2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Pinnacle
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a sense of the true prevalence of issues with pacifica hybrids? With the number of posts on here about stalling issues, charging issues, weird on/off issues, etc. I'm starting to get worried about my hybrid order and wondering if I should switch to gas only? Obviously there are going to be more people posting about issues than positive experiences, and I appreciate all of the information and guidance from these posts, bur wondering if hybrid issues, whatever they may be, are a 5 to 10% of the time problem or even more prevalent than that.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2020 so far has been a champ. The are we there yet didn't work for a bit but they figured it out and fixed it. For the month of October the car only cost me 23 bucks in electricity to run. We do lots of short trips (drop kids at school, store, etc) and every time we come home we plug it in so it stays topped off pretty much all the time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
2021 Hybrid Limited. Love it, no issues. Had a 2018 gas Pacifica Limited, also a great vehicle, but I love the Hybrid so much more. Get the Hybrid. The addition of battery is environmentally friendly, costs less to operate and maintain, provides better handling with the weight of the battery down low (lowers center of gravity for the vehicle), and the acceleration is better with the torque of the battery motor. So many positives with the Hybrid.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
2021 Hybrid Limited. Love it, no issues. Had a 2018 gas Pacifica Limited, also a great vehicle, but I love the Hybrid so much more. Get the Hybrid. The addition of battery is environmentally friendly, costs less to operate and maintain, provides better handling with the weight of the battery down low (lowers center of gravity for the vehicle), and the acceleration is better with the torque of the battery motor. So many positives with the Hybrid.
Let’s not forget the regen braking , when I got rid of my 18 in 3 years of driving the brakes were almost like brand new .

·
Registered
20 Posts
2020 Hybrid Limited. Just passed 10000 miles. Only issue I’ve had is the “hands free sensor dirty” one, which while an annoyance, is definitely not a major issue. Love the car! Just wish it had a little more electric range, and a hold mode to save electric for when I want to use it. Spoiled by my Volt, I guess😀

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree that it's very hard to determine how many hybrids are having electrical issues. Mine certainly is. One thing that I can say is that Chrysler in general, and their dealer service departments in particular, seem woefully unprepared for electrical problems when they do occur. I've seen few, if any, reports of owners having their "Service Charging System" or other electrical issues resolved with a single visit to a single dealer. What I've seen instead is that the dealer only has one tech who's certified to work on the high voltage systems...he/she is overwhelmed...Chrysler Engineering has to be called in...and then, once they decide they need to replace the OBCM, it takes several weeks for it to arrive. My 2020 is at the fourth dealer. This one is actually trying to resolved the issues. They had the van for 5 weeks, thought the problem had been resolved, but it was back to the dealer the next day with the same...or similar...issue. Now another week has gone by and I haven't heard anything from the dealer about what's going on.

My guess is that the vast majority of hybrids go through life with only the usual automotive problems. But those (few?) owners that have electrical problems don't get them resolved quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Does anyone have a sense of the true prevalence of issues with pacifica hybrids? With the number of posts on here about stalling issues, charging issues, weird on/off issues, etc. I'm starting to get worried about my hybrid order and wondering if I should switch to gas only? Obviously there are going to be more people posting about issues than positive experiences, and I appreciate all of the information and guidance from these posts, bur wondering if hybrid issues, whatever they may be, are a 5 to 10% of the time problem or even more prevalent than that.

Thanks
2018 Limited NO reliability problems
Upgraded to:
2021 Pinnacle NO reliability problems

Uconnect on the other hand is buggy crap software in both vehicles. Vehicle reliability cannot be based on stupid software devs that don't care about what they push as those systems have not caused issues and left me broke down or stranded.

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Pinnacle
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that it's very hard to determine how many hybrids are having electrical issues. Mine certainly is. One thing that I can say is that Chrysler in general, and their dealer service departments in particular, seem woefully unprepared for electrical problems when they do occur. I've seen few, if any, reports of owners having their "Service Charging System" or other electrical issues resolved with a single visit to a single dealer. What I've seen instead is that the dealer only has one tech who's certified to work on the high voltage systems...he/she is overwhelmed...Chrysler Engineering has to be called in...and then, once they decide they need to replace the OBCM, it takes several weeks for it to arrive. My 2020 is at the fourth dealer. This one is actually trying to resolved the issues. They had the van for 5 weeks, thought the problem had been resolved, but it was back to the dealer the next day with the same...or similar...issue. Now another week has gone by and I haven't heard anything from the dealer about what's going on.

My guess is that the vast majority of hybrids go through life with only the usual automotive problems. But those (few?) owners that have electrical problems don't get them resolved quickly.
Thanks DMJ. That's my overall sense as well that the number of major issues are (hopefully) few, but if you get hit with one, it's going to be miserable. It's also hard to turn down the tax credit and the benefits others had noted above. So I'm leaning towards rolling the dice but don't have the trust in Chrysler that I do in other manufacturers. I had a 2016 3 series with electric issues that couldn't be resolved and after the 4th or 5th visit to the dealership BMW swapped my car for a new lease with nothing out of my pocket and no additional expense. It sounds like those who have major issues haven't had the same luck with Chrysler.

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Pinnacle
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2018 Limited NO reliability problems
Upgraded to:
2021 Pinnacle NO reliability problems

Uconnect on the other hand is buggy crap software in both vehicles. Vehicle reliability cannot be based on stupid software devs that don't care about what they push as those systems have not caused issues and left me broke down or stranded.
I agree. I'm not worried about potential Uconnect issues. They are very annoying and frustrating if you have them but if thr car is running safely, it is what it is.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
273 Posts
I agree. I'm not worried about potential Uconnect issues. They are very annoying and frustrating if you have them but if thr car is running safely, it is what it is.
Software issues alone will lead to the failure of at least 1 legacy OEM. People know what to expect after having smartphones for years.

·
Registered
743 Posts
They had the van for 5 weeks, thought the problem had been resolved, but it was back to the dealer the next day with the same...or similar...issue. Now another week has gone by and I haven't heard anything from the dealer about what's going on.
Are you within the lemon law policy in your state? If so, I would do that and get a new 21 or 22 and get another tax credit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It’s only realistic to believe the “ smarter “ the population wants their vehicle to be the potential for electrical problems only elevates the probability.
Just take a look at the wiring diagrams for a modern car. Then add in all the different static sensitive modules that need to talk to each other. It’s a wonder modern cars work at all!

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Touring L
99 Posts
2020 PacHy owner here, over 16000 miles.

No problems...other than the uConnect console locked up on me for the first time yesterday when plugging in my phone. I had to do a fuse pull to reset it, button based approach want working, nor did a vehicle power cycle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just passed 6k miles on a 2021 limited. No major issues here, other than the tailgate bug, and a one-off Uconnect freeze after the update.

I don't think anyone has a true sense of reliability - you're just going to get anecdotal stories on the forums.

For the current gen, (2017s on) Chrysler has produced on average 100k Pacifica's per year, and hybrids are estimated at 7-10% of that total (It's hard to get the hard data since it's not talked about. There were some quotes early on, but nothing recent). So my best guess is that there's probably around 40-50k hybrid Pacificas on the road.

That's not a lot of vehicles compared to others. Compare the Toyota RAV 4 - which sold 92k HYBRIDS in 2019 alone. We're a niche market (minivans) with an even smaller niche (plugin hybrids!) feature set. Yes, there needs to be supporting techs, but I get dealers put effort into their profit centers. Hopefully the numbers keep going up to support this model. I'm probably in a better region than others for Hybrid techs.

Someone familiar with Statistics could probably do a model of estimated hybrid sales numbers, correlate it to the number of forum issues relative to the 23k forum members (maybe 3-4k are hybrid owners? It skew higher for being more techy user base) and then come up with a probability of errors. :)

Personally, I calculated it as a risk, but it's a chance I'm willing to take and tacked on the extended warranty for peace of mind. I have minivan needs! There's literally no other option if you want a plug-in hybrid minivan.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
214 Posts
2021 owner here with ~30 000km. Only "big" issue I had was a faulty charging module, happened about 1 week after purchase, so probably defective from the factory. Was a relatively smooth process to fix; one visit to the dealer to diagnose, another one to replace the part. It took about 1 month to actually get the part as it was backordered. Dealer told me I could keep the Caravan loaner in the meantime, but I declined as my PacHy was still much nicer even when always running in "hybrid" mode.

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Pinnacle
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just passed 6k miles on a 2021 limited. No major issues here, other than the tailgate bug, and a one-off Uconnect freeze after the update.

I don't think anyone has a true sense of reliability - you're just going to get anecdotal stories on the forums.

For the current gen, (2017s on) Chrysler has produced on average 100k Pacifica's per year, and hybrids are estimated at 7-10% of that total (It's hard to get the hard data since it's not talked about. There were some quotes early on, but nothing recent). So my best guess is that there's probably around 40-50k hybrid Pacificas on the road.

That's not a lot of vehicles compared to others. Compare the Toyota RAV 4 - which sold 92k HYBRIDS in 2019 alone. We're a niche market (minivans) with an even smaller niche (plugin hybrids!) feature set. Yes, there needs to be supporting techs, but I get dealers put effort into their profit centers. Hopefully the numbers keep going up to support this model. I'm probably in a better region than others for Hybrid techs.

Someone familiar with Statistics could probably do a model of estimated hybrid sales numbers, correlate it to the number of forum issues relative to the 23k forum members (maybe 3-4k are hybrid owners? It skew higher for being more techy user base) and then come up with a probability of errors. :)

Personally, I calculated it as a risk, but it's a chance I'm willing to take and tacked on the extended warranty for peace of mind. I have minivan needs! There's literally no other option if you want a plug-in hybrid minivan.
Well said!

·
Administrator
2,430 Posts
2018- 12V battery died and took BPCM with it, which required replacing the HV battery.
2019- MIL came up once, went away by itself as soon as I got to the dealer.
Both had Uconnect glitches, I had to pull a fuse to reset maybe once or twice on each one. Drove 18-19k miles on each.
2021- Door kick sensors complain after driving in heavy rain. Last week MIL for the battery coolant heater popped up, went away after 2 days.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts