2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone towed a boat at a ramp? We're only going 2-5 miles from the house to the ramps. Wife really wants this car, and wants me to trade truck in for something small and fun. One forum suggested the hybrid's battery adds so much weight that it removes the added towing capacity of the gas. Boat and trailer are under 3500lb.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anyone towed a boat at a ramp? We're only going 2-5 miles from the house to the ramps. Wife really wants this car, and wants me to trade truck in for something small and fun. One forum suggested the hybrid's battery adds so much weight that it removes the added towing capacity of the gas. Boat and trailer are under 3500lb.
Just an FYI. Chrysler does not recommend towing anything with the hybrid model. I'm not saying it can't be done however if you have a powertrain warranty issue, (failed transmission or HV battery or engine) they could see the hitch and trailer wiring and deny coverage if they wanted to. I think bike carriers are ok because they don't require additional wiring. So tow at your own risk. IMO a front wheel drive vehicle isn't the best choice for pulling a boat out of the water especially if it is a steep ramp.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Will draw Tite part # 76046 which is listed for non hybrid Pacifica work on phev Pacifica without any extra hybrid installation kit. Or should I stick to the curt hitch which is listed for hybrid Pacifica on uhaul site.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just installed the factory hitch today. Took about four hours. The factory instructions that have been linked in this thread before ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-iLvaul1obRYWt1b0hwWUJEeTA/view?usp=sharing ) are ok as general guidelines, but they are not very specific or helpful in some key sections.

DISCLAIMER: The following are my personal opinion and experience. If you choose to follow them, you do so at your own risk.
Some pointers that might help if anyone else is going that route:
Step 4: The electrical connector has a small slider (red). Move the slider, then press down the snap to be able to release the connector.
Step 8: The bolt is behind the bumper cover. You need to move the fabric layer from the wheel housing out from behind the bumper cover to get to the bolt.
Step 9: To remove the first snap it helps to push the plastic beam/support (where you just removed the bolt from in step 8) down as indicated in the picture, BUT there are many more snaps all the way to where the rear light was. I had a really hard time removing that part without damaging the snaps or the finish. I did manage, but it took a LOOONG time.
Step 12: This is where the carbon canister sits in the PacHy. The rear bolt will be in the way of the hitch. The ground is not in the way. One could drill a hole in the hitch to fix that and use a longer bolt. I used part of a kit to relocate the canister I bought from e-trailer a long time ago.
Step 15: What looks like huge plastic Philips head screws. No idea how to remove them. It wasn't necessary either...
Step 18: I don't think those screws are there in the 2018 PacHy. Also not necessary anyway.
Step 20: The electrical connectors have a small slider (red on the left one white on the right one). Move the slider, then press down the snap to be able to release the connector. It helps to have a second person to remove the bumper cover, but I just so managed on my own. The cover seemed stuck at the upper edge just below the rubber gasket of the trunk. You really just have to pull it out. Takes some force.
Step 27: This looks so easy... it isn't. Not only do you actually have to remove the plastic part that holds the wires for the rear parking sensor (one of those plastic popouts on each side top and a snap on each side bottom) and the parking sensors, you will also have to remove that chrome trim piece together with the rear fascia lower valance kit (lots and lots of snaps)
Step 27b: Then you have to remove the chrome trim piece from the rear fascia lower valance kit (lots of snaps) and also the red reflectors (just one snap - YAY!!)
Step 27c: snap the chrome and reflectors into your new rear fascia lower valance kit.
- I don't have the liftgate kick sensors, so cannot help there.
Step 34: Since PacHys should not tow and I didn't install the wire harness, the cutout of the aero panel can be much smaller. Basically remove the section around the actual hitch part. If you want to follow the cutout in the manual, it is pretty much imprinted into the fabric already, except for the tab/flap where you are going to drill a hole through. Also, use a regular utility knife. Works like a charm and makes clean cuts.

Anyone need a rear bumper?!? Free, but you pay for shipping. PM me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really appreciate all the experiences you've all shared. I have a 2018 PHEV and also want to add a hitch for bike-rack.

But I have a really steep driveway and I've already learned the hard way (on my previous Honda Odyssey) that after-market hitches typically hang below the rear bumper, and bottom-out on my driveway!

One of the appeals of the Pacifica was that it appeared to support an OEM hitch that was mounted 'in' the rear bumper, i.e., no chance of bottoming-out. This also pre-supposed that you need to replace the rear bumper with the version with space for the hitch.

Do the various successful hitch-installs discussed here use the OEM-style replacement bumper, or do they hang below the original bumper?

·
Registered
26 Posts
But I have a really steep driveway and I've already learned the hard way (on my previous Honda Odyssey) that after-market hitches typically hang below the rear bumper, and bottom-out on my driveway!
I am in the same situation - Steep driveway or rather steep transition from street to driveway. I made a mock hitch to simulate an aftermarket hitch out of cardboard that I taped to the bottom of the bumper and it almost scraped like that (empty van and obviously without bike rack ;) )
Do the various successful hitch-installs discussed here use the OEM-style replacement bumper, or do they hang below the original bumper?
My post just above yours is for the installation of an OEM hitch, which replaces the metal part of the bumper.

Even with that significantly higher hitch I scraped the street with the bike rack once. Now I take that transition slowly and at an angle and it works without scraping. The lower aftermarket hitches would not have worked for me at all.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Well could always get a unpainted rear fascia from Pacifica with trailer hitch option and utilize that as it has the opening for factory hitch cutout .

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
6 Posts
One could easily justify the light wiring due to needing lights on the rack due to the Pacificas lights being blocked by the scooter on the rack. My Brother got pulled over because the bikes on his rear rack, blocked his license plate. Move the plate to the back of the rack, and you need a light on it. Catch 22.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The battery weight is no different than adding three extra people onboard to a gas Pacifica. The electric motors and power flow are specifically rated for the vehicle's rated weight and load capacities. The onboard computers will record the increased power flow/resistance against the hybrid power train. That data will void your warranty. They will know if you have towed with it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think there’s a huge difference of towing vs putting a 1-5 bike rack on hitch . You could put 2 bikes, etc on top cross bars if you want

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I think there’s a huge difference of towing vs putting a 1-5 bike rack on hitch . You could put 2 bikes, etc on top cross bars if you want
Most people would find putting bikes on the top of a tall vehicle quite difficult. I used to do that on sedans years ago, but now I use rear racks.

·
Super Moderator
1,936 Posts
The battery weight is no different than adding three extra people onboard to a gas Pacifica. The electric motors and power flow are specifically rated for the vehicle's rated weight and load capacities. The onboard computers will record the increased power flow/resistance against the hybrid power train. That data will void your warranty. They will know if you have towed with it.
I disagree. They have no way of knowing if a van was using for towing (besides the presence of the hitch). That extra power is no different than going uphill with the van full of people.
PacHy can surely be used for towing under mild conditions. When a gas Pac is certified to tow, it means it can tow with passengers over a mountain pass at highway speeds. PacHy can't do that. However conservative driving on Florida or Kansas flatlands should pose no issues.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don’t think towing is a issue . I use term towing like bikes , kayaks, roof racks , etc . I wouldn’t put a trailer on it thou .

161 - 176 of 176 Posts