2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
181 - 200 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pac Hybrid Limited, Bright White
148 Posts
The only question he asked was how many miles my car had (low 40K). It was a miracle I didn't assume the call from Michigan was spam and block it. Wish I knew a better reason why they called me. He seemed genuinely grateful for me to opt in so I'm not sure if others have declined or not. Or maybe it's a bad deal and I didn't ask enough tough questions.
Good Luck! Perhaps they were able to correlate the car fires down to a particular batch of batteries. Or it could be just a random selection from the model year. Maybe you can ask the dealer for more details when swapping. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
The battery is a very straight forward install, so good that you're able to get it knocked out ahead of the queue. Once the recall begins enmass expect massive logistics issues on the dealership side. These things aren't small.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Then I’m not even eligible for the $7500k incentive since that’s a one and doner and used it for this “lemon.”
For the record, there is no limit to the number of $7500 credits you can get.

There are people that are on their 3rd, 4th, or 5th EV and still get the $7500 credit.

You are only limited by whether you owe enough taxes for the credit to offset your taxes owed since the credit is non-refundable.

As it is non-refundable, assuming a 10%-15% tax rate the revers backs out to about $70-90k of combined household income you need to make to qualify. If you buy 2 EVs in the same year then you need to make $150-180k in combined income for the credit to do anything. And that's before any kids credits as the child tax credit comes off your tax bill first.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Looks like a bunch of firms are trying to go after Chrysler with a class action.

I reached out to one of them - we'll see what happens.
I'm glad to see there is legal action starting up against Chrysler. However, in my experience Class Action lawsuits make a lot of money for lawyers and very little for consumers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Got a call from Chrysler yesterday asking if I'd be willing to swap out my battery pack for them to study the old ones. (I have an early 2018.) They're shipping a battery to my dealer. I realize I'll be excluded from future resolution offers, but I'm tired of having to search for rental cars each month and the risk to my insurance if something happens to said rental. Hopefully I can get a new battery and have the option to sell the van if I choose.
Sign me up. It seems very likely that; 1- The newer Pacifica Hybrids not included in the recall have the same basic technology but a newer/different battery, 2- The obvious fix is to replace the old battery with the newer battery.
Of course I could be wrong on either count. However their handling of the recall is grossly inadequate so far.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
755 Posts
That I'm now paying $6.50 per gallon instead of $0.22 per kWh to drive my vehicle.
The part where it can catch fire, but you are stuck with the van.
I was more asking that one responder what they thought qualified as grossly inadequate. But I would ask both of you what they should be doing instead? Seems as though they are working to find a cause, but these things take time. Would you prefer not to know about it at all until they had a resolution? I’m asking genuinely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was more asking that one responder what they thought qualified as grossly inadequate. But I would ask both of you what they should be doing instead? Seems as though they are working to find a cause, but these things take time. Would you prefer not to know about it at all until they had a resolution? I’m asking genuinely.
At the very least they should be reimbursing gas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would like a model that wasn't recalled as a loaner while they keep mine. Instead I was offered $60 rental, but that will not cover another Pacific. So, it would end up costing me. I know it takes time to find the cause. At first I wasn't to worried, but as time goes on, plus this being the second fire recall. I am beginning to worry. With a short drive way and not being allowed to park the car on the road, if it burns, so will my house.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would like a model that wasn't recalled as a loaner while they keep mine. Instead I was offered $60 rental, but that will not cover another Pacific. So, it would end up costing me. I know it takes time to find the cause. At first I wasn't to worried, but as time goes on, plus this being the second fire recall. I am beginning to worry. With a short drive way and not being allowed to park the car on the road, if it burns, so will my house.
You think they should provide 19,000 free loaners?

·
Registered
73 Posts
You think they should provide 19,000 free loaners?
When your left rear brake light may not work, no. When your car may just catch fire and burn your house down with you in it, yes. Especially with this being the second recall for the same thing. And, it is only 19,000 not even 100,000 cars. This is a small number of cars in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
755 Posts
When your left rear brake light may not work, no. When your car may just catch fire and burn your house down with you in it, yes. Especially with this being the second recall for the same thing. And, it is only 19,000 not even 100,000 cars. This is a small number of cars in the grand scheme of things.
Thats 1/5th of normal yearly Pacifica production. For something which is quite rare and not even understood yet. In a year of severely reduced supply. I just don’t think you’re being realistic. There’s lots of reasons a vehicle can burn, not the least being that they are full of flammable material. We don’t even know if these Pacificas all burnt for the same reason. Remember this was a fishing expedition by Chrysler. Their data showed more fires than expected in 2 model years. It could have been a fluke. Just an unexplainable anomaly that can’t be reproduced. They might not find anything and just tell people to go back to normal usage of their vans. The current recall recommendations are just sensible risk mitigation, but could be rescinded with no further action at the end of this. So I don’t think it’s prudent to catastrophize about what’s going on here.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What part of the recall don't you like?
1. The part where they have no fix for it.
2. The part where I'm paying over $4.00/gal of gas for the first thirty miles or so of each trip where I should be paying less than $0.25 in electricity.
3. The part where I'm forced to park outside and subject the vehicle to weather further depreciating it at a faster rate.
4. The part where any compensation for all these financial and other difficulties is meager at best.
5. The part where they can't even give you a clue about when there will be a resolution.
6. The part where I can't sell the car right now for what it really should be worth because of the recall.
7. The part where I may never be able to sell the car for what it really should be worth because of the recall.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thats 1/5th of normal yearly Pacifica production. For something which is quite rare and not even understood yet. In a year of severely reduced supply. I just don’t think you’re being realistic. There’s lots of reasons a vehicle can burn, not the least being that they are full of flammable material. We don’t even know if these Pacificas all burnt for the same reason. Remember this was a fishing expedition by Chrysler. Their data showed more fires than expected in 2 model years. It could have been a fluke. Just an unexplainable anomaly that can’t be reproduced. They might not find anything and just tell people to go back to normal usage of their vans. The current recall recommendations are just sensible risk mitigation, but could be rescinded with no further action at the end of this. So I don’t think it’s prudent to catastrophize about what’s going on here.
Actually it’s not as much of a fishing expedition as it might seem. Apparently they have almost immediately narrowed it down quite easily to only the hybrid Pacificas. Apparently something led Chrysler to believe that only the hybrid Pacificas were suspected of having a problem. As you say, all vehicles have a good reason to burn because they are all full of flammable material. But they have obviously narrowed it down to much less than all Pacificas. So the question now becomes, what is different between hybrid Pacificas and non-hybrid Pacificas that is making them more prone to catch fire?

·
Registered
883 Posts
What part of the recall don't you like?
The part of the “recall” that I don’t like is that it’s not actually a “recall”. It also appears that they have dilly-dallied on this. That whole battery post insulator thing was essentially a pipe dream. It may have been a point of concern but it almost certainly was not the cause of the fires. In fact, it was probably just the cheapest fix Chrysler could come up with to make it look like they were genuinely attempting to fix the problem. So in reality, they’ve had plenty of time to get this figured out. It’s not just a matter of 3-4 months. They’ve been trying to “figure it out” for some years.

·
Registered
755 Posts
2. The part where I'm paying over $4.00/gal of gas for the first thirty miles or so of each trip where I should be paying less than $0.25 in electricity.
3. The part where I'm forced to park outside and subject the vehicle to weather further depreciating it at a faster rate.
4. The part where any compensation for all these financial and other difficulties is meager at best.
5. The part where they can't even give you a clue about when there will be a resolution.
6. The part where I can't sell the car right now for what it really should be worth because of the recall.
7. The part where I may never be able to sell the car for what it really should be worth because of the recall.
So you'd prefer not to know about it until then? I think its required by law to announce a recall once a manufacturer becomes aware of a safety problem that may lead to a recall, whether or not they have a fix available. Ford just recalled hundreds of thousands of vehicles for fire problems without a fix available as well, and are advising not to park inside. This is standard practice.

That's your choice. The recall is making a recommendation. They didn't say do not charge. They are making a recommendation they feel might lessen the risk. But considering they don't have a cause yet, that's all it is. The most conservative option.

See #2

What would you prefer specifically?

Well they are working on it obviously. But until magic wands exist they are going to have to do it the old fashioned way of engineering. They can't give a resolution if they don't have a cause.

Why not? Cars are sold with outstanding recalls all the time. Even new ones from dealers! Have you tried to sell it? At what price?

Why not? Do you think any prospective buyer would have any idea at all that there is or was a recall on that vehicle? I doubt it. Go ask 10 people on the sidewalk about Chrysler Pacifica recalls and you'll get at least 9.9 blank stares. Ford and Hyundai have just recalled hundreds of thousands of ICE vehicles for fire problems. But do you think anyone on the street even knows that? Not likely. The hundreds of thousands of people that own them won't even know yet because their letters haven't been sent yet. And Ford doesn't even have a fix yet!

Look I know this whole thing isn't ideal, but a little perspective and stoicism is what's required here.

181 - 200 of 247 Posts