2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Interesting as I just rented a Pacifica and was slightly above the max cargo capacity. I found the transmission to struggle at low speeds, but it was fine at highway speeds.
Weird. I thought it behaved extremely well at any speed... though I mainly drove highway through the Rockies. In fact, when I first tested towing a car on a 2-wheel dolly, I had forgot to unset the e-brake on the car. I didn't even notice it was leaving two trails of shredded rubber until I stopped a block later! (Yes, I had to replace the rear tires on that car). :crying::laugh:

What were you towing (trailer+cargo)? Just wondering if you were more than slightly above max...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Weird. I thought it behaved extremely well at any speed. In fact, when I first tested towing a car on a 2-wheel dolly, I had forgot to unset the e-brake on the car. I didn't even notice it was leaving two trails of shredded rubber until I stopped a block later! (Yes, it was an expensive mistake). :crying::laugh:

What were you towing (trailer+cargo)? Just wondering if you were more than slightly above max...
This was without the trailer. I have never had any issues here on the east coast with my personal pacifica and trailer.

However, I just vacationed out west in a rental Pacifica which was over the max cargo capacity (though by at most 100 lbs) and the transmission just did not know what to do at low speeds, on inclines, at altitude. In normal it would not downshift fast enough and in Low it would not upshift fast enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oaky, I have looked at all the replies and questions here but I have to ask directly:

I have a 2017 Pacifica WITHOUT the towing package.
The Trailer I am looking at is:

Dry Weight 4,135
Hitch Weight 499
Payload Cap 3326

Of course the dealer says I can tow this.

What is the real truth?

Dave

·
Registered
332 Posts
Oaky, I have looked at all the replies and questions here but I have to ask directly:

Dry Weight 4,135
Hitch Weight 499
Payload Cap 3326

What is the real truth?

Dave

FCA specifies 1500 lbs max towing capacity if not equipped with factory tow package. Given the factory tow package ups the trailer weight to 3600lbs but adds nothing to beef up the suspension and only a relatively small increase in cooling capacity, one could argue that even without the factory tow package, your Pacifica should be okay pulling 3600 lbs. BUT, the trailer you are looking at weighs 4135 dry. This far exceeds the Pacifica's capability as does the tongue weight. Maybe the trailer dealer can explain why he/she thinks it is suitable for your Pacifica.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Dry Weight 4,135
Hitch Weight 499
Payload Cap 3326

Sure you can tow it, but it's beyond what the Pacifica is designed to handle, would void any warranty work Chrysler might be asked to do, and is potentially dangerous.

However, if you want to give yourself some ammunition if you decide you want to trust the dealer you could ask for it in writing with the general manager's signature. If the dealer won't give it then you have your answer.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Dry Weight 4,135
Hitch Weight 499
Payload Cap 3326

What is the real truth?

Dave
The Pacifica engine is rated to 6200 lbs in the Dodge Durango and its the same engine so the V6 can more then handle that load. I can not comment on the transmission but it could likely handle it too.

No way the Pacifica suspension can handle that tongue weight though. You would be dragging the hitch on the ground.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Generally speaking, if you have to ask if you can tow something of a certain weight and you already know it exceeds the factory towing capacity of the vehicle, the answer is "no." But, generally speaking, that isn't the answer most folks who ask the question want to hear. I guess there's only one way to find out, and that is to buy and install a hitch and wiring and actually try it. Let's hope your Pacifica, as well as other motorists, aren't affected by your decision if you are wrong. Let us know how it goes. :wink2:

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
20 Participants
PacificaMinivanFan
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing