2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Installed the Draw-Tite Receiver Hitch (part #: 76046) this past weekend on my 2017 Pac Hybrid. Took about 4 hours going slow. Modifications from what others have stated, minimal trimming of the underbody panel (way less than instructions indicate), instead of refitting the mount for the air canister, I removed the mount and used two high-strength 1/2 zip ties to secure it against a piece of added high-density foam. I found removing the passenger side rear wheel was helpful as well. Other than that, it wasn't a big deal. The kick sensor still works in a more limited range area but easy to figure out what new areas to use. Very low profile. Now I can use all of my 2" receiver devices.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
etrailer says that it doesn't interfere with the kick sensor, but I'm not sure I believe them.
Yeah. I asked that question on etrailer. I'm not sure I believe them either. I sent Curt an email and never got a reply. I'd love to hear from someone who has successfully installed it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Installed the Draw-Tite Receiver Hitch (part #: 76046) this past weekend on my 2017 Pac Hybrid. Took about 4 hours going slow. Modifications from what others have stated, minimal trimming of the underbody panel (way less than instructions indicate), instead of refitting the mount for the air canister, I removed the mount and used two high-strength 1/2 zip ties to secure it against a piece of added high-density foam. I found removing the passenger side rear wheel was helpful as well. Other than that, it wasn't a big deal. The kick sensor still works in a more limited range area but easy to figure out what new areas to use. Very low profile. Now I can use all of my 2" receiver devices.
Nice install, looks great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the tips and the pictures. Knowing your kick sensor still works, combined with seeing the look of it, makes me think I should go with the draw-tite. It looks better than the Curt. I'm just drawn to the Curt because they actually advertise it as being for the hybrid. Draw-tite and Mopar still claim incompatibility with the hybrid.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Nicely done. I might go the same route.
What did you use for high density foam and where did you apply that to attach the zip ties for the canister?
Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nicely done. I might go the same route.
What did you use for high density foam and where did you apply that to attach the zip ties for the canister?
Thanks!
I had a piece of black high density 1.5" thick foam in the shop that I cut from. Don't remember where it came from but shouldn't be too hard to find locally. After you get the bottom panel off, you'll see some 1" wide vertical indentations in the sides of the aft seat well storage area which is where I positioned the two straps. I then ran them under the hitch frame before I tightened it down. That holds the straps securely. If I ever need to remove the canister, I'll need to cut the zip ties and loosen the three hitch mount bolts on that side to slide a new set of straps in place-- no big deal. Next to the canister, is what looks like an inline filter. I routed the forward strap around that filter as well with a smaller piece of foam used there to bed it snugly against the canister. The fact is that these two items are very light weight and the attached hoses and confined space would keep them where they need to be. My only real concern about not securing them well was introducing a rattle-- hence the foam beds and straps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone been able to get the dealer to install a hitch for a bike rack on a Hybrid. I was at the dealer tonight to order my PacHy only to have the tow hitch be a questionable item. I didn't realize it might not be an option (bike rack is necessary for me) and the parts manager was out.

Waiting for a call back tomorrow to confirm or deny it can be done. It would make things so much easier for me if it could be done before it gets to dealer (I'm ordering) or at the dealership before I take it.

Thanks so much for the info, pictures and links. I wish I was as handy as you all.

SunnyCar

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone been able to get the dealer to install a hitch for a bike rack on a Hybrid. I was at the dealer tonight to order my PacHy only to have the tow hitch be a questionable item. I didn't realize it might not be an option (bike rack is necessary for me) and the parts manager was out.

Waiting for a call back tomorrow to confirm or deny it can be done. It would make things so much easier for me if it could be done before it gets to dealer (I'm ordering) or at the dealership before I take it.

Thanks so much for the info, pictures and links. I wish I was as handy as you all.

SunnyCar
I've called a bunch of dealers around me. They all refuse to install it. I'm going to try to install the draw-tite or curt myself.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

SunnyCar
I do recall reading that someone did manage to get their dealer to install a hitch, but they are the exception. Hitch installation on the PacHy is not supported by Chrysler. It will be easier to get an independent garage to do it for you unless you are extremely lucky to have the extraordinary dealer.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Just heard back from the dealer. They will install the hitch for a bike rack. I'm so happy today
Awesome! You have a great dealer, one who considers customer service a priority. You should be happy - I would. Tell us about them, they deserve the plug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dealer (in Cadillac, MI) installed the Mopar hitch for me no problem this fall. No modifications necessary or issues with the install that I'm aware of. I was clear with the dealer that I do not plan to tow and did not want the electrical harness, they didn't give me any pushback. Parts & labor costs are definitely higher than doing the Drawtite install, since they have to remove the whole rear bumper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in MA and it's 495 Jeep Chrysler Dodge in Lowell. If you're local, they are no-pressure, super friendly and the Parts Department Manager was on the phone with Detroit today to confirm that there would be no warranty issues for me.

I feel very lucky indeed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Draw-tite now says on their site that a hybrid conversion kit is "coming soon".

I also found a dealer that might be willing to install the Mopar hitch, but they were reluctant because they had no idea how much work it might be. If any of you have contact information for someone who installed the mopar hitch, maybe I can get my dealer here in touch with them to get an idea how much work it would be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any new news on this front? Any word from Chrysler on when, if ever, they'll support towing with the Pacifica Hybrid?

I'm finding lots of misinformation on the internet. The Chrysler website stays curiously silent on the subject and still generally implies that the hybrid can tow. They do not clearly state that it cannot on the website, instead showing pictures of the Pacifica towing. The only place I've found that clearly states that it cannot be used for towing is the owners manual.

Current Consumer Reports articles state that the Pacifica Hybrid can tow 3600 lbs.

A dealer, https://www.aventurachryslerjeepdodgeram.com/2017-chrysler-pacifica-hybrid/, specifically goes out of their way to say that the hybrid can tow,
With the best-in-class maximum towing capacity of 3,600 pounds, the Pacifica Hybrid can also be used for towing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Chrysler does not support towing with the Hybrid. This is unlikely to change so long as they have a gas model to sell you with fatter profit margins.

It is capable of towing some amount, but we'll never get a tow rating from FCA.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anyone installed a trailer light kit on their Hybrid? If so, appreciate the name of the kit that worked. I have a receiver accessory that when installed with the cover, partially obstructs the tail lights. The cover had built in lights but need a 4-prong connector to plug into. After several communications, e-Trailer said they don't have one made for the 2017 Pacifica Hybrid Plantinum. Hopefully, someone has found one that they've installed and can confirm it works. Thx.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Anyone installed a trailer light kit on their Hybrid? If so, appreciate the name of the kit that worked. I have a receiver accessory that when installed with the cover, partially obstructs the tail lights. The cover had built in lights but need a 4-prong connector to plug into. After several communications, e-Trailer said they don't have one made for the 2017 Pacifica Hybrid Plantinum. Hopefully, someone has found one that they've installed and can confirm it works. Thx.
Dont need lights to pull a bike rack..

This might be a hard one to explain should you have driveline warranty issues?

121 - 140 of 176 Posts