2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Happy Owner of a new 2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid. And we love the car.

When pulling out of the driveway the other day, I notice a slight pop/click or ticking sound when turning the wheel on both left to right, and right to left. I've had this issue on other cars due to aging CV joints, but I'm a bit surprised to have this occur on a brand new car.

Forum searching got me here: Driver Side making noise when making a left/putting wheel back to center. | 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

That thread has a variety of solutions, including loose bearings, replacing rack and pinions, but the most prevalent seems to be adding Locite to the hub. Is this still an issue with the newer models? I haven't taken it into the dealer yet - mostly because it's a 40 minute drive from me. I thought I'd ask the masses first for their opinions. Probably try to schedule it the same time as picking up my floor mats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See if you can listen is it coming from the airbag wheel area ? You feel anything driving over a bump on road ?
Nothing from going over normal bumps on the road. And I'm not sure what you mean by airbag wheel area. It's not audible from the interior of the car unless I have the windows down and radio off.

Definitely under the hood though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello! Happy Owner of a new 2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid. And we love the car.

When pulling out of the driveway the other day, I notice a slight pop/click or ticking sound when turning the wheel on both left to right, and right to left. I've had this issue on other cars due to aging CV joints, but I'm a bit surprised to have this occur on a brand new car.

Forum searching got me here: Driver Side making noise when making a left/putting wheel back to center. | 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

That thread has a variety of solutions, including loose bearings, replacing rack and pinions, but the most prevalent seems to be adding Locite to the hub. Is this still an issue with the newer models? I haven't taken it into the dealer yet - mostly because it's a 40 minute drive from me. I thought I'd ask the masses first for their opinions. Probably try to schedule it the same time as picking up my floor mats.
CV joint or suspension. I also have a brand new pacifica that came with faulty parts, so... I guess that's what warranties are for. Still doesn't leave me with a great first impression

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CV joint or suspension. I also have a brand new pacifica that came with faulty parts, so... I guess that's what warranties are for. Still doesn't leave me with a great first impression
That's what my first thought was too. More obvious in the morning when 'cold' and when not moving. I just replaced my axle's (CV joint) on my 2005 Acura TL for this exact symptom, but that's a 16 year old car with 120k miles.

Diagnostic appointment is Thursday morning, wish me luck! Giving the dealership service department a trial too. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's what my first thought was too. More obvious in the morning when 'cold' and when not moving. I just replaced my axle's (CV joint) on my 2005 Acura TL for this exact symptom, but that's a 16 year old car with 120k miles.

Diagnostic appointment is Thursday morning, wish me luck! Giving the dealership service department a trial too. ;)
Last time I had a "clicking" sound when turning, it was the CV. One should never expect this on a new car, as you pointed out, but I just wanted to reassure you that you're not crazy - these vans come with faulty parts.

****.... wish I bought a Toyota. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Whelp, after spending a day working out of the dealership, not much to report on.

They couldn't reproduce the sound, which figures, because I can't after driving it awhile as well. All visual and roadtest inspections passed. Given what I suspect the issue is, I'll give it some time, but make sure to take it back before the 3/yr 36k warranty runs out. The Service Advisor offered to leave it overnight, but I declined for now. From what I know ticking CV joints will eventually get louder and sound off not just during cold mornings. I waited 18 months before replacing them on my other car. :) Safety wise, it's fine, but one of those "it will need to be replaced eventually" things. Plus, there's some value in getting parts replaced later - we have long term ownership plans.

The dealer also did some software reprogramming updates (started with an R??) and I got to pickup my floormats. He said sometimes that fixes noises, but I doubt it would apply in my situation. It wasn't a total wasted day, but keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else goes bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts