2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I haven't seen it but I think I've read that can happen when the battery in the key fob is getting low.
That happened to my other cars. It seems like the fob goes into "sleep" mode to conserve battery either because it's running low, or you haven't used the car in a while with that key.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've also experienced this when the FOB battery is low.

If you replace the batteries, pay close attention to their polarity when you take out the old ones. Drove myself nuts trying to change my wife's batteries when I didn't.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've also experienced this when the FOB battery is low.

If you replace the batteries, pay close attention to their polarity when you take out the old ones. Drove myself nuts trying to change my wife's batteries when I didn't.
Hmmmmm. My key fob is working just fine. In fact, I can unlock the car using the fob at a distance of at least 80 yards. You’d think this would be happening more often if the battery is low but it’s only happened twice in the last two months.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I started getting this while out of town, and the fob was very unpredictable... sometimes unlocking the car just fine and starting right up, sometimes not. I replaced the batteries and haven't had it happen since.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Ok. I’m going to wait until this happens one more time and then I’ll replace the battery.
If you get a new fob battery and put it in the drawer, you will have it available to change when needed.

I would change the fob battery now since you live in a cold climate and some members have commented on the cold weather and the fob battery not lasting a year. If you change the fob battery and the problem still exists then you may want to make an appointment with the dealer.

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/474-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-issues-problems/27722-fob-doesnt-work-when-cold.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/193-2017-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-general-discussion/41695-2018-pacifica-would-not-start.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools

·
Registered
811 Posts
There have been similar threads.

You should be aware that AFAIK, the fob has two independent functions.

The buttons for door lock/unlock, remote start, etc., are what I characterize as "on demand" features and the signal can travel hundreds of feet.

The other circuit is constantly on and allows the van to let you unlock it by touching the doorhandles when you are close to it and recognizes that the fob is inside the van and allows you to start the engine.

I would keep a name brand battery handy.

If the issue repeats with a fresh battery, you may have an issue with the fob's local field circuit and need to replace the fob.

If it happens with both fobs, the problem may be with the van's detection circuit or it may be more complicated.....

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There have been similar threads.

You should be aware that AFAIK, the fob has two independent functions.

The buttons for door lock/unlock, remote start, etc., are what I characterize as "on demand" features and the signal can travel hundreds of feet.

The other circuit is constantly on and allows the van to let you unlock it by touching the doorhandles when you are close to it and recognizes that the fob is inside the van and allows you to start the engine.

I would keep a name brand battery handy.

If the issue repeats with a fresh battery, you may have an issue with the fob's local field circuit and need to replace the fob.

If it happens with both fobs, the problem may be with the van's detection circuit or it may be more complicated.....
So you’re saying that the van’s ability to detect the key fob is an active circuit in the key fob and not a passive one like RFID, right?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, this has happened to me twice. Both times early in the morning and damp/cold (in the lower 40s) outside. I had to did the key out to open the van and put the key fob up to ignition. Also had problems locking with key fob from house which is one story above van which is parked in uphill driveway. Sometimes the doors won't open when I am in garage only 15-20 feet away and fob is supposed to work up to 60 feet away.
Dealer checked boy key fobs and their batteries are fine-I had changed one. I also have problems with cell phone coverage at nig so have to use the internet for decent coverage. So I don't know if I am in some hole where the key decides it doesn't want to transmit?

I did remove the metal snap that I had on the ring of the fob and replaced with a plastic carabiner with just a slim amount of metal. But the fob without the snap was acting the same way, I would have to go to the van and lock it using the door locks!

Been working fine for the last few weeks-who knows?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Happens to me when the fob gets cold, I'm guessing that reduce the battery voltage so the fobs enters sleep mode. My car is only a year old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts