2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st post for our new Pacifica Limited S. Just received our metal license plates and looking to install on the rear door. The install kit has 2 screws through the top holes only for the rear plate. Even with the pads, it bounces around a bit too much for my liking so I would like to use the bottom 2 holes to keep the frame tight to the rear door.

Has anyone done this before? Figure I'll need to drill a hole 3/8 in diameter to insert a Nylon Nut for a screw that's around 7/16 long. I'm open to other suggestions.

I just want to make sure I don't hit anything! Does anyone know what's behind the bottom screw holes?

M

·
0 Posts
I went to the local Lowes and picked up a couple small rubber stoppers, then hot glued the stoppers/corks to the back bottom of my license plate. This holds it way from my tailgate so it doesn't vibrate or scratch, and it also holds it quite firmly when the top screws are tightened down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm open to other suggestions.
Cant help you on the drilling, if youre objective is to simply not have the plate bounce around. However, if its protecting the paint and/or reducing noise youre going for... I just got a silicone frame today from amazon. It's basically a pocket/surround for the plate. So it is between the plate and the vehicle. It might help reduce noise/movement (havent got my plates yet so I cant vouch for how well it actually works)

Search amazon for this if the link doesnt work: Rightcar Solutions Flawless Silicone License Plate Frame

And if youre still married to the idea of drilling for the 2 bottom holes, it has holes on both top and bottom.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would not do the drilling personally...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought one of these (Rightcar Solutions Flawless Silicone License Plate Frame - Rust-Proof. Rattle-Proof. Weather-Proof. - Black) from Amazon for my plate and it works great Comes in different colors and does not cover any information on the plate. It totally protects the paint from any contact with the plate....end of issue of potentially scratching paint.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I like the looks of that silicone frame, but haven't tried it. I did use the free advertising frames that our dealer supplied, but put them on the back side of the plates. It filled the rattle gap, and has two other advantages: I'm not doing free advertising for the dealer, and it doesn't cover the state name!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I went to the local Lowes and picked up a couple small rubber stoppers, then hot glued the stoppers/corks to the back bottom of my license plate. This holds it way from my tailgate so it doesn't vibrate or scratch, and it also holds it quite firmly when the top screws are tightened down.

I did something similar - I took pieces of inner tube, rolled them tightly, shoved them into other holes - works great.

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I had known there were license plate frames/mats made specifically for this type of use, I would have gotten one. What I did though was to stick on a few pieces of 1 inch wide rubber/plastic door moulding onto the back of the license plate itself and that was it. It protects the paint underneath and absorbs vibration. It doesn't look as nice as having a a frame though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cant help you on the drilling, if youre objective is to simply not have the plate bounce around. However, if its protecting the paint and/or reducing noise youre going for... I just got a silicone frame today from amazon. It's basically a pocket/surround for the plate. So it is between the plate and the vehicle. It might help reduce noise/movement (havent got my plates yet so I cant vouch for how well it actually works)

Search amazon for this if the link doesnt work: Rightcar Solutions Flawless Silicone License Plate Frame

And if youre still married to the idea of drilling for the 2 bottom holes, it has holes on both top and bottom.
I just purchased this and went to remove the chrome license plate cover that was on for only 6 months and rust already started to form. Thanks so much for the post love the new silicone cover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks! Decided not to drill and purchased the Rightcar Silicone plate frame. The bottom feels snug against the car. So far so good. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
13 Participants
Fatboy
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing