2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited. We got it purely for the better gas mileage back in Oct 2018. I'd say over course of first year, we never averaged the 32mpg estimated amount and consistently got in the 27-28 range.

We don't have access to a great charging outlet so often are unable to charge up the vehicle. That being said, I've always understood it to work like a Prius when the battery is at 0%. One should be getting 32mpg as advertised in pure hybrid mode.

5mpg differential is disappointing but I was okay with it since we were getting significantly better mileage than the gas model.

Over the last 2-3 months, mileage has tanked. I'm now averaging 18.5mpg. I've had the car at the dealer for 1.5 weeks and they were not able to figure anything out and awaited a response from Chrysler. Chrysler proceeded to tell them that if the battery is not charged, then mileage will go down and that the 18.5mpg is to be expected.

Has ANYONE else run into this problem? This, to me, is a total sham. The vehicle, even when battery is at 0%, should yield a MPG rating of 32mpg b/c it's a hybrid drivetrain.

I've about had it with my dealer and am wondering how best to properly escalate the issue.

Any insight folks have would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How are you calculating your mileage? If it's from the van display, I have found it is typically lower than reality. Miles driven divided by fuel added its much more accurate if you're not charging. As far as the recent drop, 18.5 seems low, but you should expect a relatively significant drop in gas mileage when it gets cold. This is especially true if you remote start your car or take a lot of short trips.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
I use an app on my phone called Road Trip. Been tracking my mileage one way or another since I started driving, first with little notebooks and then using a Palm Pilot way back when. There are lots of little insights you get by doing this. They're real, hard numbers as opposed to the fuzziness of a car's MPG display. Takes just a moment to do at each fill-up.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've got a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited. We got it purely for the better gas mileage back in Oct 2018. I'd say over course of first year, we never averaged the 32mpg estimated amount and consistently got in the 27-28 range.

We don't have access to a great charging outlet so often are unable to charge up the vehicle. That being said, I've always understood it to work like a Prius when the battery is at 0%. One should be getting 32mpg as advertised in pure hybrid mode.

5mpg differential is disappointing but I was okay with it since we were getting significantly better mileage than the gas model.

Over the last 2-3 months, mileage has tanked. I'm now averaging 18.5mpg. I've had the car at the dealer for 1.5 weeks and they were not able to figure anything out and awaited a response from Chrysler. Chrysler proceeded to tell them that if the battery is not charged, then mileage will go down and that the 18.5mpg is to be expected.

Has ANYONE else run into this problem? This, to me, is a total sham. The vehicle, even when battery is at 0%, should yield a MPG rating of 32mpg b/c it's a hybrid drivetrain.

I've about had it with my dealer and am wondering how best to properly escalate the issue.

I noticed your handle is snom4n. Is it possible you live in a pretty cold climate? Are there times when you’re sitting in the car not moving for periods of time?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I kept a little notebook also for over 35 years. I also found it insightful. However, since buying the PacHy, I have not found a way to record mileage that made sense, so I gave up.
I do track my mileage and compare miles/gas vs the display when I take longer road trips. The display seems fairly accurate.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Chrysler overestimated the combined mpg for the 17-18 model years. They decreased it to 30 mpg for 19-20. The engine has to warm up to operate efficiently. If you have short trips less than 10-15 minutes, your mpg will be below 30 mpg.

Your use case is rare and cannot expect it to work the same as a Prius. In theory it should work that way, but maybe Chrysler prioritized EV optimization over HV. I wonder if not having it plugged in might have decreased the battery buffer to below a threshold so the ICE has be on constantly to charge the battery?

I just tested today what happens when driving with 0% and outside temperature was 45F and themostat was set to 70F. My mpgs were below 20 for the first 10 minutes and climbed up to 30 by the end of a 50 minute trip. I tried to maintain an average mph of 70.

·
Registered
28 Posts
usually all cars/vans gets best mileage when its driven between 50-60 mph, the moment the speed goes over 70 the mileage goes down. Also city driving on hybrid for me, came to around 27-28 MPG. while on highway its giving me 33-34 MPG. mpg is low during these days due to old weather.
18.5 seems to be really low, lower than a gas model.

·
Registered
9 Posts

This is not a Prius and does not work like it. This car weighs about 50% more than a Prius. A Prius runs on battery and the motor assist and charges the battery. The Pacifica PHEV runs on the battery totally for about the first 30 miles depending on temp and how you drive. It then switches to full gas. The only battery charge you get while driving is from the regenerative braking. On long down grades or when pressing the brakes some charging occurred. You must have not done your technical home work prior to purchase.
The Pacific PHEV work well for a lot of short driving around town shopping or going to and from work. That is your 1 way distance is less than 12 miles from your charger. If you do not have a home charger you have screwed up. A dead battery is just extra weight to carry around.
In my case my 2018 Pacifica PHEV showed an mileage average of 62 miles per gal today. Phoenix is mostly flat but does get hot in summer. The travel range is mostly under 12 miles 1 way . I put in a home charger connected to my electric range circuit. I Never charge car and use range And the charge timing is set for later in evening. When I travel I do not worry about a charge unless it is really handy. Finding charge stations on the road is not great or handy. Sometimes the cost of a charge is more than gas for 30 miles. The gas mileage of a PHEV when not charging the battery would probably less than a Pacifica non PHEV, about 18 to 22 mpg.
If your usage does not match what I stated consider selling it and buying a Leaf or other higher capacity PHEV.

·
Registered
629 Posts
This is not a Prius and does not work like it. This car weighs about 50% more than a Prius. A Prius runs on battery and the motor assist and charges the battery. The Pacifica PHEV runs on the battery totally for about the first 30 miles depending on temp and how you drive. It then switches to full gas. The only battery charge you get while driving is from the regenerative braking. On long down grades or when pressing the brakes some charging occurred. You must have not done your technical home work prior to purchase.
The Pacific PHEV work well for a lot of short driving around town shopping or going to and from work. That is your 1 way distance is less than 12 miles from your charger. If you do not have a home charger you have screwed up. A dead battery is just extra weight to carry around.
In my case my 2018 Pacifica PHEV showed an mileage average of 62 miles per gal today. Phoenix is mostly flat but does get hot in summer. The travel range is mostly under 12 miles 1 way . I put in a home charger connected to my electric range circuit. I Never charge car and use range And the charge timing is set for later in evening. When I travel I do not worry about a charge unless it is really handy. Finding charge stations on the road is not great or handy. Sometimes the cost of a charge is more than gas for 30 miles. The gas mileage of a PHEV when not charging the battery would probably less than a Pacifica non PHEV, about 18 to 22 mpg.
If your usage does not match what I stated consider selling it and buying a Leaf or other higher capacity PHEV.
There is so much disinformation in this post I don't know where to begin... but I'll give it a shot:

--- It works very much like a prius plug-in.

--- The pacifica never switches to full gas, ever.

--- The battery is charged both from the gas engine as well as from regeneration.

--- I do not have a dedicated home charger, just the plain old charger that came with it. I do just fine with overnight charging.

--- A "dead" battery is not "dead" and it's essential, it is never just extra weight.

--- In almost all circumstances mpg on a hybrid that's never plugged-in is superior to the gas.

·
Registered
28 Posts

i too have bad experiences with Chrysler and its dealerships, the first time you go to them they just turn you back saying nothing wrong. The second time when you go, that's when they even try to look into problem. i had 3 major issues with my van under 6000 miles and all the 3 times, they sent me back resetting the engine check warning.
you should get back to dealership and try to connect customer care, they can be of good help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is so much disinformation in this post I don't know where to begin... but I'll give it a shot:

--- It works very much like a prius plug-in.

--- The pacifica never switches to full gas, ever.

--- The battery is charged both from the gas engine as well as from regeneration.

--- I do not have a dedicated home charger, just the plain old charger that came with it. I do just fine with overnight charging.

--- A "dead" battery is not "dead" and it's essential, it is never just extra weight.

--- In almost all circumstances mpg on a hybrid that's never plugged-in is superior to the gas.
This follow up is mostly bunk! 1 the car does not charge the battery from the engine running. Look at the operational description video by the
Pacifica engineer. Stated any recharging is done by the regenerative braking. No heavy braking or long hills no battery recharge. On 1 trip I got an 8% charge on a long hill . It then went to electric for a few miles, then back to gas. On trip from Phoenix to Santa Barbara after another 25 miles the charge went to 0 and when I got there it was 0. One or twice in heavy braking it would pop up to 1% then go to 0. My trip gas mileage was about 26 mpg. When the charge is 0 the gas engine appears to do all the work. Other hybrids have the battery assist do the starting of motion then it goes to the gas engine. In this car if the battery is 0 how can it assist. It has been a good car and I like it in my use of operation. If a person is doing miles of driving it probably not meet their expectations especially using your views which are not fully founded. I have had my 18 Pacifica PHEV for 1 1/2 years and do not expect to see 30 high way miles on it. Mine was 26 and I was pleased as it was slightly better than my CRV got. My current in town mileage is 62 as my trips are short and I rarely use gas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This follow up is mostly bunk! 1 the car does not charge the battery from the engine running. Look at the operational description video by the
Pacifica engineer. Stated any recharging is done by the regenerative braking. No heavy braking or long hills no battery recharge. On 1 trip I got an 8% charge on a long hill . It then went to electric for a few miles, then back to gas. On trip from Phoenix to Santa Barbara after another 25 miles the charge went to 0 and when I got there it was 0. One or twice in heavy braking it would pop up to 1% then go to 0. My trip gas mileage was about 26 mpg. When the charge is 0 the gas engine appears to do all the work. Other hybrids have the battery assist do the starting of motion then it goes to the gas engine. In this car if the battery is 0 how can it assist. It has been a good car and I like it in my use of operation. If a person is doing miles of driving it probably not meet their expectations especially using your views which are not fully founded. I have had my 18 Pacifica PHEV for 1 1/2 years and do not expect to see 30 high way miles on it. Mine was 26 and I was pleased as it was slightly better than my CRV got. My current in town mileage is 62 as my trips are short and I rarely use gas.
The follow up is correct. The Pacifica Hybrid functions the same as any other hybrid when the battery indicator is at 0. The battery never truly reaches 0 charge. Any coasting, light braking, heavy braking or downhills will charge the battery. When you accelerate from a stop the battery does assist in accelerating the van unless the regenerative charge from stopping was used for climate or other accessories while you were stopped.

My van regularly gets 30-32 mpg on the highway on gas only. If you are never seeing this, you must be taking shorter trips, driving fast (75mph +), or have some other issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you don’t think the car charges the battery while driving, it’s really easy to make the van demonstrate this to you. Just turn it on while the battery is at 0 and enjoy the radio, air conditioning, whatever. It will run off the battery for the most part, and fire up the engine every 5-10 minutes for about 30 seconds to recharge it as necessary.

there are some subtle differences between the way the pachy and the Prius Prime work, but they are very very very similar vehicles. When the battery is depleted they are essentially identical.

On the gas mileage stuff, have you had any other work done on the car recently? I’ve noticed that when the dealer flashes the software or otherwise resets it, the mileage is bad for a while.

Btw, on a hybrid, contrary to what’s shown above, it’s my understanding that you often get better mileage in city driving than in highway driving. The inefficiency from starts and stops and low speeds/idling is avoided by the hybrid, but you have the benefit of lower drag. I think I read somewhere that the pachy sweet spot for mpg is 25mph.

·
Registered
629 Posts
This follow up is mostly bunk!...
We finally agree. (y)

1 the car does not charge the battery from the engine running. Look at the operational description video by the
Pacifica engineer.
Yes it does charge when the engine is running, as long as the electric motors don't immediately need it.

What video are you referring to?

If a person is doing miles of driving it probably not meet their expectations especially using your views which are not fully founded.
I don't have any views, it is how it works, it is not my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been tracking gas gallons in and miles driven since I bought my 2018 Pacifica Hybrid. With about 5600 miles I have used 131 gallons of gas, so 42.7 mpg. I do charge the car every time I drive it, so gas miles are when I exceed the range, mostly on longer trips. I have not reset the trip B odometer since I got the car and it has calculated the MPG over the same period as 41.9 mpg, This same "trip" info says I am driving about 50% miles on battery and 50% miles on gas. I have also done some calcs on 2 600+ mile road trips, mostly highway at 75+mph and 95% on gas and got a bit over 30mpg. This is in very temperate California weather. My experience says the car is capable of exceptional mpg.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Any coasting, light braking, heavy braking or downhills will charge the battery. When you accelerate from a stop the battery does assist in accelerating the van unless the regenerative charge from stopping was used for climate or other accessories while you were stopped.
Correct, but remember the electric motor(s) is always propelling. If the battery doesn't have enough juice then the gas engine kicks in to generate electricity for the electric motor and/or supply torque to assist the electric motor. If the electric motor doesn't need it then it will instead save the generated electricity to the battery.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My van went into FORM just as I was leaving work today. I’d used up my charge and was at <1%. About 15 minutes later I was at 8%. Driving around 35-40 seems to be the speed that charges they fastest.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts