2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Pacifica PHEV owners and enthusiasts. I am researching vehicles in hopes of purchasing one near the end of the year. One paper the Pacifica PHEV ticks almost every box that's important to me, with the big exception of only FWD. For what it's worth, I'm only interested in buying used based on my budget (30k) and 2018 or 2019 Limited models with sunroof, under 30k miles. In doing hours of deep diving, I've read highs and lows of this vehicle, which gives me great concerns for purchase. Here are my top concerns in no particular order:

- Overall reliability
I'm reluctant to spend up to 30k on a car that may routinely require maintenance. It seems for every one good youtube video or forum post, there is a negative video/post. Engine/drive noise that may or may not be "normal", weird dash/console problems, and jamming doors/windows. I mean, it seems like even pumping gas in this thing can be difficult...all seems alarming. Also recalls appear to be as routine as going to the dentist...

- Dealership maintenance/warranty
Exacerbating the above issues is the lack of general knowledge from most Chrysler dealerships. What good is the standard warranty if may local dealerships doesn't know how to fix many of these issues or claim they can't reproduce the issue under their inspection? I'm in Minnesota, which is probably one of the worst states to be in for this car because we don't have many Chrysler dealerships and I assume the winter months won't do me any extra favors for long term care. When I've looked over the last few months, only one dealership in the entire state sells new Pacifica PHEVs and even then it's only one or two in stock at a time. Occasionally you'll find used vehicles at other nearby dealers, but for some reason the bulk of used Pacific PHEVs seems to be in southern Wisconsin or eastern Iowa, which is were I'm likely to purchase if I pull the trigger. If so, I'd be at the mercy of dealership(s) where I didn't buy the car.

- Long term use
We're expecting our second kid and my plan is to own this next vehicle for at least 10 years, averaging 5-10k mile/year. I'd be a little nervous about long term use with any PHEV vehicle, but after researching the Pacifica PHEV, I'd be very nervous about making that goal without many trips to the mechanic.

So what do you existing owners have to say about my predicament? Has anyone gotten to a relatively high mileage (>75k)? What about winter wear and tear? Is engine/driving noise really normal and noticeable enough that it's an issue for most of you? Anyone have guidance/opinions on 3rd party warranty to go above and beyond the Chrysler warranty? All opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Tyler in Minnesota

·
Registered
252 Posts
There may be a couple of high-mileage hybrids out there, but keep in mind only a handful got theirs before the initial recall in May 2017... most of the rest of us didn't get ours until September 2017 when dealers could start selling... and a lot of people got it to maximize their EV miles, taking a lot of short trips daily. So there probably are not a lot of them.

I tend to keep my cars at least 10 years (my prior Chrysler T&C lasted 15 years), and I've had a good experience with this car and with Chrysler in general. I think there have been 3 recalls on mine (the PIM in 2017 that delayed my delivery, the battery connector, and the current one) in three years. I'm up to 45K miles. It's my primary vehicle, but I work from home some of the time so it use it for occasional commuting (50 mile rt), running local errands, and about 6 road trips per year (at least 1000 miles rt).

I've had two minor issues when the check-engine-light came on. Both were with the capless fuel tank, which the dealer fixed under warranty (part took a week to arrive and 1-2 hours to install, but I was able to drive the car in the meantime). Other than that, it's been to the dealer for oil changes every 10K miles per the owners manual, and I had them do a 40K mile maintenance with the last one (right before a road trip). There are 3-4 Chrysler dealers near me, and at least 2 work on hybrids, so I've been lucky. But I've moved to other states with Chrysler vehicles and never had problems getting them serviced afterward. I don't understand why a dealer wouldn't service a car they didn't sell... that has never been an issue in my experience. I did buy an extended warranty for the very first time with this car (the electronics were pretty overwhelming compared to my 15 year old van, and I had started hitting a repair-prone period with the old one) but since I'm not past the 3 year mark yet, I haven't needed it.

I can't speak to winter conditions since I'm currently in GA and most of my travel is in the southern half of the US. I do occasionally have issues with gas pumps stopping... that also happened in my other cars with a capless tank, so I don't think it's a Chrysler-specific problem. I think it's a good vehicle and would buy another if I needed to replace mine. However, some people are going to point to Chrysler's service record and tell you to avoid them because there's a higher chance of issues. Others who've had problems with a Pacifica will also tell you to avoid this car based on their bad experience. All I can say is that a number of people have had good experience with one. I don't hesitate to take an 8-hour trip on my own though, so I'm not tremendously worried about it.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
49 Posts
There are a few Canadian PacHy owners on here, so they can give you the cold-weather report.

A few months ago, I was in the same boat as you, but buying new. After a lot of research and trepidation, I bought a PacHy Limited and sadly have not had much cause to drive it (working from home 100% right now). I'm happy with it, and learning its "quirks and features," to quote Doug DeMuro.

One of those quirks is that the engine runs rough at low speeds when the giant drive battery is depleted, which is different from the Toyota and Ford hybrids I've driven (also Atkinson cycle). However, if you're charging at home every night, and driving under 30 miles each day, you'll almost never experience this (or pay for gas). If your longer trips are mostly highway driving, where the engine feels happier anyhow, not a big deal.

Since you're looking at an end of the year purchase, the current recall status ban on sales (including used) won't really effect you. That said, you may see more PacHy's on the used market for this, and other reasons. Chief among them, Toyota is introducing an AWD Sienna Hybrid this fall (but way beyond your budget) so some PacHy owners in your area of the snow-belt might be trading up to those. Who knows?

Also, when I lived in central Canada (until just a few years ago), I had plenty of FWD cars, and just put snow tires on them in late November. Never had a problem with traction or getting stuck when using decent Blizzaks or similar. Then again, I rarely off-roaded in those cars... ;)

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
214 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You can find lots of information by looking through the posts here.

It seems for every one good youtube video or forum post, there is a negative video/post
One thing you have to remember. Owner forums are usually filled with posts about problems. Not many come to say how wonderful their vehicle is when it has no issues. Any vehicle line is going to have issues. All you can do is what you are now doing. Research the options, and decide what you consider to be the pros/cons for the options.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought used after lurking since 2017, but I'm a contrarian PHEV purchaser. When gas prices go down I go PHEV shopping if I need a car.
I probably bought too early, and could have got a better deal but gas prices appear to be rising and obtaining one while waiting on the recall solution may be a problem. I've noticed in the past gas prices always crash and peak, there is always some new problem affecting the market. PHEVS loose their luster when prices are down but gas prices always peak. Until EVs take over the market completely, that's how generally things will go. Do your research while you bargain hunt, Chrysler will work through these problems. Chrysler is slowly gaining my respect with their analysis and solutions, although it's time consuming. This power train is a new application of old technology from train locomotives with a huge number of changes and adaptations plus new technology added in, but oh how wonderful are the benefits!!! No more waiting in long lines during an OPEC embargo!!! I would have liked a simpler machine, but I'll put up with all the extra stuff just to get the 360 cameras and the folding mirrors! I wish you the best with your research!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Drive it as intended , put a set of good snow tires on it . Have had zero issues with mine , 2 yrs old and tons of road trips . Mileage right now is 42 mpg , drive it and use all the limited features , etc . No matter what you buy in winter depletes on mileage . If that concerned purchase a extended warranty and have some piece of mind . It’s a great vehicle , just make sure you put synthetic oil and use oem mopar filter and you’ll be fine . Happy motoring

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Drive it as intended , put a set of good snow tires on it . Have had zero issues with mine , 2 yrs old and tons of road trips . Mileage right now is 42 mpg , drive it and use all the limited features , etc . No matter what you buy in winter depletes on mileage . If that concerned purchase a extended warranty and have some piece of mind . It’s a great vehicle , just make sure you put synthetic oil and use oem mopar filter and you’ll be fine . Happy motoring
Hi @CANADAHYBRIDGUY ! 'Way down here in the States, we call the state of serenity "peace of mind". That homophone is reserved for a different anatomical feature. :D

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
22 Posts
Personally, I like the way it looks, drives and most importantly, how easy it is on the MPG(e)s. Haven't bought gas since March but put about 2200 miles on it in that time. My kids like it and are able to get in and out with four car seats in the back without a problem. Carries a double stroller, which many 3 row SUVs won't do. Stereo is suitable (we have a limited with the HK, it's no Bowers and Wilkins).

Only real problem we've had is UConnect. It died on us repeatedly the first year then Chrysler replaced it and we haven't really had an issue since. The recalls are more frequent than I would like, but as long as they get fixed and Chrysler makes us "whole" we'll be ok.

Honestly, it's cheaper to DD than many small sedans due to the all-electric range despite it being significantly larger.

I'm sure we'll feel it in our wallet when we move on from it (thanks Chrysler), but until then we're happy all things considered.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Short answer: We love ours and would buy another if we had to replace it.

2017 buyer and owner. We have about 36k miles on it now. Received mine prior to the 2017 recall. Chrysler stepped up to the plate during that recall. Rented me another van for over 2 months, paid 3 months worth of payments, and gave me a MaxCare warranty. I have absolutely zero complaints about that recall situation.

We've a few minor issues since then, no more than any other vehicle we've owned. Door handle needed repalced, and the rear doors auto reversed randomly. GPS is currently wonky and I've got it scheudled to go in for repairs. 1 thing a year doesn't deeply concern me. <shrug>

Snow? What problem? This thing gets around great on wet, snow, and ice. It's all in the tires. I haven't had a need for snow tires yet. I'm in Iowa, so we get plenty of snow and ice in a year. I had the Michelins on it originally, and they were good on the dry and snow, but sucked in just wet. At 30k miles I replaced them with Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady's. Oh boy are those good tires on this van.

It's up to you. We love ours.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Buy it. I have 2. Live in Canada. Made it through 3 winters no issues. Hoping they pass the recall this week, as I don't want to give up the vans. Installing sprinkler in garage as backup, but not worried.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would buy again because of the utility (really PacHy is THE utility vehicle to own).

Recently (pre-Covid) I did the following:
Dropped off daughter at elementary school, other daughter to preschool, went to work, on way back home after work stopped at Home Depot to buy a pre-framed 32 in. x 80 in. Steel Prehung Back Door, slid it into back of van (without taking out any seats), picked up daughter from camp, played Frozen II on video screen for her, and drove back home.

All on 100% electric.

During Spring / Summer / Autumn I rarely buy gas.

The PacHy is totally worth the (mostly) minor issues noted here.

If Tesla comes out with a moderately priced van I will probably buy that to replace wife's 2014 Town and Country

·
Registered
18 Posts
2nd recall for a fire risk. Might be some major things wrong that have not presented it self yet. I would not purchase it agin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've negotiated the purchase of a Limited but can't complete the deal until the recall runs it's course. I share your concerns about reliability.

I geeked out and built a detailed vehicle cost model in excel to compare several options. I included electricity prices (low in my area), financing, incentives, gas prices (high in my area), registration fees (extra fees for PHEV's in my State), state incentives, fed incentives, repairs, and resale values. Over a 72 month ownership period (12,000 miles/year) the Pacifica was significantly cheaper to own than a comparable Toyota Sienna. I estimate ownership and operating expenses on the Pacifica to be $37,733 ($.52/mile) and a comparable Toyota to be $50,384 ($.70/mile).

I own a honda clarity PHEV and really like the efficiency, torque, comfort and quiet of a PHEV.

Since my model assumes $1,800 of extra repair costs and $5,000 less resale value, I think I've accounted for the downside of owning a Chrysler.

Your mileage may vary. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bought my 2019 at the end of 2018. I can't speak for models before the 2019.
I think I have a recall i need to take it back for but have not done that yet.
Overall the vehicle has been great. I did come from having other hybrid or electric vehicles so i was prepared with regards to driving habits and having the level 2 charging at home.
95% of my day to day is on electric. We use very little gas unless we go on a longer day trip or road trip. Opted to put in premium gas as I dont mind spending more money on gas when i do fill it since i don't fill it often.

Haven't experienced any issues that stand out in my mind. Used winter tires in the winter here in Canada and although not as good as my all wheel drive CX-9 it replaced it seemed quite acceptable.

The only issue i can report that is making me contemplate trading it is its inability to pull a trailer. I did install a 2" hitch for my bike rack and hitch travel rack but the manual states do not tow... so with not risking voiding any warranty im looking into what re my options to pull a boat trailer. I dont want to move to a gas vehicle so im looking at other options (which there are none other than Tesla Model X) or waiting out for the new electric SUVs or F150. But again with a large price tag.

If you dont want to pull anything with it then its great and the family loves it... I do wish it had a quick charger for when we do go on longer trips... to reduce fuel consumption but not sure if the newer models have it or not either.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
214 Posts
I do wish it had a quick charger for when we do go on longer trips... to reduce fuel consumption but not sure if the newer models have it or not either.
I do stand to be corrected here as I do not have a hybrid. But AFAIK, the charge speed is dependent on the charger being used. Which relies on the voltage available to plug it in. You would not find many 240 volt plugins along the highway.
The vehicle can already accept the faster charger inputs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Pacifica PHEV owners and enthusiasts. I am researching vehicles in hopes of purchasing one near the end of the year. One paper the Pacifica PHEV ticks almost every box that's important to me, with the big exception of only FWD. For what it's worth, I'm only interested in buying used based on my budget (30k) and 2018 or 2019 Limited models with sunroof, under 30k miles. In doing hours of deep diving, I've read highs and lows of this vehicle, which gives me great concerns for purchase. Here are my top concerns in no particular order:

- Overall reliability
I'm reluctant to spend up to 30k on a car that may routinely require maintenance. It seems for every one good youtube video or forum post, there is a negative video/post. Engine/drive noise that may or may not be "normal", weird dash/console problems, and jamming doors/windows. I mean, it seems like even pumping gas in this thing can be difficult...all seems alarming. Also recalls appear to be as routine as going to the dentist...

Exacerbating the above issues is the lack of general knowledge from most Chrysler dealerships. What good is the standard warranty if may local dealerships doesn't know how to fix many of these issues or claim they can't reproduce the issue under their inspection? I'm in Minnesota, which is probably one of the worst states to be in for this car because we don't have many Chrysler dealerships and I assume the winter months won't do me any extra favors for long term care. When I've looked over the last few months, only one dealership in the entire state sells new Pacifica PHEVs and even then it's only one or two in stock at a time. Occasionally you'll find used vehicles at other nearby dealers, but for some reason the bulk of used Pacific PHEVs seems to be in southern Wisconsin or eastern Iowa, which is were I'm likely to purchase if I pull the trigger. If so, I'd be at the mercy of dealership(s) where I didn't buy the car.

- Long term use
We're expecting our second kid and my plan is to own this next vehicle for at least 10 years, averaging 5-10k mile/year. I'd be a little nervous about long term use with any PHEV vehicle, but after researching the Pacifica PHEV, I'd be very nervous about making that goal without many trips to the mechanic.

So what do you existing owners have to say about my predicament? Has anyone gotten to a relatively high mileage (>75k)? What about winter wear and tear? Is engine/driving noise really normal and noticeable enough that it's an issue for most of you? Anyone have guidance/opinions on 3rd party warranty to go above and beyond the Chrysler warranty? All opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Tyler in Minnesota
Just my opinion: I have a 2017 PAC Limited - fully loaded, stander engine. I always lease and after 6 Hondas I lease this because they basically gave me the same lease price as what I was paying on my 2015 Honda Pilot SE. That being said, the main selling feature of this van is the second row stow-and-go seats, which get eliminated when you get the PHEV because that is where the batteries are. What’s the point of getting a Pacifica and not having one of their main features? In that case you are better off getting a used Honda Odyssy or a Toyota Highlander Hybred, etc. I have fully utilized the stow-and-go seats many many times. I can fit full sheets of plywood in, I’ve recently got 65 wall blocks in, moved my wife’s office furniture from one school to the next. On our recent trip form SoCal to Santa Fe NM I was getting 30mpg on the highway at about 78miles per hour. Yes in town I only get about 18mpg, but is the extra you’ll pay for an PHEV worth a few extra miles? Do the math and check your return on investment and how long it will take compared to a standard Pacifica - you may be surprised. I did when I leased my 2017 and the PHEV was going to be at least 3K more, there was no way even with our high gas prices I’d make that back in savings. And will you really plug it in every night to really get that benefit? My wife has a 2019 Ford Fusion PHEV and rarely plugs it in (it get good milage anyway. Look around first, there are many options other than a used Pac PHEV. Just my thought. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts

- Overall reliability

- Long term use

Thanks in advance,

Tyler in Minnesota
I agree that most posts are about problems. I was worried too so bought an extended warranty from the credit union, which is much cheaper than the one offered by the dealer. I have 21,000 miles on my 2018 pachy, and so far the extended warranty appears to be unnecessary. I have the limited, with a lot of extras, and EVERYTHING is working perfectly. We get 35 to 80 mph depending on how much local driving we do, and love the van. My son followed suit in San Diego and bought a used one this year, for about $30,000. I bought new and paid $44,500 and got $11,400 in tax credit/rebates. Hope it lasts 10+ years!

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
56 Posts
Do the math and check your return on investment and how long it will take compared to a standard Pacifica - you may be surprised. I did when I leased my 2017 and the PHEV was going to be at least 3K more, there was no way even with our high gas prices I’d make that back in savings. And will you really plug it in every night to really get that benefit? My wife has a 2019 Ford Fusion PHEV and rarely plugs it in (it get good milage anyway. Look around first, there are many options other than a used Pac PHEV. Just my thought. Hope it helps.
Did you factor in any fed & state tax incentives? For me, I get $7500 tax credit from the Federal, and $5000 from Colorado. Thats almost half the $3K you calculated. I'm also in a place where I can do good on solar, I'm still checking out what I can do that way. My sister got a deal a few years back, where she is only paying about half what she did before for her electric, and the solar panels will be paid off in about 10 years. If I can swing that, the electric will not cost me anything. So far, I have about 1200 miles, and about 100 of it is on gas (thanks to not understanding how the gas & oil refresh cycle works). Since almost all my miles are around town, I was only getting about 18 MPG with my 17 pac. So far I have only about $15 in gas. In the end, it is what driving, and how much each person does that determines if a hybrid is right for them.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just my opinion: I have a 2017 PAC Limited - fully loaded, stander engine. I always lease and after 6 Hondas I lease this because they basically gave me the same lease price as what I was paying on my 2015 Honda Pilot SE. That being said, the main selling feature of this van is the second row stow-and-go seats, which get eliminated when you get the PHEV because that is where the batteries are. What’s the point of getting a Pacifica and not having one of their main features? In that case you are better off getting a used Honda Odyssy or a Toyota Highlander Hybred, etc. I have fully utilized the stow-and-go seats many many times. I can fit full sheets of plywood in, I’ve recently got 65 wall blocks in, moved my wife’s office furniture from one school to the next. On our recent trip form SoCal to Santa Fe NM I was getting 30mpg on the highway at about 78miles per hour. Yes in town I only get about 18mpg, but is the extra you’ll pay for an PHEV worth a few extra miles? Do the math and check your return on investment and how long it will take compared to a standard Pacifica - you may be surprised. I did when I leased my 2017 and the PHEV was going to be at least 3K more, there was no way even with our high gas prices I’d make that back in savings. And will you really plug it in every night to really get that benefit? My wife has a 2019 Ford Fusion PHEV and rarely plugs it in (it get good milage anyway. Look around first, there are many options other than a used Pac PHEV. Just my thought. Hope it helps.
I have a electric and fellow at work has a ice version . He’s sitting at 28 mpg and I’m sitting at 38 mpg . All I can say is that leasing this vehicle isn’t viable but after driving the ice and the ehybrid it’s a no brainer as the powertrain is far superior in the hybrid . Also here in Ontario charging is free at malls , gym , theatre , arenas , parking , etc . I daily drive mine and last time I put gas in was 2 months ago and it cost me 37 bucks and cost to plug in was zero .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts