2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former 2014 T&C owner here looking to get into a 2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus. Today I test drove one at a dealership. It didn’t have the safety tech package I wanted but it had everything else. There were the packages
  • TRAILER TOW GROUP - 3,600 LB RATING
  • TIRE & WHEEL GROUP
  • HANDS FREE SLIDING DOOR & LIFTGATE GROUP
  • MOPAR WIRELESS PHONE-CHARGING PAD
The online price was $26,200. The dealer is trying to tack on another $1500 as fees for work they put into the vehicle to make it sell ready. So after tax, title, licensing, and doc fees, the OTD was around 32k.

Does this seem reasonable

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Why are you even considering it if it doesn't have the options you want?
Adv. Safety tech is a must have IMO.
^^^ This, and also that is pretty close to what you can get a new one for with the current deals. I'd pass, this dealer sounds a little sleezy. "Reconditioning fee", indeed!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Former 2014 T&C owner here looking to get into a 2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus. Today I test drove one at a dealership. It didn’t have the safety tech package I wanted but it had everything else. There were the packages
  • TIRE & WHEEL GROUP
The online price was $26,200. The dealer is trying to tack on another $1500 as fees for work they put into the vehicle to make it sell ready. So after tax, title, licensing, and doc fees, the OTD was around 32k.

Whether or not it's a good deal weighs heavily on the mileage and what fees they end up charging you. Taxes obviously vary by locale, but $5800 seems way too high for tax/title/license/fees. The steep fees alone would be enough for me to refuse to buy a vehicle from that dealership, unless there's an extended warranty or something else you didn't tell us about. To put this in perspective, we only paid $24,840 for our van (2018 Touring L, CPO w/23,500 miles) in November 2018. Our tax/title/license was only about $2150 including a $400 document fee that I couldn't talk them out of.

Regarding the price of the van alone, if there's still some of the factory warranty left (has less than 36K miles) then that's a really good deal for a van with those options IMO. If there's more than 50K miles on it, it's a fair price at best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, it has been impossible to find a Touring L Plus with the SafetyTech package within 100 miles of my area. This is the only reason I was wavered. The mileage on the vehicle at that dealership was 27.9k.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Unfortunately, it has been impossible to find a Touring L Plus with the SafetyTech package within 100 miles of my area. This is the only reason I was wavered. The mileage on the vehicle at that dealership was 27.9k.
That's a pretty good deal for that van IMO. The factory warranty expires 3 years from the manufacture date or 36K milles - whichever comes first. If applicable, the CPO warranty adds 3 months/3,000 miles to that (with $100 deductable) and extends the powertrain warranty to 6 years/100K miles. Those fees would be a dealbreaker for me though.

I'd expand your search area if possible. Good deals are worth the drive, but you must be willing to walk away if the deal doesn't feel right. Don't let any dealership pressure/guilt you into buying the car. They will try to exploit the fact that you drove a long ways to see something and have made prior arrangements (i.e. getting pre-approved for a loan) to make a purchase. I've found that good dealerships will often go out of their way to accommodate you if they're confident they can make a sale. They should be confident because they believe the vehicle they're selling will meet/exceed your expectations and the price is fair; not (just) because of their salesmanship.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a pretty good deal for that van IMO. The factory warranty expires 3 years from the manufacture date or 36K milles - whichever comes first. If applicable, the CPO warranty adds 3 months/3,000 miles to that (with $100 deductable) and extends the powertrain warranty to 6 years/100K miles. Those fees are a dealbreaker though.

I'd expand your search area if possible. Good deals are worth the drive, but you must be willing to walk away if the deal doesn't feel right. Don't let the dealership pressure/guilt you into buying the car - especially when they know you drove a long ways to see it. A good dealership won't do that. In fact, I've found they will often go out of their way to accommodate you if they're confident they can make a sale. They should be confident if they believe the vehicle they're selling will meet/exceed your expectations and the price is fair; not just because of their salesmanship.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited. Bought it loaded. Safety package is worth waiting for, you will absolutely love the stow-n-go seating! I've had it up to 95mph and it rode perfectly, smooth, quite, no hesitation, exceptional handling. No I don't drive 95 regularly but it was a great test. My only grip was the Uconnect radio system has some bugs that have not been worked out. I bought it as a taxi vehicle, and the 8 feet of cargo space I can lay a piece of 4x8 plywood flat was a big plus. Get the lowest miles you can with the safety package. No, I don't think you should be charged what they put into it, I don't think that is a good way to sell a vehicle in the first place. Maybe start looking at deals you can get on a NEW Pacifica, my guess is that it's a buyers market now. Get what you want you deserve it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's a pretty good deal for that van IMO. The factory warranty expires 3 years from the manufacture date or 36K milles - whichever comes first. If applicable, the CPO warranty adds 3 months/3,000 miles to that (with $100 deductable) and extends the powertrain warranty to 6 years/100K miles. Those fees would be a dealbreaker for me though.

I'd expand your search area if possible. Good deals are worth the drive, but you must be willing to walk away if the deal doesn't feel right. Don't let any dealership pressure/guilt you into buying the car. They will try to exploit the fact that you drove a long ways to see something and have made prior arrangements (i.e. getting pre-approved for a loan) to make a purchase. I've found that good dealerships will often go out of their way to accommodate you if they're confident they can make a sale. They should be confident because they believe the vehicle they're selling will meet/exceed your expectations and the price is fair; not (just) because of their salesmanship.
Thats not totally true...the warranty starts from the in service date or first sale/owner. If it was manufactured in January and sold in June the warranty starts in a June. IMO that’s expensive. Its 3 model years old technically. $1500 recondition fee is bogus and if it needed that much work it was probably not well taken care of by the original owner. What could they have done to a vehicle still under warranty? Tires, breaks, alignment? I would expand your search and be willing to go farther to get what you want at a better deal I’m sure. It’s a pandemic, dealers are sitting on months old inventory.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My inclination would be to go new with fewer frills. My 2018 L was $26k brand new. It has everything I want except maybe trailer package. I bought it in September after the 2019s were already available. The basic car is pretty reliable but not so much for some of the fancy options. I have stow and go, alloy wheels and power seat. I threw in a 7 year bumper to bumper contract. Love it. I guess they are going to start calling this a Voyager but mine says Pacifica.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My inclination would be to go new with fewer frills. My 2018 LX was $26k brand new. It has everything I want except maybe trailer package. I bought it in September after the 2019s were already available. The basic car is pretty reliable but not so much for some of the fancy options. I have stow and go, alloy wheels and power seat. I threw in a 7 year bumper to bumper contract. Love it. I guess they are going to start calling this a Voyager but mine says Pacifica.
Oh, Sorry. It was an LX. Haven't had any problems. Yes, that fee is bogus. Reconditioning is an operating cost already figured in to the inflated dealer price, which is generally much higher than the private sale price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
  • TIRE & WHEEL GROUP

Sounds high. I paid $36k brand-new, plus $1k for tow hitch and wiring. Wireless brake controller was another $300, owner-installed. Critical advice: ask for warranty dates on the two batteries. The originals were worthless on thousands of units! They could not keep up with the electrical loads, and the Electronic Start/Stop never worked without frequent external re-charging.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The purchase price of a brand new 2020 TL+ equipped with the Towing, Advanced SafetyTec, and Hands-Free packages the OP wants - even with the current sales slump that favors the customer - is going to be at least $38K. That's almost a $12K difference on the price alone plus the additional sales tax they will pay on the difference.

• Again, I'm only comparing the price of the used van alone ($26,200) to a brand new one. I'm not factoring in the the lofty $5800 in fees that dealership wants to charge because tax/title/license will need to be paid regardless of if they buy used or new and a good dealership won't add BS fees. The lowest price of a used 2018 or newer van with the options listed
I don't know how anyone could possibly think paying almost 50% more is worth it to get a brand new van.

My advise to the OP:

Personally, I would opt out of the Hand-Free Liftgate & Doors option. It's a gimmicky feature that's not worth the added cost IMO. You need to jump all the way up to a TL+ just to get it - even then it's not standard equipment. The power liftgate & sliding doors already open with a touch of a button anyways on a Touring Plus that's two trim levels lower and far cheaper. If you want leather interior (and heated front seats) shop for a Touring L, but if you can settle for cloth seats look for a Touring Plus. Starting in 2019, the Cold Weather Package (adds heated front seats & heated steering wheel) was optional for the Touring Plus.

For 2018, Touring-L is the lowest trim that the Advanced Safety Package could be bought with, but in 2019 it was made available on Touring Plus models.

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
860 Posts
Don't know where you are located. Reedman in PA outside of Philadelphia often is $6K off MSRP.

I don't remember seeing tow packages on their site inventory.

My dealer matched their discount.

If you are planning to keep the van for years, hang in there for AST, new or used.

If you are getting used, check out extended warranty plans. I don't remember if Mopar contracts are available on resales. If you buy new,you can hold off on that purchase till you approach the bumper to bumper limit. And 3rd party Mopar sellers are usually cheaper than most dealers. I went to extend my warranty when I hadn't found a new van before the end of 3 years (it was a 39 month lease.) I found one at half the price the my dealer wanted.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
  • TIRE & WHEEL GROUP

Run as fast as you can. Never heard of a dealer adding a reconditioning fee. Either they price it with reconditioning included or they don't add anything. The technology package is well worth it. Try some other dealer and get them to throw in Chrysler extended warranty to get you to purchase Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
  • TIRE & WHEEL GROUP

I don't think so. I have a 2018 Limited with a 27 month lease that ends this month. Mileage allowance is 27,000. Options are advanced safety tec package ($1000), premium Harmon Kardon sound ($700), trailer tow package ($1000), and the Uconnect theater package ($2000 of uselessness for us). Hands free sliding doors & lift gate (among other things) are standard. Purchase price off the lease is $30,176 + sales tax. When I acquired the van I asked my salesman if there was anything added to that purchase price besides sales tax. He said no. I'm leaning strongly toward buying it so we'll see. I'm sure they will add something. I'm in MI with 6% sales tax so the total will be just under $32,000 w/o anything else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts