2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hey! Another Plymouth/AAA Troubleshooting Contest teammember. I did mine in 1988, when they used new Sundances. I still have the jacket and the trophy somewhere. Good times.
Tha’t very cool, Jimal! Congrats!
Cars still had carburetors and distributors in 74 when I competed. Your 88 Sundance would seem pretty high tech to me.

I dated one of the judge’s daughters and still couldn’t win beyond the second level, haha.
I didn’t get a jacket but I still have one of the trophies and two fender guards.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tha’t very cool, Jimal! Congrats!
Cars still had carburetors and distributors in 74 when I competed. Your 88 Sundance would seem pretty high tech to me.

I dated one of the judge’s daughters and still couldn’t win beyond the second level, haha.
I didn’t get a jacket but I still have one of the trophies and two fender guards.

We made it to the Connecticut state finals in 1988. We were the only "regular" (non-technical) high school to make it to the hands-on portion of the competition. IIRC we ultimately finished fourth. It was neat to hear about it on the morning announcements the next day, but other than that nothing much else happened. It was the only time that I'm aware of that our school even entered a team.

My "inside line" story was that one of the judges was the service manager for a large used car dealer in town who I knew from delivering parts to from the auto parts store I worked at after school. Not sure how much of a difference that made; I think we ultimately punched above our weight considering none of the four on the team made a career out of being a technician.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I was from a regular high school as well. Jimal, I am seriously jealous of that jacket especially where it says state finalist! We won at the city level and we were told that we scored the highest on the written test at state but then one member of our team (yours truly) made a mindbogglingly boneheaded mistake on the timed repair part that got us disqualified. I used to have dreams about that screw-up. We got all the big things repaired and the engine started right up...but, sometimes, it’s the easiest things that get you when in a hurry. It was a lot of fun. Your team finishing fourth at the state level is impressive to me...you obviously had a very serious team and you beat out a lot of teams to get so far. I am glad my high school offered an automotive class, wood shop and metal shop. It took me about two months but I completely rebuilt my own car engine at school. During college I had a job at Sun Electric Corporation repairing those huge engine analyzers that were very common in dealerships and upper-end shops of the day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This worked for me. Thanks for the post and the photos. It really helped, and also knowing I was not the first one to get a DVD case caught behind the drawer.

I took off the front and both sides of the drawer. used a flashlight on one side and a grab stick on the other side to lift up the DVD case high enough where I could get it out the same way it fell behind. Not an easy task, but doable.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts