2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have to tell you guys that we took a trip this week to see our grandchildren in Manassas, VA from Webster, NY...
a distance of 409 miles. Even with the hills of southern New York and central Pennsylvania, I got 33.4 MPG !!!
Unbelievable !
Mostly highway but had enough stops and traffic jams in DC to lower the number...but still.
We'll have to see what we get on the way home!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our trip last weekend. One leg close to 250 miles got 29.5 mpg. A return leg of 300 miles or so was 29.0..with family of four and stuff. Suburban mixed driving this spring and summer is usually 24-25 mpg.

Excellent mpg for a family hauler. No complaints.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been very pleased with the MPG. When my 2018 was on order I rented one for a work trip from Chicago to Ohio. The rental has 12k on the odometer and we had all the seats loaded down and the back filled with a few hundred pounds of trade show equipment. 200 miles into the trip we were getting 28.9mpg at 77mph.

For Memorial Day weekend my wife drove our new Pacifica to Minneapolis and back from Chicago. 900 miles RT and we averaged 28.1 mpg and mostly drove around 77mph too. There are some hills around La Crosse WI that I'm sure didn't help those numbers. I did most of the diving and I used cruise contol on both trips the rental didn't have ACC but our van does.

In comparison, my wife drives a 2016 Ford Escape with the 1.6-liter turbo 4 cylinder. They advertise 32mpg but we've never been able to achieve that in real-world driving. That vehicle is noticeably smaller and lighter but I don't think it's a slippery moving through the air and that is why the Pacifica is so good in comparison. I think the milage on the highway is almost the same on these two vehicles. The Pacifica is nicer on the highway and also quieter and has less wind noise. My wife loves her Escape on the highway but I find it noisy and fatiguing. We both love the Pacifica on the highway though.

I did notice on both Pacifica's I drove that the tire pressure was very high. The door sticker says 36 psi but our dealer had 48 psi of nitrogen in the tires when we picked it up and the rental had high 40s for psi too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I did notice on both Pacifica's I drove that the tire pressure was very high. The door sticker says 36 psi but our dealer had 48 psi of nitrogen in the tires when we picked it up and the rental had high 40s for psi too.

Chrysler delivers them with "storage" pressure in the tires which should be 7 PSI higher than placarded. From what I have heard, dealers rarely adjust that. Mine didn't. I brought a tire pressure gauge with me when I went to pick my PacHy up the first time and had to bleed off 8-10 PSI. My cold tire pressure has been absolutely steady since.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
What have you all found the best "cold" tire PSI to be? I am settling into 40 PSI "cold" for all 4 tires on my 20's.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Got mine @40psi. Seo68 was right about ours - tires were at 47 when I drove it home from the dealer.

Last year we rented a pacifica twice and achieved 30-33mpg avg on trips that were each over 1300mi with city and highway driving. Hard to beat that and it was loaded up both times (8seater).

We've got 500mi on ours in 3 weeks of ownership and we're 26.5mpg avg (city and highway) - great despite the engine not being fully broken in yet. The vehicle does well economically unless you drive it inefficiently - depends how you use the right foot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We just did a small, 400 mike round trip in the Midwest. Overall average was around 27mpg with ACC set between 70 and 80 the whole trip. Started the trip with 115 miles on the odometer.

I did notice that the van never seemed to shift above 7th gear. At cruise, it was turning right around 2000rpm at 70mph. I’m sure it would have gotten slightly better economy if it shifted, but it just never did.

·
Registered
685 Posts
We just did a small, 400 mike round trip in the Midwest. Overall average was around 27mpg with ACC set between 70 and 80 the whole trip. Started the trip with 115 miles on the odometer.

I did notice that the van never seemed to shift above 7th gear. At cruise, it was turning right around 2000rpm at 70mph. I’m sure it would have gotten slightly better economy if it shifted, but it just never did.
May be it's a stupid question but how do you know what gear it was using?

·
Registered
921 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
May be it's a stupid question but how do you know what gear it was using?

I just made a quick spreadsheet to plot engine RPM vs speed. It seemed odd that I would sit at around 2000rpm at cruise on relatively flat ground. By contrast, my Durango readily shifts to 8th and happily plods at along at 1500rpm in MDS (4-cylinder mode) at 70mph. Granted, it makes a little more torque than the Pacifica, but it was still a little surprising.

I believe Chrysler removed the gear-indicator option because people would complain about not hitting the higher gears.

At any rate, while better than 27mpg would be nice, it’s still not terrible. Compared to the ~18mpg the Durango gets on the same trip, and the ability to run 87 instead of 89/91 in the Durango, make a noticeable reduction in fuel cost for road trips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
.We've had our Pacifica since June 2016. I have been averaging 20-21 mpg just daily driving around Sebring, FL. If we make a road trip I have no trouble getting 30 mpg on an interstate at 70 mph. I'm talking fill to fill. Very pleased with our mileage.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts