, have a lift, the best tools and a helper, you might get close to this number. Realistically it is a half-day job for a single person.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Now I just need to find a good 4 bike rack. Any suggestions???
If you're leaving it on permanently, make sure it's one that swings away or can tilt down with bikes on it, but other than that, there are many good options. I recommend something that doesn't hold the frame. 1Up racks are the gold standard, but be prepared to pay and wait a while as they are always backed up due to popularity. However, Thule, Kuat, Yakima, and Saris all make great racks that satisfy those requirements (no frame contact and tilt away to open gate with bikes installed).

If you do plan to take your rack off when not in use, I strongly recommend looking at the Saris Superclamp or Freedom 4 (the latter if you don't mind a well-cushioned strap around the lower frame of the bike). Both use one cross-rail to hold two bikes instead of one cross-rail per bike like a lot of other options. This keeps the weight way down in the 50-60lb range instead of 100lbs+ for most other good 4-bike racks. That makes a huge difference if you have to carry the rack or lift it to install it.

edit: If you want a swing-away feature rather than just the tilt-down that most good racks offer, you can buy swing away adaptors separately that should work with any 2" rack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks great! Question for @bawhitten @kenchills and anyone else who recently installed a hitch : What did you do with the old bumper parts? I took mine to an auto accessories place to have it installed and they returned the original bumper—both the metal interior and the plastic which appears intact, but I'm not 100% sure. Is that metal bumper part useful to anybody other than for scrap? About to move in a couple weeks and trying to figure out what to do with it!

281 - 285 of 285 Posts