2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we became a family of 6, had twins a few weeks ago so we are looking for a bigger vehicle as out pathfinder is getting snug. We really like the pacifica for its tech and “looks”. But ive been sceptical of the reliabilty of these things. So im posting on here to see how everyone feels about they’re pacificas. I see tons of transmission issues, battery issues, even rust and corrosion which is worrysome. Should we look elsewhere, oddyssey? Or give the chrysler a chance?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well, this is the "Chrysler Pacifica Minvan Issues and Problems" subforum. No matter how hard you look, you won't find a "Chrysler Pacifica Minivan No Issues and No Problems" subforum, but if there was one I would definitely post to it. Knock on wood, we have yet to have any reason to take ours in to the dealer except for the two recalls, neither of which addressed any symptoms of our vehicle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
So we became a family of 6, had twins a few weeks ago so we are looking for a bigger vehicle as out pathfinder is getting snug. We really like the pacifica for its tech and “looks”. But ive been sceptical of the reliabilty of these things. So im posting on here to see how everyone feels about they’re pacificas. I see tons of transmission issues, battery issues, even rust and corrosion which is worrysome. Should we look elsewhere, oddyssey? Or give the chrysler a chance?
Have had 0 problems with mine. Has been 100% reliable.

·
Registered
190 Posts
16,000mi and no regrets. Still the best out there IMO (features, practicality, looks and even cost). Some have issues with any vehicle. Anytime you push technology beyond the competition there is often bumps in the road.The engines and transmissions are in hundreds of thousands of vehicles - there is no systemic issue mechanically. Instead of mechanical concerns that most had in the past, technology bugs may become the new measure of reliability.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went through the same thing just 2 months ago - which van to get. I went between Odyssey, Sedona and Pacifica but always leaned toward the Pacifica due to the Technology and Stow N Go seats and to me it's the best looking one out there (IMHO). Don't really feel like taking seats out especially when your running around. I've gone through every youtube video on each van along with reviews. Concerns regarding transmission and engine etc? Well, not sure if you are aware but the ZF Transmission 9 speed in the Pacifica is the same one sourced in the Honda Pilot and Honda Oddyssey. That's right ZF (Germany) makes the tranny's and used in a lot of vehicles - Jags, Aston Martins, BMW's Honda's, Rolls Royce, Chryslers etc. As far as the engine 3.6L Pentastar it's been a great engine used for awhile in the Chrysler lineup. Rust and corrosion is a defect in the Chrysler manufacturing process in the early runs of PAcifica's. For example if you have blistering on the paint, its because air was trapped during the painting process. I'm sure that's been corrected now. Keep in mind the hood is aluminum (lighter material) so perhaps it was a learning process for FCA. Since Pacifica's are fairly new (3 years old) and a new redesign, reliability is still undetermined as it's too early. If you want to best your decision on reliability go with Sienna as it has been in the market for awhile. Toyota has a fairly conservative approach to redesigning a new vehicle if they know things are working and reliable. But if you like the newest thing their comes risk as with anything electronic and has wheels. Even the newly designed Honda had some transmission issues so I wouldn't bank on just the name as being reliable - new design, new tech (even the earthdreams engine) associated with risks. If you want ease of mind get the extended warranty from the dealer. If you are like me and keep your cars till their last breath it is worth it. If you continually renew your cars every 3 yrs or so then reliability shouldn't be a concern cause your covered under warranty. I've pretty much owned quite a bit of car manufacturers throughout my years - Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM, Dodge, Chrysler, Nissan, Lincoln, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo and too be frank each has their own issues, some lean towards, electrical, others towards mechanical, others towards fit and finish etc. Get what you like and buy any extended warranty to ease your mind. I ended up with the Pacifica Limited because it fits what I like (recently picked it up 1 week ago), I love the comfort, style, economy, luxury and practicality, the others - Odyssey, Sienna, Sedona didn't match up to the Tech in the Pacifica and the Stow n Go. This is what sold me. Issues? Yet to be seen,

·
Registered
330 Posts
Every car forum I have ever been on ALWAYS has posts with problems - that's what these forums are for. People come on and ask for help when they have a problem - they don't come on and post "everything is fine" - it is the nature of these forums.
Every car magazine comparison I am aware of has put the Pacifica on top of its competitors.
I have not regretted buying the Pacifica - and I am an old fart (72) and have owned dozens of cars - Volvos, a Porsche, a Honda, VWs, a Ford, and Chryslers (including Dodge and Plymouth) - I've driven over a million miles, adding up the miles on cars I've owned.

·
Registered
979 Posts
We had an Odyssey. When it came time to replace it, we compared it to the new Odyssey, and the Pacifica easily won. Stow and Go seating is really nice, and the Pacifica was quieter, rode better, and handled at least as well. Most magazine comparisons give the Pacifica the edge. Our 2018 has had no battery, transmission, or corrosion issues in 18K miles. The only function problem was a software bug (since fixed) that prevented the third row power stow from working (only the Limited has this).

I highly recommend the Advanced Safety Tech package. It has features that have become standard on many other vehicles, and will likely enhance the resale value as those features will be demanded by future buyers.

I also strongly suggest the Limited model. It has much better headlights, a fantastic 360 camera that really aids parking, and other great stuff. You can also usually deal better on a Limited. Pick your dealer carefully by reputation.

Congratulations on the twins! I suspect you have a few sleepless nights. :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
As I wrote in another thread, most people are out enjoying their Pacificas and do not have time to time to post on how well it works. When people have problems, they come here for help and that makes the car lool like it is problem plagued which I do not think is the case. I have 14000 miles in 16 months and am happy with mine. In fact, for the first time today I had the nerve to let it parallel park itself. How cool was that!

If it is within your budget, get the Advanced Safety Package. I love it on the highway.

We are a 71 year old couple and absolutely enjoy the convenience when going on a bike trip or camping. Stow and Go is the way to go!

·
Registered
26 Posts
We have both the Sedona and Pacifica. I was about to get another Sedona, but everything behind the front seats convinced me to get the Pac, Dual monitors that can play individual movies and apps, the seats that can pivot forward with a car seat still attached for third row access (really useful), the vacuum and the extra storage space in the Stow n Go well since I never stow the second row seats. I had issues with my Pac, though. Defective front bumper, sunroof rattle, and now a new rattle in the passenger side and I've only had it since June. The major mechanical issues seem to be mostly on the 2017s and some 18s.

I didn't get the Sienna because it's an older platform and I can't stand their center console. The Honda was out because of no 360 camera view and weak rear entertainment. And there is generally less discounts for Toyota and Honda to be had vs the Chrysler and Kia.

I'll say this for my Sedona, it's been rock solid and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The seats are more comfortable but you lose out on the Stow n Go and pivot. Otherwise, get a couple of used iPads and a Dust Buster and you'll be set. And Kia has a better warranty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've owned my 18 PacHy for one year. Now have 25k miles and still love it. No major issues (still has original battery(s)). Recall was performed before I took delivery. Uconnect and rear entertainment is a little glitchy but works 9 out of 10 times for us. We chose the Pacifica because we have had great experiences with the past 2 town and countrys and The Honda and Toyota seemed boring. We opted for the lifetime mopar extended warranty this time because this being the second model year. My plan, keep it till it hits 200k or more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
As mentioned by others and which I agree with, the Pacifica looks better and has better tech than the competitors. I leased it because this was my first Chrysler and reliability was a mystery for me, but so far I've been really enjoying the minivan although had to get the battery replaced and the dealer experience has been mediocre. Great practicality with the stow n go. The car actually rides/handles pretty well for a large vehicle; its very comfortable (seats are a 6/10; suspension is a 8.5/10 in my opinion). Ride height could be a tad higher as I find myself consistently scrapping the bumper on parking lot curbs and sidewalks. The 2021 Sienna re-design will be interesting as Toyota should be upping their infotainment game, which I'm sure FCA will by then bring out an updated Pacifica. All the better. I've heard Honda had many issues with the Ody (tranny / electronics most notably) so I avoided.

FCA, if you are listening, please give us a SRT Pacifica with AWD. E63 wagon is rad and I'd love one (perhaps a used one) but I'd take a V8 stuffed in a Pacifica for half the cost and with much more usability than an E wagon and would be even more proud to drive it around as my daily driver. I do spin the fronts unintentionally at times with some torque steer so would be nice if AWD was offered like the Sienna.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am 1.5 years in, 26k miles, 5k of those are towing a 2500 lb trailer. I have never had a single issue with the Pacifica. I was against a minivan until I sat in the Pacifica, it is really an amazing vehicle. I am 6'5" and it has one of the most roomy front seats of any car I have ever been in, I have also ridden for an hour in the back row and it was quite comfortable.

Powerwise I have also never had any issues. It accelerates to highway speeds quite quickly.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
When I was looking for a bigger car for my expanding family, I was originally dead set against a minivan and was mostly looking at 3 row SUVs. But anytime we had to go on a trip or do airport runs to pick up in laws, I always ended up renting a minivan (for the space, extra seats, cargo capacity with seven on board, and cost) until one day it hit me........ why am I not renting a 3 row SUV if I want to buy one. If it’s the same for renting, it must be the same for owning it too. That was the aha... moment.
Sienna and Dodge caravan made me vomit, Sedona made me laugh at it. The only two real contenders were redesigned Odyssey and Pacifica. As mentioned by most here, the Pacifica meets or beats the Odyssey in most parameters including “looks”. The one area where Odyssey has a slight edge is engine smoothness, and perceived reliability. After owning several Honda’s for a decade I could easily “feel” the Honda engine revving from a mile away :D, I simply loved that part of Honda. Pacifica was better in every other aspect. So I got one (against the wishes of family and friends).
Now nearly two years and 18000 miles later, my opinion hasn’t changed a bit. I love the Pacifica for all it does, exceedingly well. It is mechanically sound, aesthetically pleasing, very comfortable, and very versatile due to excellent design and execution. My first American make vehicle hasn’t disappointed me.
For the OP I would recommend the 8seater version simply because with four kids, you’ll need it. There will be times when you’d want three in second row, or otherwise the option of having a few extra cup holders in the middle (by folding center seat back).
Be forewarned that when testing the cars the seats in Pacifica May feel slightly harder than the others, but it eventually turned out to be a non issue. If you go hybrid, you can get the regular comfier seats in second row.
Go test drive all of the competitors and make your own opinion. But I’ve a feeling you’d come back to Pacifica, because....... it’s that good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts