2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
FCA recommends putting the vehicle in neutral and braking to a controlled stop if you are unable to turn off the cruise control. Not sure how to do that on a Pacifica as the gear selector seems to be locked in drive when the vehicle is in motion. I did discover you can shift from Drive into Low by pressing down and turning the selector to the right (don't be going more than, say, 20 mph), but I haven't tried that trick to shift into Neutral.

I can shift from D to N at speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This is at heart the 4th thread opened about this recall. Search before you post is your friend.
That's exactly what I did before posting. But I can see how one might err to the opposing assumption. No other entries appeared by search at the time I posted (though it is certainly possible that other posts may not have been indexed at that time). Still, a good tip for most new members.

Since then several other posts have popped up, as you noticed, though none of the others seem to be in the forum designated for Recalls.

The important thing, I think, is that we as a community are aware of the recall and the need to act when the fix is available.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I can shift from D to N at speed.

Not sure about the PacHy software shifter, but it is fun, you should try while a friend is driving. Of course in a safe location. Drivers ed instructor used to do this to students back in high school, to simulate an emergency situation. Almost like the first PCM recall we had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's exactly what I did before posting. But I can see how one might err to the opposing assumption. No other entries appeared by search at the time I posted (though it is certainly possible that other posts may not have been indexed at that time). Still, a good tip for most new members.
Same here. When I posted, Vapian's post was the only one showing under "Recalls". It appears this thread is now the result of a merger with the same topic in another sub-forum.

Anyway, thanks again Vapian; and welcome aboard!

·
Super Moderator
643 Posts
Same here. When I posted, Vapian's post was the only one showing under "Recalls". It appears this thread is now the result of a merger with the same topic in another sub-forum.

Anyway, thanks again Vapian; and welcome aboard!
I merged the threads and kept them under the recall sub form where they belong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Searched the NHTSA site for our 2018 Limited by VIN and shows no recalls (yet?). Might have something to do with the build date (mine is 02/27/18). As others have said, if I have to take it in for a software update that's likely a good thing to get the most refreshed version where they've corrected other issues too minor for a recall.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Searched the NHTSA site for our 2018 Limited by VIN and shows no recalls (yet?). Might have something to do with the build date (mine is 02/27/18). As others have said, if I have to take it in for a software update that's likely a good thing to get the most refreshed version where they've corrected other issues too minor for a recall.
There’s no point checking your VIN yet. The database won’t be updated yet. FCA says recall will start on July 6.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks, Vapian. Here's the link to NHTSA. https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/CHRYSLER/PACIFICA/VAN/FWD#recalls

This recall is huge and affects a boat load of various Chrysler cars and trucks from 2014 on, including 2017 - 2018 Pacificas. FCA recommends putting the vehicle in neutral and braking to a controlled stop if you are unable to turn off the cruise control. Not sure how to do that on a Pacifica as the gear selector seems to be locked in drive when the vehicle is in motion. I did discover you can shift from Drive into Low by pressing down and turning the selector to the right (don't be going more than, say, 20 mph), but I haven't tried that trick to shift into Neutral.

Doing a search on our month-old 2018 Pacifica's VIN resulted in no recall, but it might show up next week when FCA starts sending out letters. Will keep checking. Sounds like the fix is a software update.
Its not a trick... you just put it neutral...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have to wonder about this recall. It applies to 2014 vehicles like the Jeep I had before the Pacifica. I used the cruise control often without any problems. It seems like one of those things that could happen in theory, but it's impossible to replicate in practice...like you have to really try to get it to fail. I'll get the update done when the time comes, but I'm not going to sweat it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have to wonder about this recall. It applies to 2014 vehicles like the Jeep I had before the Pacifica. I used the cruise control often without any problems. It seems like one of those things that could happen in theory, but it's impossible to replicate in practice...like you have to really try to get it to fail. I'll get the update done when the time comes, but I'm not going to sweat it.
Take a close look at the statement and you'll see just how unlikely it is. It requires a short circuit in a certain system combined with the use of cruise control for this to occur.

You have to more than try to get this to fail, a short circuit is a prerequisite for this to occur.

What are the odds? I don't plan on changing a thing about how I drive my car. I'll get it taken care of at some point, but this is truly a nonissue.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Take a close look at the statement and you'll see just how unlikely it is. It requires a short circuit in a certain system combined with the use of cruise control for this to occur.

You have to more than try to get this to fail, a short circuit is a prerequisite for this to occur.

What are the odds? I don't plan on changing a thing about how I drive my car. I'll get it taken care of at some point, but this is truly a nonissue.
I'm with you even though ABC News reported it as an URGENT recall. Just trying to stir the masses. I still wonder how they are going to fix a short circuit with a software update. Seems like all the software can do is ignore the short when/if it occurs not actually prevent or fix the short.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm with you even though ABC News reported it as an URGENT recall. Just trying to stir the masses. I still wonder how they are going to fix a short circuit with a software update. Seems like all the software can do is ignore the short when/if it occurs not actually prevent or fix the short.
I haven't seen that complaint on this forum. Yesterday I drove 130 miles, mostly on I-55 with cruise and adaptive cruise, and they worked just fine.

I agree, this seems to be a non-issue, and I wonder what is behind the "fake news" story. If this has been a problem since 2015, it should have been noticed and addressed a long time ago. Something is going on here that is not being told. The one incident mentioned was with a 2015 Dodge Journey (truly a POS). FCA has been forced to do this massive, expensive, and embarrassing recall by someone. Why?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I agree, this seems to be a non-issue, and I wonder what is behind the "fake news" story. If this has been a problem since 2015, it should have been noticed and addressed a long time ago. Something is going on here that is not being told. The one incident mentioned was with a 2015 Dodge Journey (truly a POS). FCA has been forced to do this massive, expensive, and embarrassing recall by someone. Why?
Nope, this was much more recent than this. You can see everything the NHTSA receives from the manufacturer on their website.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RMISC-18V332-9025.pdf

FCA Chronology said:
On March 02, 2018, the first and only identified field incident possibly associated with this condition was submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (“NHTSA”) in the form of a Vehicle Owner Questionnaire that described an event matching some of the characteristics associated with the test observation. This potential field event occurred in a 2017 MY Dodge Journey, in use at the time as an Avis rental vehicle.
I think the "why" has to do with how aggressively the DOJ went after GM for delaying a recall over the ignition switch debacle a few years ago. They set out to make an example, which they did...now automakers issue recalls for just about everything imaginable to manage risk.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Nope, this was much more recent than this. You can see everything the NHTSA receives from the manufacturer on their website.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RMISC-18V332-9025.pdf

I think the "why" has to do with how aggressively the DOJ went after GM for delaying a recall over the ignition switch debacle a few years ago. They set out to make an example, which they did...now automakers issue recalls for just about everything imaginable to manage risk.
I stand corrected on the time line. One news report did call it a 2015 Journey, but apparently that was an error.

I still find it unbelievable that one reported incident (in a rental car at that) in over 200 billion miles of travel could trigger such a massive "voluntary" recall. It's never "voluntary" with government looking at you. The question is: why did the government even take notice of one reported incident?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call it a non-issue, but now that I am fore-warned, I am fore-armed. I can see it pretty gosh-darn disconcerting if it happened to you and you weren't prepared for it. Now that we know that it could happen, albeit in some fairly rare circumstances, and we know how to mitigate it, I agree that there is no need to panic, or even hurry to the dealer at the earliest opportunity for that matter. Additionally, using ACC almost certainly provides other mitigations (and maybe isn't affected at all), if you have it - and that is the mode of cruise I routinely use.

I will not hesitate to continue to operate my Pac as I always have, but I will endeavor to be aware that there is some small risk, and be prepared to act if necessary.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I haven't seen that complaint on this forum. Yesterday I drove 130 miles, mostly on I-55 with cruise and adaptive cruise, and they worked just fine.

Does Kelly own a Dodge Journey?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I welcome an update to the cruise control on my 2017 gas Pacifica since it could use some refinement and doesn't keep the speed set going downhill at times and I have to brake to slow it down. It doesn't work as well as the cruise control in other vehicles I've had so if Chrysler finally figured out how to improve it I'm glad.

I was glad to hear about possible remedies if there is a problem and tested putting it in neutral in my gas Pacifica while driving in a safe place and it worked.

I appreciate all the useful information I read on the forum. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I didn’t read the whole thread. Can someone tell me briefly what went wrong with the rental Pacifica that elicited such a recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 144 Posts
About this Discussion
143 Replies
55 Participants
TomCross
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing