2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 2 days of ownership we have encountered our first issue. The car shut down while in park at an ATM. My wife was driving and she spent several minutes of fumbling around looking for her smart key, putting it in drive with no traction and pushing the start button while people were honking at her. Finally she took her foot off of the brake, reset the car to off using the start button, opened and closed the door and pressed the start button with brakes applied (normal start) and the car restarted and she drove away. Now the engine light and the Auto start/stop service lights are on and we took it to the dealer for evaluation. Has anybody encountered this before?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well, after 2 days of ownership we have encountered our first issue. The car shut down while in park at an ATM. My wife was driving and she spent several minutes of fumbling around looking for her smart key, putting it in drive with no traction and pushing the start button while people were honking at her. Finally she took her foot off of the brake, reset the car to off using the start button, opened and closed the door and pressed the start button with brakes applied (normal start) and the car restarted and she drove away. Now the engine light and the Auto start/stop service lights are on and we took it to the dealer for evaluation. Has anybody encountered this before?
It's a 2019, so that means it sat around for a while on the dealer lot. Most of the issues that I've read about here have something to do with the batteries (main 12V and the auxiliary battery that powers the ESS). You might try assessing the charge level of those batteries. I think you can see the 12V battery health by pressing the start button WITHOUT your foot on the pedal (to enter run mode) and then use the digital cluster to see what reading you're getting from the 12V. The aux battery is harder to assess. But that is the first thing that comes to mind based on what you've reported.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the response. The car is at the dealer, so we will see what they come back with. I have read of a few auxiliary battery failures on this forum, so that seems likely, although I don't know why the car would shut down while in park? Is that normal behavior with ESS?.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I appreciate the response. The car is at the dealer, so we will see what they come back with. I have read of a few auxiliary battery failures ..... Is that normal behavior with ESS?.
That’s not normal. ESS is NOT supposed to shut off car while the gear is in park (but only when you are in “drive” with brake fully applied to stop from moving). Aux battery is one of the prime suspects. Not sure why Chrysler hasn’t figured this out yet. May be they don’t want to.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I appreciate the response. The car is at the dealer, so we will see what they come back with. I have read of a few auxiliary battery failures on this forum, so that seems likely, although I don't know why the car would shut down while in park? Is that normal behavior with ESS?.
Hi Roadtrip,

We regret to hear of your concerns. Please feel free to send us a private message if you'd like an additional layer of assistance while your vehicle is in for service.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
267 Posts
Here's what I think actually happened. Unless your wife had ESS disabled beforehand, the van probably shut the engine off before she put it in park, and for whatever reason the engine didn't restart like it should have. Unaware that the engine wasn't running, she thought that she moved the shift knob back to drive, but actually only moved it to neutral (you can't move the shift knob past neutral unless the engine is running). When she took her foot off the brake and hit the gas pedal, nothing happened. At this point the van would've automatically put itself in park. When she hit the start button at this time it would've selected the OFF position.

So, in short, I think everything worked as expected except for the engine not restarting when she moved the shift knob to park the first time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Freddief73,
That sounds like a likely scenario.
All,
We will be getting our car back today. The dealer, Bob Baker in Carlsbad, Ca. was very thorough in diagnosing the problem. They replaced both batteries (main and auxillary) and drove the car to make sure the problem doesnt repeat. The service advisor suspects that because the car was sitting on the lot for several months (64 miles on odometer when we purchased) and was used for demos without driving it, that the aux battery was drained.(thanks Pleckerling) They confirmed that if the aux battery is drained, the main battery will drain, since they are in series with each other.
This sounds like the same issue several others have reported on this forum. It seems there is a systemic problem with the battery system and I would like to avoid having to interpret check engine lights and start/stop service lights and ultimately replaceing the batteries in the future. What is Chrysler Cares advice on this problem or any experienced Pacifica owners?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We got our car back 3 days ago after the dealer replaced both batteries. Today (12/9), after slowly moving forward at a metered freeway on ramp and starting the merge, the service stop/start light came on and then the charging system light, and a message saying the car will stop soon, pull over when safe. We drove straight to the Chrysler dealer and gave them the car. They said the code read charging system high voltage. After turning the car off and back on, the service lights and messages turned off. My Wife says she no longer wants to drive the car. Ill let you know what the service says.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hi Roadtrip,

We sincerely regret to hear of this happening with your vehicle! If you'd like an additional layer of assistance while your vehicle is in service, please feel free to send us a private message.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
267 Posts
We got our car back 3 days ago after the dealer replaced both batteries. Today (12/9), after slowly moving forward at a metered freeway on ramp and starting the merge, the service stop/start light came on and then the charging system light, and a message saying the car will stop soon, pull over when safe. We drove straight to the Chrysler dealer and gave them the car. They said the code read charging system high voltage. After turning the car off and back on, the service lights and messages turned off. My Wife says she no longer wants to drive the car. Ill let you know what the service says.
That's interesting. I'm guessing the van's computer detected the output voltage of the alternator was too high and disabled it. Of course this means the van was running on the battery alone which probably explains the "car will stop soon, pull over when safe" message.

I don't think it's for the same issue, but there was a recall in Aug/Sept 2018 for a few 2018-2019 Pacifica vans with a bad voltage regulator chip in the PCM (Chrysler recall # U87/NHTSA Campaign Number 18V524000). I wonder if your van was included in that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
During the first repair, dealer checked the PCM per a TSB and reported that it was working at 100%. I'm not sure exactly what that meant.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got our car back on Friday, 12/13/19. They replaced the alternator due to overcharging. The service advisor said that was also the cause of both batteries failing previously. I'm so worried about this car. Its been in the shop for half of the time we bought it on Nov 30. We bought it for long road trips with our 2 large dogs but my wife has lost confidence in driving it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now our radio is emitting a high pitched sound. It goes up and down with the volume. Constant frequency. AM or FM. I haven't tried streaming yet. Has anyone heard of this before?

The fun continues.

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
900 Posts
That sounds like there is some source of RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) in the van -- maybe from some component that has run amok and that is playing hob with the control systems in the van. I assume it continues no matter where the van is.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The sound problem started all of a sudden, continued over a 2 mile drive, and continued in my garage as well as after several power cycles. Today, it went away upon starting the car in the morning.

I'm having a minor issue with Android Auto. When I listen to a CD (listen in) on the theater system I can not get the streaming spotify music through Android Auto to resatart until I unplug the phone and restart AA. Weird. The volume control gets stuck at whatever level it was at for the CD, and there is no sound. The spotify play and stop button think it is streaming.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's not a good start at all (regarding new car ownership). :(

I just got mine yesterday, and have driven it 30 miles & so far all is well (mine is also a 2020 & didn't sit on the lot long).

Does your dealership provide a courtesy minivan when they are working on your Pacifica? If so, maybe it needs a day at the service department to go over the van (throwing about an hours worth of kitchen sink use of all features).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been servicing my car at a dealer near where I live in Oceanside, Ca. Amarine, you might be familiar with Camp Pendleton near Oceanside. :). My local service dealer has provided a rental car but not a minivan. I bought the car from a dealer in the LA area and I plan to discuss the issues with them and see what they can do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts