2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced problems with their Stop/Start? My van has been at 2 dealerships on and off since September. Each time it has been for multiple weeks at a time. I have started a service ticket with Chrysler but feel I am going down a rabbit hole. The engineers are supposed to be looking into it. How long should some one wait for a resolution on a 2019 van with 17,000 miles on it ?
Any and all suggestions welcomed.Thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think we need a little more info. What is the issue with the start/stop? What has the dealership told you they checked? Generally if your ESS system is not working its because the Aux battery no longer has enough energy to support the electrical load while the van is off. Did they check both the Aux and Main batteries?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One dealership told me it was the "little" battery not holding a charge. So instead of replacing the battery ( because it still had enough life not to replace ) they put it on a trickle charge for days. Said to drive it and that would recharge the battery. 30 minutes after driving it away from the dealership it does the same thing. Back to the dealership we went. For yet another line of BS not knowing what to fix or repair. They replaced the "little" battery and said that the system had to reprogram itself and the only way to do this was to drive it. They put about 150-200 miles on the car trying to fix it. I then called Chrysler and took it to another dealership that has been working with Chrysler's engineers. They have replaced multiple parts with no fix. Has anyone dealt with a lemon law ?

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
413 Posts
One dealership told me it was the "little" battery not holding a charge. So instead of replacing the battery ( because it still had enough life not to replace ) they put it on a trickle charge for days. Said to drive it and that would recharge the battery. 30 minutes after driving it away from the dealership it does the same thing. Back to the dealership we went. For yet another line of BS not knowing what to fix or repair. They replaced the "little" battery and said that the system had to reprogram itself and the only way to do this was to drive it. They put about 150-200 miles on the car trying to fix it. I then called Chrysler and took it to another dealership that has been working with Chrysler's engineers. They have replaced multiple parts with no fix. Has anyone dealt with a lemon law ?
It sounds like you're having an issue related to engine stop/start (ESS), but the exact problem still isn't clear. I'm assuming the orange warning light for it is on, but what is the exact wording of the message you are seeing? Do you know which parts have been replaced? I'm guessing they've replaced the intelligent battery sensor (which doesn't affect the little auxiliary battery at all). Have they tested and/or replaced both batteries or just the aux battery? A bad main battery will drain the aux battery whenever the van is sitting with the engine off. Vice versa applies if the aux battery is bad and the main battery is good.

So far, it sounds like you have a textbook ESS/battery problem (which is very, very common), and you're dealing with incompetent dealerships. The van does need to relearn the state of charge of the aux battery after replacing it. This requires five drive cycles separated by at least four hours. The system can be reset if both batteries are disconnected, but the ESS warning/message will reappear if the root problem isn't fixed.

The fine print of the lemon law varies by location, but no matter where you live it's only applicable if you purchased the vehicle brand new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like you're having an issue related to engine stop/start (ESS), but the exact problem still isn't clear. I'm assuming the orange warning light for it is on, but what is the exact wording of the message you are seeing? Do you know which parts have been replaced? I'm guessing they've replaced the intelligent battery sensor (which doesn't affect the little auxiliary battery at all). Have they tested and/or replaced both batteries or just the aux battery? A bad main battery will drain the aux battery whenever the van is sitting with the engine off. Vice versa applies if the aux battery is bad and the main battery is good.

So far, it sounds like you have a textbook ESS/battery problem (which is very, very common), and you're dealing with incompetent dealerships. The van does need to relearn the state of charge of the aux battery after replacing it. This requires five drive cycles separated by at least four hours. The system can be reset if both batteries are disconnected, but the ESS warning/message will reappear if the root problem isn't fixed.

The fine print of the lemon law varies by location, but no matter where you live it's only applicable if you purchased the vehicle brand new.
It had 46 miles on it when I purchased it from the dealership. First car, I have every purchased BRAND NEW. Yes, the first dealership (Bachmann Chrysler , Jeffersonville Indiana Monty is the service manager), horrible customer service. The sad part about the entire situation they did not care about the crappy service. I had to call them multiple times and leave numerous messages with no response. The only time we got an answer is when we showed up at the service counter. I kept questioning them about the battery issue and kept calling BS but he insisted. Got fed up and made a claim with Chrysler. I do not know if they have reached out to that dealership or not. I would not want them representing my name with that type of customer service.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The little battery not holding a charge is BS and then trickle charging it is BS - if a battery won't hold a charge it is dead, PERIOD. The little battery (AUX battery) is known to fail quite often, and here is the kicker - when the little battery goes, it will take the big battery with it!!! They need to replace both batteries, plain and simple.

Reactions: freddief73

·
Registered
413 Posts
It had 46 miles on it when I purchased it from the dealership. First car, I have every purchased BRAND NEW. Yes, the first dealership (Bachmann Chrysler , Jeffersonville Indiana Monty is the service manager), horrible customer service. The sad part about the entire situation they did not care about the crappy service. I had to call them multiple times and leave numerous messages with no response. The only time we got an answer is when we showed up at the service counter. I kept questioning them about the battery issue and kept calling BS but he insisted. Got fed up and made a claim with Chrysler. I do not know if they have reached out to that dealership or not. I would not want them representing my name with that type of customer service.
As I eluded to before, you're definitely not the only one to have this problem, so we know how you feel. Unfortunately, there isn't much more than anyone on here can do to help you. You can try reaching out (sending a private message) to @ChryslerCares to see if they can help you. This has been a common issue since shortly after the first 2017 ESS models were sold and put into use. Some of the 2020 models are now starting to have the same problem. FCA has never officially addressed it, and was still installing the exact same crappy batteries in the 2020 ESS models as they were installing in the 2017 ESS models (which started to be assembled in late 2016).

The solution to the problem is installing a new aftermarket aux battery, and a more powerful aftermarket main battery. "Aftermarket" here means anything but the factory-installed (OEM) Mopar brand batteries that are the same size (H6 for main, AUX14 for aux) and type (both are AGM). Unfortunately, since the van is still under warranty it will be serviced at a dealership. Dealerships almost always install the same crappy Mopar batteries. This doesn't fix the problem, it just restarts the cycle until the batteries prematurely fail again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have contacted the Attorney General's office for the state of Indiana. I live in Indiana, but purchased the vehicle in Kentucky. We live 10 miles for Kentucky. When I asked the Sales side of the dealership they sent me to Service. Service said oh no, have to go to Chrysler. Great customer service. So frustrating . I thought you went with the laws that you purchased it in. Much to my surprise, it is the state in which you live. Indiana law is much better, 18,000 18 months.. Kentucky is 12,000 12 months. I am at 16,500 and 14 months. Yeah Indiana !!! We as a society pass the buck real quick. What happened to helping people. I appreciate the posts. I will continue to research and gather more evidence for the Indiana Attorney General. Sad part is I like the van, but don't feel safe when I am not sure when the engine / motor will engage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Please keep us posted as to what you find. As for Lemon law, I was told a long time ago it goes by the state you buy in. Which makes sense, I don't see how a state law can affect other states - how can Indiana force a dealer in Kentucky to do something? I'm not being argumentative, I'm just very curios about this subject ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
288 Posts
As Freddie has mentioned sadly the battery failures are becoming much too common for the Pacifica, just do a search on this site for the word "Auxiliary" lots of reading for you.

Also, as Freddie has mentioned if either of the batteries begins to fail it will take the other with it. When the van is running the batteries are separate, however when the van is shut off the auxiliary and main are electrically tied together thus they will try to reach an equilibrium where the weaker battery will draw energy from the stronger finally exhausting its reserves and you'll end up with 2 dead batteries and a van which will not start.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to the OP for these issues, what a hassle :(
And thanks to the knowledgeable guys offering all this awesome info, history and perspective!

I'm a new Pacifica owner, and I've never had a vehicle with ESS (engine stop start) before. But reading a little of this forum the last few weeks, I've certainly read about these battery problems!

My question is - what if we don't use it?
There's a convenient button to disable the ESS (or Auto Stop Start) on the instrument panel. If we use that button and turn off Stop Start most the time - will we avoid this issue?
I mean, if I don't use it... will I save the batteries... maybe they'll last longer... if they're not being used all the time to run all the lights, heated seats and HVAC, while the engine is "stopped" !!!

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sorry to the OP for these issues, what a hassle :(
And thanks to the knowledgeable guys offering all this awesome info, history and perspective!

I'm a new Pacifica owner, and I've never had a vehicle with ESS (engine stop start) before. But reading a little of this forum the last few weeks, I've certainly read about these battery problems!

My question is - what if we don't use it?
There's a convenient button to disable the ESS (or Auto Stop Start) on the instrument panel. If we use that button and turn off Stop Start most the time - will we avoid this issue?
I mean, if I don't use it... will I save the batteries... maybe they'll last longer... if they're not being used all the time to run all the lights, heated seats and HVAC, while the engine is "stopped" !!!

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this :)
I have somewhat adopted this logic as well, use it as little as possible to preserve it's capacity. I have gotten in the habit of defeating the ESS by pressing the button each time I start the van, I like to see the blue light and the hesitation of the engine restarting when the ESS system is active is just down right annoying.

While this technique may somewhat help prolong the life of the batteries I'm not sure how big of a difference it will make. The ESS system just has some basic fundamental design issues that we as owners can't fix without spending money.

The Pacifica could have been supplied with better batteries, as Freddie has pointed out the capacity of the OEM batteries are woefully inadequate for the electrical loads of the system. Additionally, there seems to be a flaw in the design with electrically connecting the two batteries when the van is off. Eventually, one battery is always going to fail before the other, when this happens it will draw the capacity from the stronger battery and eventually kill it as well. Now you have two dead batteries. If you only replace one, most likely the one you need to start the van, your main battery, the new main battery will be killed a second time by the failed auxiliary battery and the viscous cycle will repeat. That certainly will not leave you happy!

Why did they choose a AGM type battery which should not be charged with more than 14.4 volts? I wonder how many people have tried to charge their batteries with a conventional AGM type charger only to have done some damage because there are very few chargers that you can limit the voltage on. Probably not many but all these issues just keep adding up to a poorly thought out design.

I keep saying the damage that this ESS system is causing to the reliability of the Pacifica is being overlooked.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I believe I fried the stock AGM in my Harley in 2 years from using a regular battery tender. I know have a NOCO Genius 3500 with AGM mode.

If you don't use the ESS, then just unplug the PCR and disconnect the AUX battery and you'll be running on a single battery like pretty much every car in the last century or so. ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
I believe I fried the stock AGM in my Harley in 2 years from using a regular battery tender. I know have a NOCO Genius 3500 with AGM mode.

If you don't use the ESS, then just unplug the PCR and disconnect the AUX battery and you'll be running on a single battery like pretty much every car in the last century or so. ;)
This doesn't disable ESS. I know you've already made this known elsewhere, but this sentence might give newer members the impression that it does. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
This doesn't disable ESS. I know you've already made this known elsewhere, but this sentence might give newer members the impression that it does. :)
Yes, good call out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, I searched "Auxiliary" on this forum and you have me convinced that indeed I may have a battery issue with both the small and large batteries. My question is when I replace both these batteries at the same time, will the "Stop/Start !" warning light on the dashboard go away?

Galileo/Moose2019
2019 Pacifica Limited 25500 miles, 3.5 liter gas with ESS, procured new 9/22/18

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
There should still be a warranty on those.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a similar ESS warning indicator turn on in the dashboard few weeks back, got an appointment with the local dealer after waiting for a couple of weeks. I was pretty sure it was the Aux battery which was dying or dead already, but prepared myself by reading the warranty doc thoroughly and confirmed with Chrysler customer service that this was indeed covered under warranty. I was actually surprised that the dealer service folks didn't try to pull another one of those 'oh sorry, but this specific part is under warranty for only 1 year or 12k miles etc.'. They replaced the Aux battery and its all good now.
Sorry to hear about OP's bad experience with the dealership service dept. I guess one thing I learned from this thread is that Bay area does not have the exclusive rights for really crappy dealership service. Looks like its a Chrysler dealership thing rather than a Bay area exclusive. They just don't care, bad reviews, escalating this to the management, Chrysler corp., nope, nothing matters. I'm pretty sure they will 'take care' of all the problems and issues once the warranty is over and they can run up the bill. I just hope I don't have to go to the dealership ever again once the warranty is over.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
668 Posts
Okay, I searched "Auxiliary" on this forum and you have me convinced that indeed I may have a battery issue with both the small and large batteries. My question is when I replace both these batteries at the same time, will the "Stop/Start !" warning light on the dashboard go away?

Galileo/Moose2019
2019 Pacifica Limited 25500 miles, 3.5 liter gas with ESS, procured new 9/22/18
Once the batteries are replaced, and have been fully charged, the warning lights should be gone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts