2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we bought our Pac in 2018 the destination charge was $1095. A month or two later the charge went up $250 to $1345. Now it is $1495. Could this be in any way be related to the fact that the vehicle is built in Canada and the value of the Loonie is now at a big discount to the Greenback (as it pertains to transportation charges), or is it just the way the industry is behaving these days? Or maybe something else entirely?

·
Registered
244 Posts
The location really has noting to do with currency exchange as much as it has to do with the cost associated with the shipping fees . Manufacturers keep having to ship vehicles from a outside company and they have contracts associated with costs . Ultimately like anything it’s the consumer who must pay for it ., Remember when gas 8 months ago was how much a gallon.. lol...like anything in life the price keeps inching upwards .

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. Well, okay, I get that some costs have gone up, but does that really explain why the destination charge increased 36% in less than fifteen months? Scratching (my balding) head...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Probably same reason that price increases every year moving forward from a 2018 to 2019 to 2020 . Don’t believe the hype about more equipment as that’s just smoke and mirrors . The fact is that dollars and cents as up to the bottom line . The companies use the same equipment on all the lines and the costs are spread out to make the parts cheaper and cheaper ( part sharing ) . The real question would be how much profit do you think they make on a ehybrid vs a ice one . I bet that the profit margin is break even if not a loss for the ehybrid. Price out a 18 vs 19 and see the price increase for the same vehicle . So really any avenue to make more $ is looked at to expand their bottom line .

·
Registered
203 Posts
I find that the base costs for vehicles increase more often than destination charges.

A few years ago there was a slump in Caravan sales. Allocation was restricted as I think they were money losers while the Canadian dollar was poor and aluminum tariffs fell out of the sky. Shortly after there was a huge sale on Ram 1500 aluminium Sport hoods for Canada only.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Do we really think that they were money losers . The caravan has paid itself off wins ago and it’s just filling their pockets with $$$$$. The R&D and tooling and plant has made it just a cash cow , why do you think cars like caravan and older style ram ( classic ) solder on. These units pay for the new models and whatever price they sell them for, could almost sell them for free, it’s just plain old pure profit . What do we really think it costs to ship these cars to their destinations ? I’d probably guess the corporations pay a couple hundred bucks for every car .

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you were to actually find out why, what could do with that information?
Have been thinking of buying another one (for me). If the explanation had to do with forex, I'd consider waiting for the Loonie to become more equatable before buying a new one, but it doesn't sound like that is the case, so will consider shopping used (mid-2018 and up) and let someone else pay the destination charge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
PacificaMinivanFan
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing