2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent a lot of time reading on these forums, thanks to those who have posted. The C Pac looks like the van of choice for me, but I am weary of the reports of problems with stalling, doors, ESS, etc. Seems like most of it is software related.

Can anyone comment on the 2019 and late 2018 models with regards to problems? Did they iron out the software and bugs somewhat? Are they shifting any smoother than the earlier models? Is there still a second or two delay before the trans shifts into drive after turning the knob? Are the doors less likely to fail?

I appreciate that the number of these cars with issues is pretty small, but it seems worrisome none the less.

I really like the thread where some of you have said **** yea, we love the thing, and it has been flawless...

Thanks in advance for taking the time if you respond.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine is used, had about 12,000 on it when I got it, and it's been flawless for the one week I've been driving it to get familiar with it. I treat it like a machine with a slow cpu and have had absolutely no glitches yet. I'm a retire electrician and have worked around some industrial process equipment and used personal computers with slow processors. This thing is loaded with processors and buses and it's a minivan not a sports car. Once the cluster says "ready to drive" and not before, it acts exactly like a peppy minivan. I'm very pleased with mine.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I bought mine new, have had Zero issues, but haven't put a lot of miles on it. Coming on 2 years - never been back to dealer - changed oil myself.
I just want to comment that I have been on many car forums, and all of them deal with problems. People don't join a forum to say 'everything is fine' - they come when they have a question or problem.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have an early build 2018 which I purchased in May 2018 - it sat on the dealers lot for quite a few months. It’s a Touring L with a few options. I have 22K miles on it, so not high but it does get driven regularly.

I am very pleased with it - it is smooth, quiet, comfortable, useful, efficient. It does many things very well.

Really I have had no problems with it. It always starts, drives fine, etc. It has been to the dealership twice in two years, both times to have recalls addressed. I never had any symptoms or problems associated with the recalls, so the service visits were done when I finally got around to it many months after receiving notice.

Sum total of my problems: ESS is mostly in ”battery charging” and mostly doesn’t operate. Small battery replaced at 2nd dealer visit but I think main battery is also a bit weak. Van always starts even after sitting 30 days while I travel so don’t really care. Uconnect has been slow to boot up (30 seconds) a couple of times. Sliding doors would very occasionally reverse. Fixed by software update at 2nd dealer visit.

Addressing your specific concerns. The engine stalling was mostly a software bug in the engine computer in 2017 model year vans. It was addressed long ago. I can’t remember the last time someone on the forum posted about engine stall issues. The transmission appears to be fine as well, based on lack of complaints. We still see a few from owners of 2017 model years, but you really don’t find many in later years. I have never experienced any hard shifting in my van. That said it’s not the most seamless transmission I have ever driven, once in a while you can feel a gear change. It’s not objectionable in any way, just not completely seamless. The sliding doors are completely fixed based on my experience.

I would not hesitate to buy another. This is my first Chrysler product, having mostly driven Mercedes-Benz products for the prior 25 years.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My early 2018 has been mechanically flawless, including the transmission. There were a couple of known software issues, now fixed. When my lease is up, I expect to happily get a 2021 model.

Just be sure you find a four or five star dealer. Chrysler has put up with "old school" crappy dealers for too long.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My wife and I were just talking about this yesterday and we all piled into the Pacifica for an outing (been a while since we'd done that with the shutdowns), how much we like the van as a vehicle and how unfortunate it is that we've had so many problems (latest one, now the windshield washer no longer works, I was about to get the oil changed this week and was thinking to myself this is the first time I've gotten the oil changed without a list of issued for the dealer to address...spoke too soon).

Our lease is up in November...vanwise there isn't anything else that checks all the boxes (Sienna reveal is Monday but its going to be hybrid only, I hate hybrids). My wife doesn't want to move to a crossover yet because our kids are still young. So...I don't know what to do. I'm tempted to lease a 2020 and hope they have addressed the quality issues. I'd love to have AWD, and I'd love to have the 2021 refresh but I would be concerned about getting an early example of a new Chrysler AWD system and a refresh 2021 full of new electronics.

So, if you're going to get a Pacifica and roll the dice on quality, which I understand the desire there, I would get as new a Pacifica as you can. I have noticed that as more members here have newer ones vs 2017s the postings about problems seem to have improved.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Our lease is up in November...vanwise there isn't anything else that checks all the boxes (Sienna reveal is Monday but its going to be hybrid only, I hate hybrids). My wife doesn't want to move to a crossover yet because our kids are still young. So...I don't know what to do. I'm tempted to lease a 2020 and hope they have addressed the quality issues. I'd love to have AWD, and I'd love to have the 2021 refresh but I would be concerned about getting an early example of a new Chrysler AWD system and a refresh 2021 full of new electronics.

So, if you're going to get a Pacifica and roll the dice on quality, which I understand the desire there, I would get as new a Pacifica as you can. I have noticed that as more members here have newer ones vs 2017s the postings about problems seem to have improved.
I'd not worry about the new electronics. It is based on Google's Android, and it is going to be fully OTA updateable. The individual vehicle system control modules are unlikely to be new.

As to AWD, maybe that's a little riskier. Theoretically, when the plant opens in a few days, they will start building AWD 2020 models, but who knows if that shakeout will be enough to debug it completely. I did read that they built some AWD's for in-house use by employees for testing.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Eh, I've had too many bad experiences with new Chrysler products not to be worried about the electronics. Especially sine freezing infotainment has been one of the biggest issues with mine.

Plus, deals on the 2020s right now are just silly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No problems mechanically. Bought last May and have 14,000 miles and a couple road trips on it.

I wish it came with a spare tire, which you can get after market but still, doing road trips you want one cause that inflator kit won’t save you in the middle of nowhere with a shredded tire.

Also wish there was a set of roof rack rails that held more than 150lbs. That’s probably my biggest gripe. I would have boughT tow package Had I known how limited the roof racks were.

I have touring plus model.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought a 2018 in Sept. 2018. It had been built about a year earlier. I've had zero problems. I bought an LX because I consider fancy features like electric doors a liability. You have to wait for them to open when you can open them quicker with very little effort manually. The more technology you get the more can go wrong. I did lose the engine off when you stop feature. Probably a bad battery. I haven't done anything about it because I never like the feature and consider it not working and improvement. In fact my main complaint about the van was that you couldn't turn it off permanently. Now it's off. There is a slight pause when I put it into reverse first thing in the morning. Never considered it a problem, that's just electronics versus mechanical linkage. Most electronic devises have to stop and think a bit before they act. Love my LX! It has stow and go seats, alloy wheels, power driver's seat and they threw in a nice basic safety package which saves me from all the deficiencies I have as older man: back-up camera and alarm, cross traffic, blind spot monitoring. I covered for all the things that have nearly caused accidents in the past. Consider going without some of the fancy stuff and saving yourself some headaches. I guess the LX will be called a Voyager instead of Pacifica next year. A rose by any other name smells as sweet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've spent a lot of time reading on these forums, thanks to those who have posted. The C Pac looks like the van of choice for me, but I am weary of the reports of problems with stalling, doors, ESS, etc. Seems like most of it is software related.
Purchased a 2018 Pacifica Limited very late in the year when Chrysler was trying to move them off the dealer lots at Christmas time. The van has never been back to the dealer except for a recall repair on the battery cable for free. The van has been to both coasts for road trips from Illinois and now has about 15,000 miles on it. No problems. I have done the oil changes myself and it was easy. I have done a few modifications to the power outlets and cell phone rechargers, and removed the vacuum cleaner to replace with a spare tire for personal preferences. I read about all the problems online, but most appear to be with the hybrid.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Can anyone comment on the 2019 and late 2018 models with regards to problems? Did they iron out the software and bugs somewhat? Are they shifting any smoother than the earlier models? Is there still a second or two delay before the trans shifts into drive after turning the knob? Are the doors less likely to fail?

I appreciate that the number of these cars with issues is pretty small, but it seems worrisome none the less.

I really like the thread where some of you have said **** yea, we love the thing, and it has been flawless...

Thanks in advance for taking the time if you respond.
We bought a 2018 new hybrid Pacifica Limited in December 2018. I bought an extended warranty from the credit union because was weary of an American car after years of Toyotas. Was a waste! We have over 20,000 miles and not a single problem with anything, including all the bells and whistles. May be lucky, but seems to be extremely well made.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I paid off my early (bought in Feb) 2018 last week! Touring L Plus.

The software is a little buggy but bearable and functional. The file management, type it will use, and other computer based aspects leave a LOT to be desired, but they work. A great example is play a movie via USB and shut the car off. Turn it back on and the Theater is frozen for a few minutes. Or maybe just a minute. Its inconsistent. BUT it does come back and work. Thats the type of stuff it does.

I wouldn't buy one with the electric 3rd seat- one of the reasons I didn't buy a Limited. The other was advanced safety tech. No thanks LOL. But people will say I'm nuts I'm sure... But I never use cruise control either.

The ESS system has a serious battery issue- as in TONS go bad. Will that happen with 2019s? It took mine 2 years to fail completely... covered under warranty. That said, I LOVE ESS. I didn't at first, and don't let any nitwits tell you it saves gas money (its just a scam to get a higher MPG score as its regulated)... but I love it now. Sitting at a light with music playing is wayyyyyyyy nicer... But you do have to learn to drive it. Using the brake pressure and realizing if you slow down, it may kick in, so beware of delays to acceleration if it cuts out right as you place your foot on the gas...

I am experiencing the steering wheel shimmy and not only at extreme turning... but it will shake at times slightly. And not in a NORMAL way, its not right.

BUT, I love the car. The use the theater everyday as I eat lunch, The stow n go has been perfect, the car runs great. Its fun to drive, super comfortable, just great! I got hands free doors only because the one I wanted had it- LOVE IT. Works flawlessly- though many have issues because they don't realize how to trigger it. 5 minutes and the manual and it works LITERALLY 99% of the time- 1% is user error every time...

I got the theater because you had to for the panoramic moon roof (Touring L Plus model). Love that too. I use it a ton and even pulled over in heavy traffic, sat in the back and had dinner and a movie LOL I bought the motion defeat to allow movies on the front screen while driving (no idea why they punish the front seat passenger...).

The only thing though is I'm not sure how I would feel if I didn't have the lifetime warranty. For 2600 it was a no brainer as I want to keep it for 10-15 years at least... My Toyota made it 15 years but started having serious issues.

But as is, with the warranty, I couldn't be happier! Especially after seeing the hideous thing Toyota built LOL... I was a Toyota guy but the Sienna is just fugly now- inside and out. And the Honda's not much better...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been on here posting a few issues. Overall, happy with the van. It's all about your dealer. If you have one that stands behind the product the issues that pop up (if they do) aren't that bad. Granted, I have been hyper aware as I bought used and wanted to use the warranty to fix anything that could cost $$ down the line.

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
860 Posts
Have to echo @yomanwill. Dealer, Dealer, Dealer. That is also a caution about going out of town to save some $$. My dealer's service area gets overloaded, but my salesman takes care of it if needed -- the advantage of being a long time customer and I see some evidence of dealer priorities surfacing in some threads with owners who bought vans long distance and then had problems.

The only issue with my dealer seems to be is when they have to wait for Chrysler to come back to them - they shift the van out and then they don't always get it back onto a lift quickly due to shop overload. My two issues on my 2017 (dead battery and intermittent A/C [clutch failure]) got dragged out by that, otherwise over 3 years no other significant problems. Now have a 2020 but thanks to Coronavirus travel limits (can't go to the grandkids,) only have 1K miles in 2 1/2 months. As the cartoon says, "anyone else getting 3 days to the gallon?"

W.R.T. price -- I don't know your location, but Reedmantoll.com near Philadelphia is advertising $6,000 off sticker. I used that to bring my price down with my dealer.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts