2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Touring L with 70,000 miles (Exended Warranty), for a couple of weeks now I have had a metallic sounding clunking sound coming from the rght front area of the van.I have put it on ramps and jackstandsands and checked everything I could think of to check......Tie rod eds, sway bar links, struts and mounts, wheel bearnings, etc. Well the last couple of days it has gotten a little louder and I have started to feel a little "grittiness" (dont know how else to describe it) in the steering at highway speeds. So i decided to check the axles today.

So I put it on jack stands and took the right front wheel off and the grabbed the axle and moved it back and forth and their is a loud clunk from the right outter CV joint (the one right behind the wheel bearing) on the outward motion. This has to my problem right? The CV joint shouldnt clunk like should it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Almost forgot, The CV boot looks fine, and their isn’t any sign of grease in the area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Take it to a parking lot, open the windows and turn off the radio. Drive in circles at varying speeds, both left and right. If the sound persists and/or gets worse when turning left/gets better while turning right, you have at the very least isolated the problem to the right wheel. CV joint and wheel bearing sound very different when failing (clunking based on vehicle speed versus a hum with a pitch based on vehicle speed).

Checking for obvious signs of damage to the boot was a good check, but won't show an internal failure if it didn't create a tear (yet). For example - hitting a curb or pot hole.

Take a look here to see how one is built and how/why it works.

If you have more than the tiniest bit of play (beyond moving the axle shaft in/out) with the outer joint, especially if you can get it to make substantial noise with your hands, it's definitely a sign of failure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I would give an update on this issue. I must be lucky because I have generally had good service at the dealership I go to, but not this time. I dropped the van for this issue and a fuel fill issue (fuel would shoot out of the fuel filler after the gas pump clicked off) last MONDAY, the 4th.

The van sat there till Thursday before it was looked at. I feel it is the axle, but apparently the mechanic thought it was the strut even though it rode and drove fine other than the clunk. So they replaced the strut and then ordered a fuel filler neck for it.

Not sure what happened During this week but they finally got around to putting the filler neck in last night. I go to pick it up this morning and am told that when the mechanic went to bring it in to do that it was still clunking. So now I have been with out my van for almost two weeks and it still is t fixed! So frustrated! To make matters worse my extended warranty only covers my rental for 5 days! The dealer better pick that up or I am going to be REALLY pissed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Struts should be replace in pairs but I think dealers can claim a loophole to only swap one if it’s under warrenty. The Jeeps have had problems with driveshafts leaving the factory without grease. Check both sides. I also wonder if you specifically told the mechanic that the shaft was loose? Noise is hard to trouble shoot and strut noise common. If you did not specifically tell them that you wiggled the shaft and found play then enjoy the wait and rental car expense that you could have avoided. Always feed dealers all specific info if you have it. They are not magicians and the shaft probably felt tight while hanging in the air.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Touring L with 70,000 miles (Exended Warranty), for a couple of weeks now I have had a metallic sounding clunking sound coming from the rght front area of the van.I have put it on ramps and jackstandsands and checked everything I could think of to check......Tie rod eds, sway bar links, struts and mounts, wheel bearnings, etc. Well the last couple of days it has gotten a little louder and I have started to feel a little "grittiness" (dont know how else to describe it) in the steering at highway speeds. So i decided to check the axles today.

So I put it on jack stands and took the right front wheel off and the grabbed the axle and moved it back and forth and their is a loud clunk from the right outter CV joint (the one right behind the wheel bearing) on the outward motion. This has to my problem right? The CV joint shouldnt clunk like should it?
Mine do that now and i just purchased my 2017 vechile 4 months ago so now i know what to look for!

·
Registered
409 Posts
My 2017 is exhibiting the same symptoms, 21k miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It ended up being a strut. Was surprised that was the problem, but they replaced it and the noise went away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts