2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Read the info on the Chrysler site: states batteries only charge with regressive braking. Unless you can’t read.
Wrong...

Three ways this vehicle charges, plugged in, hybrid charge sustaining mode, regenerative braking inside the transaxle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wrong...

Three ways this vehicle charges, plugged in, hybrid charge sustaining mode, regenerative braking inside the transaxle.
Yes, there is an app in radio that shows hybrid details, there you see the battery charges in all of the 3 scenarios mentioned, just running down a 1 mile downhill without brakes charges my battery for about 1-2%

·
Registered
629 Posts
Read the info on the Chrysler site: states batteries only charge with regressive braking. Unless you can’t read.
Cool, I can read, post the link please, thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How are you calculating your mileage? If it's from the van display, I have found it is typically lower than reality. Miles driven divided by fuel added its much more accurate if you're not charging. As far as the recent drop, 18.5 seems low, but you should expect a relatively significant drop in gas mileage when it gets cold. This is especially true if you remote start your car or take a lot of short trips.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I've been using the car display that shows average MPG. For most of first year it always put me at an average of 28mpg. Made it through a bad winter in Chicago too. I'll start comparing actual miles driven to gallons I'm filling up, but something is definitely off as miles to empty when tank is full used to be well over 400, now it's 380 or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I noticed your handle is snom4n. Is it possible you live in a pretty cold climate? Are there times when you’re sitting in the car not moving for periods of time?
Live in Chicago, so yeah we had a cold winter last year but even going through that and into deep summer the averages always held around 27-28mpg. Seeing the 18-19mpg over the fall period was just troubling as a result. It does take me an hour to go 20miles for my commute every day so def some stop and go traffic these past few months. I would have thought that closely approximates more 'city' type driving that would be where these type of vehicles would get better mileage.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Live in Chicago, so yeah we had a cold winter last year but even going through that and into deep summer the averages always held around 27-28mpg. Seeing the 18-19mpg over the fall period was just troubling as a result. It does take me an hour to go 20miles for my commute every day so def some stop and go traffic these past few months. I would have thought that closely approximates more 'city' type driving that would be where these type of vehicles would get better mileage.
I just posed the question because the cabin heating system of the PacHy draws quite a bit of power from the battery and could affect gas mileage. But from what you’re saying possibly there’s some other problem that is causing this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just posed the question because the cabin heating system of the PacHy draws quite a bit of power from the battery and could affect gas mileage. But from what you’re saying possibly there’s some other problem that is causing this.
Try turning off climate control and drive one day

·
Registered
21 Posts
Correct, but remember the electric motor(s) is always propelling. If the battery doesn't have enough juice then the gas engine kicks in to generate electricity for the electric motor and/or supply torque to assist the electric motor. If the electric motor doesn't need it then it will instead save the generated electricity to the battery.
The electric motor is not always propelling the van. Only when your display shows that it is. Some electric is almost always used by Motor A which controls the EVT engine output ratio. If the gas engine is running most of the time it is the only contributor to output.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The electric motor is not always propelling the van. Only when your display shows that it is. Some electric is almost always used by Motor A which controls the EVT engine output ratio. If the gas engine is running most of the time it is the only contributor to output.
Your third sentence contradicts your first and fourth sentences. The third sentence is the only one that is correct.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your third sentence contradicts your first and fourth sentences. The third sentence is the only one that is correct.

using electric to control the gear ratio is not propelling the vehicle. Everything I said is accurate, other than my 4th sentence should have included "while moving at speed". I realize there are a number of scenarios here as well I'm simplifying.

·
Registered
629 Posts
No. I think you're thinking the pacifica is a parallel hybrid,which it's not; it's a series-parallel hybrid which is a bit different.

The small motor generates electricity to either charge the battery or to provide electricity for the larger motor. The small motor along with the power-split device varies the amount of gas engine torque that goes directly to help the large motor mechanically or to generate electricity. The large motor propels with or without the gas engine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The electric motor is not always propelling the van.
You are 100% wrong. Motor B is always the primary drive motor and is always the primary source propulsion of the final drive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are 100% wrong. Motor B is always the primary drive motor and is always the primary source propulsion of the final drive.
I see, so when I'm driving down the road, and the all electric range is long gone, and my engine output shows 50KW output and the battery shows 0 KW output. You are saying that the 50KW output is generating electricity and then Motor B is pushing the car down the road? If Motor B is "always the primary source propulsion" then why is there even a PSD? it wouldn't be needed at all.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think the electric motor is almost always propelling the van. You’re saying that if the gas engine is running most of the time (which is the case in battery depletion/hybrid mode) then it is the only contributor to output. But when I’m driving on the highway and the engine is running most of the time I can see that the electric motor is using energy and therefore propelling the van. The engine is mostly keeping the HV battery charged and/or supplying energy for the motor to propel the vehicle.

·
Registered
470 Posts
using electric to control the gear ratio is not propelling the vehicle. Everything I said is accurate, other than my 4th sentence should have included "while moving at speed". I realize there are a number of scenarios here as well I'm simplifying.
Putting energy into the motor does not “control the gear ratio”. When the engine is running it is either a) charging the HV battery, b) contributing to the motive power that the electric motor is generating to propel the van, c) driving one motor as a generator to provide power for the other or d) all of the above.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I see, so when I'm driving down the road, and the all electric range is long gone, and my engine output shows 50KW output and the battery shows 0 KW output. You are saying that the 50KW output is generating electricity and then Motor B is pushing the car down the road? If Motor B is "always the primary source propulsion" then why is there even a PSD? it wouldn't be needed at all.
Because sometimes the engine becomes the secondary source of propulsion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are 2 motors, A (63KW) and B (85KW). B is only propulsion, A is sometimes generator and controls the sun gear in the PSD, and some conditions also contributes to propulsion. Electricity use absolutely controls the gear ratio for the engine via Motor A connected to the sun gear of the planetary gearset. Motor B is only a 85KW motor, the engine is 180KW. There are certainly many times the engine is the primary contributor. The generator is only 63KW. If the engine was fully supplying electricity via the generator it could output at the most 63KW to send to Motor B and realistically can't do that because the output gear is also turning due to driving down the road. The amount of torque applied to the output by the engine is completely controlled by Motor A and the output of the engine. What am I missing here?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts