2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is turning into one of those stories where it spends more time in the shop than in my hands. And yet, I still love the **** thing. Anyway I digress.

My latest weirdness is a random noise on braking. Anyone else experience this one:
  • Occurs only from the front driver side wheel.
  • Occurs maybe once or twice an hour of city driving
  • braking always feels normal. no brake loss before, during, or after the sound.
  • sounds like a gear binding up.
  • the noise seems to occur during the transition from regenerative braking to mechanical braking. IE: you only hear it when the car is around 5mph or less, and the noise will stop before the van comes to a complete stop.
  • It is loud enough that my 2 yr old asked me "what is that?" from the back seat.
  • I've no data regarding pressure applied to the braking system related to the noise. I've usually no reason to brake "hard" and all cases (so far) have occurred under "gentle" pressures.
I've had the entire hybrid drive train replaced under warranty and wonder if something to do with all that mechanical work has something to do with this weirdness. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have what I believe is the same sound on my front passenger side. Exactly the same symptoms - mine has done this since I drove it off the dealer lot. I always assumed it was just a mechanical noise associated with the transition between regen and friction brakes. If you end up having a dealer look at it, let me know if there is a resolution!

·
Registered
808 Posts
So is the noise consistent during same braking speed , what happens if you take foot off gas and don’t brake and just slow ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The noise is pretty short lived. Lasts a second or two. I've not thought to lift off the brake to see if it cuts out in the middle or not. As for not braking and just rolling to a stop. Nope, not tried that. Probably can't since this only happens once every 60 braking events. If it was consistent I'd try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is a distinct 'creaking' sound that occurs during the last bit of deceleration from, say, 5mph to 0mph. It seems more pronounced in cold weather. If I traveling at 25mph and apply light brakes, normal regen whine occurs down to about 5mph, then a mechanical creeeeaak (only while brakes are applied) down to 0.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts