2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wife was running errands this morning, the power steering light came on and the steering wheel locked while in park. This is not the first time this has happened to us. In the summer of 2020, Chrysler detected an issue with the power steering wrack and replaced it for us. I thought by now, this issue would be resolved. Yet this is the second time we had an issue with the steering wheel locking up. Is it a wire issue during hot weather? Did they install a faulty steering rack in 2020? The steering wheel eventually came back loose after waiting to start the car after an hour of patiently waiting with 3 small kids in the car. 馃槱 Please advise. I can鈥檛 afford to have my family stranded somewhere this somewhere in the heat.
Thank you all in advance!
Scott
Plant Automotive tire Tread Audio equipment Font

Registered
I do not know what the cause may be for your issue but I had rack and pinion replacements at 30,000; 60,000; 90,000 +/- several hundred miles on my GC SXT, likely from poor manufacturing.

Your photo of the dashboard display indicates that your three tires (minus the right front) may be overinflated. Check the sticker on the driver鈥檚 doorpost for proper inflation.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not know what the cause may be for your issue but I had rack and pinion replacements at 30,000; 60,000; 90,000 +/- several hundred miles on my GC SXT, likely from poor manufacturing.

Your photo of the dashboard display indicates that your three tires (minus the right front) may be overinflated. Check the sticker on the driver鈥檚 doorpost for proper inflation.
thank you. I鈥檒l fix these tires today. I had a rack replacement at 48,000 miles, is it possible that I need a new one at 58000 miles or could it be another issue?

Registered
If it鈥檚 the same 鈥 issue 鈥 with the rack itself I would talk to dealer and Chrysler to do a good gesture and or split the new bill cost . What was mileage @ time of the work and what鈥檚 the mileage now .

Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
Anyone think it may be an issue with the one tire with lower pressure than the other on on the drive wheels? That can put undue strain on the drive train and might pop up some warnings.

See if adjusting the tire pressures stops any messages.

Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Anyone think it may be an issue with the one tire with lower pressure than the other on on the drive wheels? That can put undue strain on the drive train and might pop up some warnings.

See if adjusting the tire pressures stops any messages.
The uneven tire pressure might cause the vehicle to pull one way or the other, but it's not low enough to affect the steering effort much. It's certainly not enough to cause the OP's issue. Considering that the other three tires all have the same pressure, I would be concerned that the low tire may have a leak though.

Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
Not sure if OP has them, but I have seen it suggested that the optional Michelin Premier tires need to be slightly over inflated in order to reduce excessive wear. Many complaints, including from this owner, of having to replace them before they reach 30k miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts