2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like these power sliding doors takes a whole lot of "resistance" to not close on some kids arm or leg. I can't compare it to anything else but a garage door or elevator but it seems like it would crush little kiddos bones. I've tried searching for videos on safety tests. Anyone know of a video of a demo, i.e. placing fake arms or obstacles while the doors are sliding to close?

On a side note, I showed my wife how to override the power lift gate (if there is not enough rear clearance and she needs to get something in the back to where she can open the lift gate halfway.) Holding on the latch/handle cancels the power lift and you can lift it manually. But then I made the mistake of closing it manually also (instead of power close). The next time I power opened it and I tried to stand behind it, acting like a wall, thinking it would reverse back, it did not and I couldn't stop it at all even at 220lbs. I guess the manual override to open, and closing it manually did not re- engage the safety stop/reverse. I had to open and close it electronically for the safety stop/reverse to work again. Just FYI for those using the override function. My wife just shook her head.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Growing up we had to worry about the door falling off our light blue with wood panels dodge minivan. It also had a fishing pole thru the floor for a shifter LOL. Now look at us, all growed up with our fancy vans that practically drive themselves.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had no issue with it. ANd while it may seem like it could crush a kids arm, has anyone testing the true impact force of the door? I have had the door shut on my 4 impatient 4-year-old a few times and the door was very sensitive - like an elevator door. It NEVER fully shut. It felt resistance and immediately opened back up.

In my opinion, if a door was to have injured a kid to a point that there's bruising or a broken arm, the door would have to shut with a lot more torque and speed than it already does (like slamming a car door on a finger - OUCH!) The emergency stop would almost have to be non-existent.

I have tried to manually close the sliding doors and there is so much resistance that it feels like you're dragging a bag of sand to close the door. Impossible to slam it shut with enough force to bruise an arm or finger.

And honestly, it closes so slowly it allows you to check for any items or body parts that may be in the way. All it takes is a pull of the handle or a little resistance to send it in the other direction. That's been my experience.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine (2018) has no issues. It only takes a light nudge for the door to reverse (both sides and trunk).

But when we test drove a 2017 at the dealer that one almost took her arm off.

Almost put us off the vehicle. But we ordered anyway because we liked the rest of the features and design, and I made sure to test this feature when we took delivery, prepared to walk away if it was defective.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I accidentally closed the door when my MIL is getting in to the car, the door touched her and went back. She almost believed I was trying to murder her, she made me realized that every time I drive the car with her (I can sometime hear her voice in my dreams also) :(

·
Registered
935 Posts
I accidentally closed the door when my MIL is getting in to the car, the door touched her and went back. She almost believed I was trying to murder her, she made me realized that every time I drive the car with her (I can sometime hear her voice in my dreams also) :(
Ha ha!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I tried the safety stop at the dealer. The salesman thought that I was nuts. I let the sliding door close on my arm. It was an unpleasant experience but no bruising and no pain. I am certain that a little kid could be injured under similar circumstances and I consider the safety stop inadequate for kids or pets.

It had closed on my neck too once when I was trying to get something from inside (under the infant child seat). It was so unpleasant that I swore never to do it again. At one point I felt that I would be decapitated. But I survived :D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually, had a valet driver close the sliding door despite me saying, "I'm still here (to get kid out of car seat)". The door made it to my arm but it backed off quite readily. Actually more aside from the surprise (the valet apologised profusely) it wasn't that tough at all. But perhaps I was wearing a thick jacket.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This thread reminded me that I wanted to check my doors. I've had my 2017 for about 3 months now and a couple of times I've put my arm in the way of the door to see how easily it stops and I've had to snatch my arm back out each time before it gets closed in the door! I just went to the garage and the driver's side door did the same thing - each time I had to yank my arm out before the door closed on it. The passenger side stopped each time. I did get the driver's door to stop but here's how it happened:

Driver's side:
1. Put arm in around elbow level - yank it out before it gets severed (ha ha - drama!)
2. Repeat this - SAME DEAL. I don't think it would have stopped. I need to try this with something other than an actual body part...

Passenger side:
3. Barely bumps me and opens back up - I notice that I stopped it further back (scared for my arm, LOL!).
4. Try again a little more in the middle of the opening - still stops but it shoves me a little harder this time.
5. Try again with my arm closer to the crunch-point and I'm scared - it did open but it pushed me HARD (a small child is definitely on the ground here but better than squashed by a door! They might be in trouble if they're half-in and half-out, though!)

Go back to Driver's side:
6. Since it seemed more sensitive the further the door was open, I put my hip in front of it toward the back of the opening - it barely bumps me and re-opens.
7. Move to the middle, let it bump my hip - opens right up.
8. Pretty close to the pinch point - let it bump my hip and it shoves a bit harder but opens up.
9. Stick my arm in again at elbow-level and have to yank it out of the way before it gets lopped off.

That was a 5-minute test. I'll have to look into it further. It's good that it seems more sensitive lower to the ground for kids but people could easily have an arm (or neck!) in at the elbow height grabbing something out, etc. It seems way less sensitive at taller heights than lower.

I need to take it to the dealer to get all of the recalls done so maybe I'll ask them about it. Doesn't seem right to me. My arm actually hurts from how hard I let it push on me before moving my arm out of the way. (And maybe I'll try again with something not alive and attached to my body...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 model.

My 2 year old pushed the sliding door button while standing inside the car waiting for my wife to unload the other child from a car seat. My wife pushed hard into the door to force it from closing. No amount of pushing would get the door to stop. She eventually had to remove herself and hope that the standing child was not be crushed.

In my opinion, the force applied to the door by my wife should have been enough for it to trigger a reversing motion. I would like to know what the expected behavior is by Chrysler and if they would issue a recall to address the behavior we experienced.

Since then, we are using the safety override to disable the interior sliding door buttons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 3 year old had her leg pinched in the door yesterday. I was a loading the back she went around to get in. I hear the door beep and her just screaming so I run around to see what happened and there she is crying on the floor and the door was completely closed.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
My 3 year old had her leg pinched in the door yesterday. I was a loading the back she went around to get in. I hear the door beep and her just screaming so I run around to see what happened and there she is crying on the floor and the door was completely closed.
Welcome to the forum. If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, etc.) in the signature line, it will show up at the bottom of each post and possibly help forum members answer questions.

So sorry to hear this happened to your daughter.

I would probably ask the service department to check the sliding doors just in case there is anything that needs worked on. The small button on the sliding door makes it easy for a kid to open the door, but if it is pressed again, the door will reverse. The fact that there was a beep meant that the door was shutting before it finished opening (unless your van beeps whenever the door moves.) The question is why? You might want to have an adult press the sliding door button while you are loading to see if the movement of the van while loading triggers the door to reverse its direction. Recently I had parts flashed (reprogrammed?) on a sliding door because it would reopen when closing if I entered the driver's door while the sliding door was closing. (My van has around 45,000 miles now.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Meanwhile, I think that my doors must be overly sensitive.

Often the doors will start to close, and then when they are almost closed they will reopen. This happens on both sides, but more on the driver side than passenger side. There were several times when we first got the van that we came back outside, and found a sliding door sitting open, since we had just walked away while it was closing like we used to do with our Town & Country. Now we stand there and watch it fully close before walking away.

Anybody know if there's a way to adjust the sensitivity?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Meanwhile, I think that my doors must be overly sensitive.

Often the doors will start to close, and then when they are almost closed they will reopen. This happens on both sides, but more on the driver side than passenger side. There were several times when we first got the van that we came back outside, and found a sliding door sitting open, since we had just walked away while it was closing like we used to do with our Town & Country. Now we stand there and watch it fully close before walking away.

Anybody know if there's a way to adjust the sensitivity?
I think that you have to take the van to the service department to have them reflash something. Here is a post about a TSB for sliding door issues. Check post #40 for the TSB number. It seems like the post quote shown below is from the middle of the thread but the link takes you to the intended post. You can read the rest of the thread to see how it compares to your door issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
16 Participants
SciTchr
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing