2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to determine which trim level I need in a Pacifica Hybrid. I'm on a tight budget, and am fine with cloth seats, no dvd players, and without the techy stuff. My top priority however is safety, most specifically the rearview camera and brake assist. It looks like they have more safety features in the Safetytec package, but only on the Limited trim level which is probably out of my price range.

I think there is some version of rear view camera and Brake assist included in the touring models? If so, what do I really need the safetytec package? I don't care too much about parking assist or even rear cross path, even though those would be nice to have. Is active braking different from brake assist?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Below the Limited, all you get is cross-path detection and blind spot monitoring.

Advanced Safety Tech is an option on the Limited. AST is what gets you the collision-avoidance brake assist. It’s the same sensor that is used for adaptive cruise control.

If the Limited is out of your price range, I’d wait a month and see what the 2020 model year brings. These sorts of safety packages are starting to become mainstream, so Chrysler may make it an option on the lower trims.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The base model does have a back-up camera. The advanced safety tech (only available on Limited in hybrid) adds a 360 degree camera, as well as the Forward Collision Warning with active braking assist and Adaptive Cruise Control.

I must say, the way Chrysler handles its safety was almost a deal breaker for me. Safety technology like braking assist is standard on the Sienna and available on lower trims on the Odyssey. When buying a family vehicle, safety features are a top consideration and it is shameful that Chrysler made their safety an option only for higher trims. Personally, I would not buy a car without the AST package. In 2022, active braking assist will be a standard feature on cars made by all major manufacturers, including Chrysler. That's going to destroy the value of any car that doesn't have the technology. You wouldn't buy a used that doesn't have seat belts, and in 3 years nobody will want a used car that doesn't have braking assist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. It seems like the SafetyTec group is a must have. Unfortunately that might push this car out of my price range. :(

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don’t think it reasonable to compare feature content of the Chrysler PHEV to other makers petrol minivans. The production cost is totally different and you don’t know what those makers would offer on their plug in hybrid vans because they don’t build such a thing. If you compare like for like, the advanced safety tech package is offered on the petrol Pacifica in the Limited, Touring L Plus, Touring L, and Touring Plus trim levels. The Touring Plus can be had with AST at a sticker price in the middle $30s range, which should translate to a selling price before TTL in the very low 30s. This compare quite favorably to the lowest trim level Odyssey (EX) which includes The Honda Sensing package.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's true, and I WISH the other manufacturers had hybrid minivan offerings. I think within a few years they will

But on a practical level I'm not trying to make an apples-to-apples comparison. Since I'm considering those safety features a requirement, I have options such as:

- Pacifica Hybrid Limited at 42k (35k after tax credit)
- Pacifica Gas/Petrol Only Limited for 40k
- Sienna at 29,500
- Odyssey at 31k

If I could get those safety features on the Touring version of the Pacifica, this would be a no brainer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It seems like the SafetyTec group is a must have. Unfortunately that might push this car out of my price range. :(

Have you checked around for used 2018 PacHys Limiteds that may be used? You might find what you need at a better price. Autotrader is showing a few 2018 Limiteds in my area (NYC/Long Island/ NJ) with low mileage and prices well below the new ones (gas or hybrid) you may be shopping; you should check near you. {Jonathan}

·
Registered
712 Posts
That's true, and I WISH the other manufacturers had hybrid minivan offerings. I think within a few years they will

But on a practical level I'm not trying to make an apples-to-apples comparison. Since I'm considering those safety features a requirement, I have options such as:

- Pacifica Hybrid Limited at 42k (35k after tax credit)
- Pacifica Gas/Petrol Only Limited for 40k
- Sienna at 29,500
- Odyssey at 31k

If I could get those safety features on the Touring version of the Pacifica, this would be a no brainer.
Try to also factor in the long-term savings with the hybrid. We've been filling up every 5 weeks instead of every 5 days and it should be even better in the summer. Of course that's offset with increased electricity but we charge on nights/weekends when it's cheaper. Our electric bill has actually been lower since we also went gung-ho on new appliances, lightbulbs, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I didn't realize that you could get AST on a lower trim Pacifica gas.

I'm a little prejudiced towards Chrysler's reputation for reliability however. I know that will be an unpopular opinion in this board, and I'm very open to being convinced otherwise (links?). But if I'm going traditional gas I think I'd prefer honda or toyota. I'd only consider a chrysler because the mileage is so good on the hybrid.

*ducks down and plugs ears*

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think you’ll find more Pacifica fans than Chrysler fans here, though there is a good balance with those that are critical of both. I don’t imagine anyone would give you grief for whatever choice happens to be the best for you. I’ve found this to be a very positive and helpful community.

My own experience is in owning a 2008 Town and Country for a decade, and now my PacHy. My T&C was outstanding in terms of reliability. I’m not sure I’d have gotten a new van just yet if the PacHy didn’t exist.

All of the minivans have unique features. For me, the PacHy is the best combination. I do miss the Stow’n’Go seats. Those are an outstanding feature that adds so much versatility. The hybrid won me over, though.

·
Registered
193 Posts

I'm a little prejudiced towards Chrysler's reputation for reliability however. I know that will be an unpopular opinion in this board, and I'm very open to being convinced otherwise (links?). But if I'm going traditional gas I think I'd prefer honda or toyota. I'd only consider a chrysler because the mileage is so good on the hybrid.

That’s not unreasonable. Right now Consumer Reports says the Odyssey and Pacifica are about equal on reliability — and isn't totally enthused about either. The Sienna is better, but I’d point out that it’s crash scores are materially worse than either the Honda or Chrysler, so I never considered it and suggest you do the same.

In the gas Pacifica it is possible to get AST in lower trims. I have a 2018 Touring L with AST and the premium audio options. It’s roughly comparable to the Odyssey EXL but with a much better audio system, a more adjustable power passenger seat than the Ody Elite, but no sunroof (a plus IMHO) and lacking memory seats (would be nice). I bought it a year ago almost to the day, so things have surely changed, but it was $30,750 after rebates and before taxes, title, etc. I find it to be a compelling value at that price.

I do expect the Odyssey will depreciate less and be less expensive to own over time as a result, even though the Chrysler is less expensive to purchase up front.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts

There is nothing here for you to duck down and plug ears. Cause many of us here are / were also like you. I never had a Chrysler (not even any American brand car for that matter) before. I was (still am) a Honda / Acura guy. For obvious reasons I found the Pacifica to be superior to Odyssey in quality/ price/ features and ride / luxury feel. After much deliberation I bought the Pacifica (against wishes and warnings from family and friends) and a year and half later I couldn’t be happier. I bought the gas limited BTW. I know about the less than stellar reliability of Chrysler compared to its Japanese competition and the lesser resale prices, still I rolled the dice.
In your situation a Gas Pacifica Touring plus with AST package seems practical for you (if you can get over your mental barriers). Anything less than that I would prefer Odyssey since it has all the safety features standard for most of the range.
Why don’t you test drive all three cars and make your own decision. We’ll definitely help you if you have any questions along the way. As someone mentioned, this is not a Chrysler fanboy forum, although Pacifica has earned many fans. :D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
That’s not unreasonable. Right now Consumer Reports says the Odyssey and Pacifica are about equal on reliability — and isn't totally enthused about either. The Sienna is better, but I’d point out that it’s crash scores are materially worse than either the Honda or Chrysler, so I never considered it and suggest you do the same.

In the gas Pacifica it is possible to get AST in lower trims. I have a 2018 Touring L with AST and the premium audio options. It’s roughly comparable to the Odyssey EXL but with a much better audio system, a more adjustable power passenger seat than the Ody Elite, but no sunroof (a plus IMHO) and lacking memory seats (would be nice). I bought it a year ago almost to the day, so things have surely changed, but it was $30,750 after rebates and before taxes, title, etc. I find it to be a compelling value at that price.

I do expect the Odyssey will depreciate less and be less expensive to own over time as a result, even though the Chrysler is less expensive to purchase up front.
It's not hard to see why CR likes the Sienna as the best minivan. If reliability and AWD availability are the primary critieria, the Sienna wins. I'm going to guess that the Sienna is also tow-capable. Otherwise, it's pretty lackluster compared to the competition. But the same can be said for just about all Toyota products.

LIkewise, fuel economy is the overriding benefit of the PacHy. You give up some features, but you gain a lot in not having to buy gas. If Toyota came out with a hybrid version of the Sienna, it'd put a big dent in PacHy sales.

After that, it's pretty much a toss-up between the gas Pacifica and Odyssey. I'd probably take the lowest trim Pacifica where I could get AST. I've had one Honda, a new '85 Accord sedan where the brake rotors warped at 10k miles, the dealer wouldn't replace them under warranty, and that was it. From what I've read, Hondas haven't changed much since then, and the automatic transmissions seem to have issues, as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is nothing here for you to duck down and plug ears. Cause many of us here are / were also like you. I never had a Chrysler (not even any American brand car for that matter) before. I was (still am) a Honda / Acura guy. For obvious reasons I found the Pacifica to be superior to Odyssey in quality/ price/ features and ride / luxury feel. After much deliberation I bought the Pacifica (against wishes and warnings from family and friends) and a year and half later I couldn’t be happier. I bought the gas limited BTW. I know about the less than stellar reliability of Chrysler compared to its Japanese competition and the lesser resale prices, still I rolled the dice.
In your situation a Gas Pacifica Touring plus with AST package seems practical for you (if you can get over your mental barriers). Anything less than that I would prefer Odyssey since it has all the safety features standard for most of the range.
Why don’t you test drive all three cars and make your own decision. We’ll definitely help you if you have any questions along the way. As someone mentioned, this is not a Chrysler fanboy forum, although Pacifica has earned many fans. :D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Similar story.
Bought the PacHy just for the technology, never owned a Chrysler before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm on my 4th Chrysler minivan (3 T&C, and now a 2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus), and have had no major issues. IMHO, unless you plan to keep the car a really long time, you may not break even over the life of the car. I looked at the Toyota and Honda vans, and the quality of the interior, along with the ASP convinced me.
If the safety package is a must have, I'd go with the gasser.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts