2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming home from a road trip and about 200 miles from home when my check engine light came on. At the same time I noticed that the van was switching rapidly between the gas engine and the battery. I stopped and talked to a dealer service along the way and was advised to have the car checked out when I got home. I was told that as long as the check engine light wasn't flashing that it was safe to drive. When I had the dealer check it out (after waiting 2 weeks for an appointment), I was told that the battery cooler was defective and I needed a new one. My dealers service dept said this has become a problem with Pacifica hybrids and the needed part was on back order and they didn't know when they could get the replacement part. I don't feel that the van is safe to drive but the prospect of being in a rental car for weeks or months is not very pleasant. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Please check the wire connectivity
The dealer would have already done that. They don't throw parts at things without checking the obvious first.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L
2 Posts
I have the same issue. In fact, it seems to be happening frequently given the cooler weather. I was told it was fine to drive with the coolant heater out, but have noticed the car overall runs rougher. I read a suggestion to just not charge the vehicle and let it run as a hybrid for the time being.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just had the same issue with our new 2021 (odo 4000). Fully charged and we just drove 10 miles, and the battery was still at 100%. The engine was running a little rougher too. Thought maybe it was due to the cooler weather (20F in MN today), but we had it in our garage overnight so that doesn’t add up. Please keep us posted on what you find.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
The reason it is running rougher is the hybrid transaxle has to switch from charge sustaining mode and charge torque mode to allowing the engine to free spin without adding more charge to the HV battery or torque to the final drive. These switches to 0 resistance cause the system to jolt the drive train. This is the same reason FORM is rough as well.

Also in order to apply torque from the ICE, the hybrid system demands more powerful resistance against motor A increasing the current consumption from motor B in order to apply torque through the planetary gears and the power split device to the final drive. This is why the electrical system is 3 phase AC in the transaxle. Many can't seem to wrap their heads around this concept. This is why the vehicle is able to come to a stop at intersections with the ICE running. The system reduces resistance against motor A but allows charge sustaining mode to continue while stopped. Torque being applied to the final drive is a very precise dance of resistance against motor A. In EV mode motor A runs the opposite direction and is locked turning in sequence to the final drive with motor B expect in reverse. Motor A is not capable of reversing the vehicle at any time. All reversing is done by motor B only.

This process is sloppy and not refined. I also believe the jolting and surging are not good for transaxle life. Hopefully, they will get this figured it soon with software updates. I did not have these problems with my previous 2018. My 2021 with 5700 miles sounds like the transaxle will need to be replaced soon. It sounds like it is grinding itself to death anytime the ICE runs now. It is rather embarrassing standing outside the vehicle with the ICE running with the loud grinding sounds. Just recently I have noticed a lot of vibration inside the vehicle when stopped with the ICE running. My 2018 never had this. Highway travel with ICE is fine. Low speeds or stopped not so good anymore.

Not a big deal to me. It has a warranty if it dies.

Reactions: JamesB

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was coming home from a road trip and about 200 miles from home when my check engine light came on. At the same time I noticed that the van was switching rapidly between the gas engine and the battery. I stopped and talked to a dealer service along the way and was advised to have the car checked out when I got home. I was told that as long as the check engine light wasn't flashing that it was safe to drive. When I had the dealer check it out (after waiting 2 weeks for an appointment), I was told that the battery cooler was defective and I needed a new one. My dealers service dept said this has become a problem with Pacifica hybrids and the needed part was on back order and they didn't know when they could get the replacement part. I don't feel that the van is safe to drive but the prospect of being in a rental car for weeks or months is not very pleasant. Anyone else have this problem?
This same issue cropped up for me on my 2021 Pacifica Hybrid. The local dealership ordered the electric coolant heater. The service rep said it would take about two weeks to arrive. I hope his estimate is correct but I'm not holding my breath.

Whenever it does arrive and gets installed I will post an update here.

·
Registered
2021 PacHy Limited S, Luxury White Pearl Coat, Black 18s
32 Posts
I posted in another thread about the same. Colder weather seems to be exposing some flaw in the electric coolant heater. Code p0e15. Mine now has part ordered. Hoping to have mine back tomorrow but will still have to wait a few weeks on part. If the new part fixes it I'll be fine and live with the one- time inconvenience but I fear they might just be replacing one bad part with another.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts