2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Potential new owner.

5K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  SciTchr 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I’m currently looking at either the Pacifica or the Odyssey. I think I like the Pacifica more as it has more features I like (stow n go, 360 cam, panora roof, etc) but I’m having trouble deciding.

Dealers here are doing up to 10k off on the 2020 but I don’t know if I should wait for the 2021 this fall?

would you guys buy your Pacifica again or would you get something else?

#4 ·
I like my Pacifica as a vehicle, but reliability has been a big issue for me, so no I wouldn't buy it again.

Reactions: Lipster
#6 ·
I've had a lot of electrical gremlins, the uConnect screen has been replaced 3 times and still freezes, issues with both sliding doors, issues with the power lift gate. Peeling paint on the hood, bad axle mounts in the front, now the windshield washers are only working periodically. Nothing really major or mechanical, but there's always something wrong with it.

#7 ·
Keep in mind that SWPacLim leased a 2017 model, which was the first production year for a completely new vehicle... these early Pacificas might be more prone to have issues than the later years... but then also keep in mind that SciTchr also owns a 2017 too, and he is happy with his.

I purchased a new 2020 Limited Platinum S, which so far has worked as advertised, mirroring along the lines of what SciTchr stated. During my test drive I noticed it had a dead AUX battery, which was caused by the van sitting unattended on a locked down dealer lot for 2 months due to COVID. The AUX battery was replaced under warranty no questions asked and no other issues since. Like I said, everything on mine works, front doors open smooth, sliding doors are silk smooth, with and without motor, the hatch opens and closes. I've also taken it to the carwash and no leaks anywhere, roof opens opens and closes correctly. The UConnect 8.4 theater with the dual screen 2nd row entertainment system has worked as advertised as well. I can even wirelessly screen-cast two phones at the same time, one to each of the rear screens. The Adaptive Cruise Control is 100% stop and go, which means, it will stop if the vehicle in front stops. It saved me once in a torrential downpour during the long trip home from the dealer. The lane assist strength can be adjusted so its not very intrusive, giving you a very faint feeling of caster self-centering. Park assist is pretty amazing, I've tried it in more than a few places... worked every time. The van interior, at least mine, is dead silent inside. The HarmanKardon 20-speaker package I have sounds really good, and I've built a few high end car stereo systems on cars I've previously owned... and while its no match for an ATMOS high end home theather, but if you like to listen to music, the 20 speaker package is really worth getting... plus it seems to help the active noise canceling too.

To me,
-It handles better than any other minivan currently out there, and I've test driven all.
-Stow and Go
-I was averaging almost 30mpg when I drove it home, 350 miles away.... and I did get on the throttle a few times.
-The Pacifica looks nicer, both inside and outside.

I would advice to go on a "test drive of all the minivans day". I did it and glad I did: went to visit a Chrysler, Honda, Toyota and KIA dealers back to back, and test drove their best vans... For me the Pacifica was the clear winner.

I would also advice to check out other forums dedicated to the "other" minivans... b/c there are some people here who will systematically disdain the Pacifica, but as you probably know, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Its a car, and it can fail. I myself had cars that were praised to boot, but ended up being not so good, and the contrary has also applied.

If you don't need to have stow and go I would suggest you also take a look at the Pacifica hybrid, which is the one I would've probably chosen if it would've had stow and go...

G.

#9 ·
And statistics don't really bear out that the 2018s are better than the 2017s, 2019s do seem to fair slightly better. These are the ratings from Consumer Reports, Red is the worst possible reliability score, orange is below average.

The most reliable minivan is unquestionably the Sienna, but its really outdated and a new one is due out any time (its already been released to the media). The Odyssey is better than the Pacifica in terms of reliability, but isn't super awesome either.

#10 ·
Hey, lets all hate the Pacifica on the 4th of July... yeah.

Lipster, I am sorry to hear. I have to say that if something is at the point of needing a new engine, you should really cut your loses and buy either a new one or something else. In fact, that exact same situation has happened to me before, on a brand new car: first it had all kinds of annoying issues since day one, and car had 3 miles on the Odometer when I drove it off the showroom floor, and after the 100k mile mark something inside the variable valve timing failed and the engine literally blew up, the car barely ran afterwards, so I managed to keep it running for just long enough for me to "push" it across the dealer line... I ended up taking a 1/2 blue book value loss as a trade in, due to a damaged engine, but that 1/2 blue book trade in loss was less than me buying a new engine, waiting for it and then having it replaced. That new car was a trouble free experience, so in the end I ended up losing money (cars depreciate, regardless) but I came way ahead in terms of sanity and being upset about the darn thing blowing up.

At any rate: I will reiterate what I've said to the OP:

Regardless of what the stats might claim: Book an entire day and test drive each van, back to back if possible, take notes if you must, etc. Scour the "non Pacifica" minivan forums in search of post along the lines of SWLimPac, or Lipster... which had a not so great experience.
Create a pros and cons list for your own application and buy whatever you like, but just don't be conned by the stats; sure, statistically speaking you might get a lemon Pacifica, but you might very well end up with lemon <insert brand here>. By that logic, statistically speaking you shouldn't buy anything, b/c not buying anything will amount to a perfect reliability...

G.

Reactions: Bond007
#12 · (Edited)
Hey, lets all hate the Pacifica on the 4th of July... yeah.
You need to not take this personally. Its just a car. Nobody is hating on it, we're giving the OP advice based on our own experience.

Lipster, I am sorry to hear. I have to say that if something is at the point of needing a new engine, you should really cut your loses and buy either a new one or something else.
He has a relatively new car under warranty, "cutting your losses and getting something else" is a huge cost, same situation for me. If I were to have dumped my Pacifica it would have cost me a fortune. So you're left with making them make it right under warranty and trying to move forward.

Its not just as easy as saying "dump it and get something else" when its only a year old, thats going to cost thousands and thousands of dollars. When its got 100k miles on it thats a different story, its largely depreciated and you've gotten value and use out of it.

but just don't be conned by the stats; sure, statistically speaking you might get a lemon Pacifica, but you might very well end up with lemon <insert brand here>. By that logic, statistically speaking you shouldn't buy anything, b/c not buying anything will amount to a perfect reliability...
The stats aren't the only thing to consider, and yes you may wind up with problems with any brand, but you are less likely to than you are with the Pacifica because of its reliability track record. This is the track record of the Sienna from Consumer Reports:

Here's the Odyssey. Not dramatically better, but slightly better

Thats the thing you have to decide, is the Pacifica enough of a draw to make you take your chances knowing the reliability track record FCA and the Pacifica have? For me it was even given my prior negative experience with FCA...looking back I don't know that I would have done the same thing again, I would have gotten an Odyssey or a Sienna even though they aren't as nice looking or well designed or nice driving as the Pacifica.

Like right now, we're going to the beach tomorrow in the Pacifica and the windshield washer isn't working. Haven't been able to put it back in the shop (it was just at the shop having something else fixed less than 700 miles ago) so we'll likely be at the beach with all the salt air and mist and no windshield washers...which is annoying. And the repainted hood is bubbling again, so thats going to be another 5 days off the road and in a rental car if I bother to get them to fix that. I'd just leave it like it is if they wont ding me for it at the end of the lease. And this van doesnt even have 30,000 miles on it...

#11 ·
I would go with the Pacifica again, yes I had a few minor issues, yes it took a couple of trips to get it right, no it wasn't a big deal It all comes down to dealer support, mine did pretty good. The 2021 is getting a midcycle and picks up an AWD option. So pick the one you like most, by now the 2020's should have most of the issues worked out.

#13 ·
I don't take anything personal, it might appear so, but you can't hear my voice through my text responses: I am not angry, nor upset, I just don't understand such attitude, that's all. I've never hated that car even though I had plenty of reasons to hate it, but it just wasn't worth getting mad over it more than the inconvenience when it happened, and once the time came I happily moved on, and I still remember that car with fond memories.

A loss is a always a loss, regardless of new/old/used, the cost relative to resale value was a 1/2 of total price loss, it was a big loss. But money, however, can always be recouped, one can always work harder to make more money like you said. I personally value time and sanity over money any day of the week, so if taking a loss saves me time, and my sanity, then so be it. It sucks, I get it, trust me, I know full well how much it $uck$ (sucks). When facing a situation like that, in my experience it has always paid to keep on a positive attitude, no matter how ugly or unfavorable it might seem.

As for Lipster and your situation, at the point of needing a new engine (Lipster), or the UConnect critically failing, or the doors not opening correctly (you), or anything critical like that in terms of functionality, etc, I would simply start looking into a lemon law, especially if still under warranty. Perhaps contacting a lawyer might be a better use of your time than having your new vehicle sitting in the shop depreciating at your own expense. Like I've already stated, that is time you are not enjoying the vehicle you paid for, and time can never be replaced.

We certainly buy cars based on different parameters. If you start from the premise that you truly like the car, then one can always work the rest of the problems out. Buying a car IMO, is a similar experience to asking a girl out, in order to ask the girl out you (usually) have to like the girl first. You don't just go ask a girl you don't like out on a date, then ask a list of requirements and if the girl checks all out then you keep on dating. Those kind of arrangements usually don't end well...

G.

#18 ·
As for Lipster and your situation, at the point of needing a new engine (Lipster), or the UConnect critically failing, or the doors not opening correctly (you), or anything critical like that in terms of functionality, etc, I would simply start looking into a lemon law, especially if still under warranty. Perhaps contacting a lawyer might be a better use of your time than having your new vehicle sitting in the shop depreciating at your own expense. Like I've already stated, that is time you are not enjoying the vehicle you paid for, and time can never be replaced.
Don't know what to tell you, taking a potentially $10,000 loss getting out of a new vehicle that is problematic just isn't something I'm interested in doing, I will just get through it and make a better purchase decision next time. Thats what I'm doing by offering my perspective from my experience with this product, helping others make better purchase decisions.

And I have talked to a lawyer and explored the lemon law, it doesn't qualify.

We certainly buy cars based on different parameters. If you start from the premise that you truly like the car, then one can always work the rest of the problems out. Buying a car IMO, is a similar experience to asking a girl out, in order to ask the girl out you (usually) have to like the girl first. You don't just go ask a girl you don't like out on a date, then ask a list of requirements and if the girl checks all out then you keep on dating. Those kind of arrangements usually don't end well...
I think there is some truth to this, BUT for most purchasers this particular vehicle is not a emotional purchase. Its not a sexy sports car or temperamental but awesome German luxury sedan. Its a family hauling minivan, more purchased out of utility and necessity than need. That to me makes these kinds of reliability issues more frustrating. This vehicle is basically my wife and kids' second home, being without it is a major inconvenience, having to move all their **** from it to a rental and back again over and over and over again is a huge pain. Having to listen to my wife bitch about it is a huge pain.

When we had our problematic Jeep, that frustrated me less because I loved that Jeep. I don't love this Pacifica (nor would I any similar vehicle). So to me its like a refrigerator that breaks and spoils all my food over and over again.

There is nothing to pick a fight over, Lipster, it was just a saying. You know? a saying? All these negative post coming all at once... and here I was enjoying my van... it just feels very strange that others are having such a horrible experience.
Its not strange, lots of people as you have seen are enjoying their vans. But, yours is brand new...so you don't really have any experience that can compare to Lipster's and my own. We've had these vans for 3 years. I enjoyed my van too when it was brand new and had no problems. Now that I’m two dozen dealer visits in and more than 6 weeks off the road, less so.If you have 3 problem free years to report then thats a valid data point.

Bringing it back to the OP, there are obviously reliability issues here. You may get a good one and have no problems, or you may get a bad one and have all sorts of problems. 2017 and 2018 seem to be more problematic than 2019 and you would hope 2020, but even 2019 is not highly rated, still below average. You have to decide if the Pacifica appeals to you enough to take the chance.

#16 ·
There is nothing to pick a fight over, Lipster, it was just a saying. You know? a saying? All these negative post coming all at once... and here I was enjoying my van... it just feels very strange that others are having such a horrible experience.

I get you're frustrated, I've been through a similar experience myself so I know. At least you have the warranty to cover the costs, I didn't so it was an expensive ordeal.

I think you should look into lemon laws, and potentially hire a lawyer to fight for you to get a new van. Having an engine replaced under warranty would've been where the buck stops for me... at that point nothing but a new want would've done it for me.

G.

#19 ·
Quick background:
I bought and drive a 08 Odyssey EX-L RES/NAV, new no lease. I like to keep cars for their useful life and I'm handy enough to change oil and do minor service - not a gear-head. I did service it regularly and got a good 140,000 miles from it. At or around 110k, it did have a bunch of wear-and-tear items to fix like A/C compressor, alternator, drive belts... I did not experience major issues with doors, transmission, engine otherwise so lucky for me. This was my main car, I drove it to work (20 miles round trip), drove the kids around on weeknights and weekends, and this was our primary road trip vehicle. I want a minivan in our family as it has been the car of choice when my kids want to be driven around and it is just too versatile compared to our other car, a 3 row SUV.

About 3 months ago, the AC compressor went out again and we decided to look around for a replacement minivan. I had an itch to replace it with something new. It really felt like I had sunk a bunch of money into the old Odyssey recently and was tempted by incentives from manufacturers. Our family has been blessed by keeping our jobs through this tough time so we were off to shop.

Lots of YouTube/blogs rate the Pacifica and Odyssey very high, and of course you'll come to both this forum and the Odyssey forum and find lots of love/hate with all their vehicles.

Sorry, long winded. I just purchased a 2020 Touring-L Plus (see signature), here's how I came to this:
  • Toyota: Outgoing model at time of purchase. No removable 2nd row. Never test drove it though, just wasn't really a contender for me except for the great reliability reputation.
  • Kia: Non-starter, wife just doesn't like the brand.
  • Honda: I test drove a 2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L no RES/NAV
    • I pitted it against the model Pacifica I now own. Features-wise, the Touring and Elite models match up much better with the Touring L Plus and Limited.
    • It drove fine. I'd say after 1000 miles with the pacifica, that it does have great driving dynamics as far as steering, cabin noise and everyday driving. The ESS on the Pacifica is terrible feeling and I just ended up turning it off everytime I drive. The Honda implementation seemed to work better on my test drive.
    • Honda has a great reputation with reliability, I was willing to try them again.
    • Acouple of things kept me from being a repeat customer:
      • Dealership wouldn't budge on pricing (that much), a little under MSRP, however, I didn't try hard to negotiate too hard.
      • I just couldn't get super excited on this $38k purchase with the Honda. It was going to be our 'tool' to drive around and it would've easily gotten the job done, but, for me, just didn't do it for me.
In the end, Chrysler won my business:
  • Subjective, but just a great looking van and they offered the 20" s-pkg which really made it a looker (I know, just a minivan), but still. Looks wise, the Pacifica wins out for me.
  • Features and bells/whistles really won out. As mentioned, pano roof, advancetech package with the 360 view, stow-and-go, and again, s pkg are differentiating features.
  • Pricing, Chrysler was making deals with 2020. I got pretty much the exact trim/color/pkg that I was looking for at a fair price. And especially compared to the price of an Odyssey, I got way more in terms of features.
  • I know, reliability is a question mark. I hope that I got a 'good one'. However, with the cash I saved, I can still easily buy an extended 8 yr warranty which gives me a little more peace of mind.
I prefer the look of the 2020 over the 2021, but that's just subjective. The 2021 still looks great to me. 2021 is a refresh of this gen, so it isn't like they're starting with a brand new vehicle (well, maybe with AWD). Hopefully, the 2020/2021 models have ironed out some of the earlier issues and will be a great van in the long run! If you find a 2020 in an acceptable color/pkg scheme, then I say go for it, prices are good right now. I mean, you're from Chicago, you probably prefer to slap snow tires on before having AWD.

Well, good luck on your decision. For me, I went with my heart as the Pacifica won me over after some research and test drives.

#20 ·
I agree with all of your positives for the Pacifica over the Odyssey, hope it treats you well!

Reactions: thetruthkc
#21 ·
One other thing, as I've been driving around lately, I play the Odyssey (current gen) vs Pacifica counting game.

Honda wins all the time about 6 to 1. They are doing something very right.

#23 ·
Thanks for all of your input guys/gals. I appreciate the honesty.

I think I’m going to go for it and get the extended esp to be safe. My family has had fca products for years and most were great. Only bad one was the caliber.

#24 ·
I owned a 2008 Odyssey and now own a 2017 Pacifica. I had initial concerns going with a Chrysler but my wife loved the looks so much that I took a chance. I like the rear entertainment system for the kids in the Pacifica and it hasn't been bug free but for the most part, it works great. The only issues with the Pacifica I've had were bad front hub bearings, bubbling paint on the hood, and an occasional hard shift from the tranny. I don't remember all of the issues I had with the Odyssey but they were mostly because it was getting older. I had the top package that came with Michelin run flats and the rims it had on it ONLY accepted that tire and they were over $1000 for the set. I eventually just replaced the rims and tires with something standard for about the same price to save money down the road.

I LOVE the stow and go seating. It's like having a massive truck bed with a cover in a matter of seconds. It's comfortable and the engine is adequate. My Odyssey had a better cup holder setup in the center console in some ways but I don't know if they still have the same config in the current model. Otherwise, I don't know of anything the Odyssey did better than the Pacifica although it was an older model.

#25 ·
Too much negative publicity by a few individuals who had less than desirable experience with Pacifica.
I am coming from a hardcore Honda loyalist family and after long debate for six months the Pacifica finally won me over. I got a 2018 Limited and am very close to 30k miles now. It’s been a wonderful experience for me having a car this beautiful and useful.
This is our perfect weekend trip car now, (relegated the Acura SUV to second place). The kids love it, and we love the practicality, space, technology, and versatility (I had transported a dinner table in the Pacifica a few months ago - which none of my other cars / SUVs could do).
Yes, it had its fair share of minor gremlins such as power door issues (finally fixed) and minor electric/ electronic issues such as screen freezing in the middle of video playback, etc, but no major mechanical or drivetrain issues requiring me to rent another vehicle.
I had a dealership visit earlier this week for putrid smell from AC (which is a known issue with almost all cars I had) after a long period of non usage. They changed the cabin filter and most of it is gone.
I don’t know what else to say. All cars and minivans have improved significantly in the last five years so that you’d hardly go wrong with any of them. Yes statistically Chrysler is a bit behind the Japanese competition, but I think you are splitting hairs here. Your odds of getting a lemon are minuscule compared to a vehicle without any issues. This is true of any manufacturer (including KIA). So basically go with what you like. You’d never be happy if buy something which has stellar reliability rating but you hate to ride in or look at or be associated with. What if that one super reliable car develops an issue (unexpectedly - you happen to be the unlucky one), then you’d be in the depths of abyss.
Go drive all of the available minivans out there, and get one which YOU like the most. That’s what you worked hard for. I’m sure after testing everything, you’d come back to Pacifica. Good luck.

#27 · (Edited)
Just got back from the beach (in the Pacifica), developing during the trip the driver side suspension is now creaking terribly, I assume it needs the same strut replacement that was done to the passenger side, sounds like a wheel bearing is bad, saw that mentioned above, and the nav system is freezing all the time again now. Going to try and dump it next week on something else, tired of f'ing with it. 29,979 miles. Such a shame, because whatever we get will lack features the Pacifica has that we like. Can't bring myself to roll the dice on a new Pacifica...will probably get an Odyssey.

So, yeah I wouldn't get a 2017.

Too much negative publicity by a few individuals who had less than desirable experience with Pacifica.
Look at the stats. Not just a "few individuals", the 2017 & 2018 Pacifica is rated as lowly for reliability as is possible.

#26 ·
^^^ Sage advice.

#28 ·
I owned a 2016? Sienna fully loaded limited. It was okay. Felt cheap. This Pacifica and the older one I rented felt way better in terms of build quality.

I know some people have had problems with fca products not denying it or anything. But that hasn’t been my personal experience or my families. We have owned Jeep and other fca products for years and haven’t had problems. Just normal maintenance like oil changes.

#29 ·
The Pacifica definitely feels more solid and premium than the Sienna and the Odyssey. I had an Odyssey Elite for the whole day today on demo from the dealer and you feel it in the doors, trim, paint, everywhere. BUT...all the perceived quality in the world doesnt make up for what a mess mine has been. I'd trade it on the Odyssey today if my wife would let me, but she's still not sure she can live without the surround view camera and the automated parking.

#30 ·
Are you leasing the Pacifica, or you own it? If leasing, then you’re off the hook after the time, otherwise it’ll be a terrible time to sell a car. Overall industry is down, rental agencies are dumping cars on used market, it’s a buyer’s market after all.
But I agree with you. You had too many issues to be comfortable with a brand new car. If I were you I’d wait a little bit longer so that the new Sienna also hits the market and you’ll have another fantastic minivan (if that one is your cup at all) to choose from. Even if you don't like the Sienna, the Honda (Odyssey) dealers will be more likely to offer a better deal when another compelling competitor is hungry and waiting around the corner.

#33 ·
If you think it’s a good deal you can bite. My opinion is that four months is not a long time and that’ll get you probably a later build minivan for less money. It’s all up to you if you can live with it for another few months.

#34 ·
I'm going to put the Pacifica in next week and get the current issues dealt with and then decide what to do.

#40 ·
The build date of our van is also 9/17. The MDH is 092819.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.