2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 144 Posts

·
Super Moderator
643 Posts
I have to confess, I used the cruise control today. It worked well, just like it has for the past 6 months.
"You're dangerous Maverick." Now pretend I'm Iceman and I'm clinching my teeth together when I'm saying it. It's more convincing that way...if you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll have to ban you. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I didn’t read the whole thread. Can someone tell me briefly what went wrong with the rental Pacifica that elicited such a recall.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check post 34 if you can. It was a 2017 Dodge Journey not a Pacifica, but evidently many Dodge/Chrysler vehicles use the same cruise control system.

Post 4 link, from part of document from FCA:
"In certain vehicles, if such an acceleration were to occur simultaneously with a short-circuit in a specific electrical network, a driver could be unable to cancel cruise-control. However, if this sequence of events were to occur, cruise-control acceleration can be overpowered by the vehicle’s brakes.
The vehicle may also be stopped by shifting it into neutral and braking accordingly. Regardless of the mitigation strategy, the vehicle may be placed in park once it has stopped, at which point cruise-control is cancelled."

·
Registered
770 Posts
I didn’t read the whole thread. Can someone tell me briefly what went wrong with the rental Pacifica that elicited such a recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the quote in the second article is correct, as long as your vehicle is critter free you probably are OK. (There is a another thread about some vehicles having wires chewed -- link at end of post)

This is one story I found in the Detroit Free Press:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2018/05/25/fiat-chrysler-cruise-control-recall/643928002/

The problem was found in testing of the vehicles' computer network. FCA says it has no reports of crashes or injuries. After the testing uncovered the trouble, FCA said it reviewed consumer complaints and found one that may be related.

In the complaint filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, an owner from Olathe, Kansas, said a 2017 Dodge Journey SUV rental vehicle was being driven about 70 miles per hour with the cruise control on when the windshield wipers came on by themselves and the throttle locked up.

The owner, who was not identified in the agency's complaint database, wrote that the cruise control would not disengage by tapping the brakes or turning off the button. The driver was able to slam on the brakes and get the SUV to the side of the road. "It was still running at an engine speed to support 70 mph and fighting the brakes," the driver wrote.

The engine stop button also wouldn't work, but the driver was able halt the SUV and shift into park while the brakes "smoked significantly."

And this one, which talks about external damage (my emphasis)

https://www.feedspot.com/infiniterss.php?q=site:http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/feed.xml

The first and only known incident was filed with the government in March 2018 when a customer filled out a vehicle owner questionnaire that described a similar event that Chrysler's engineers found. The field incident occurred on a 2017 Dodge Journey that was being used as a rental vehicle for Avis.

FCA contacted the customer and gathered information about the cruise control incident and then purchased the Dodge Journey back from Avis to study the SUV.

In May 2018, Chrysler tore down the affected Dodge Journey and found dead rodents, damaged wiring and a nest in the driver's side front fender. Although no final determination has been made, engineers believe the rodents chewed and damaged the wiring which caused a short-circuit and a halt of communications with the CAN-C bus.

Specifically, the cruise control can get stuck if there is a short-circuit that affects the CAN-C bus, combined with the vehicle accelerating while cruise control is activated. Those conditions must be met for the problem to occur, something Chrysler says is unlikely, but possible.

Chrysler says it knows of just the one occurrence on the Dodge Journey out of about 200 billion miles driven by all the vehicles involved in the recall. Additionally, no reports of crashes or injuries have been reported related to the cruise control issues.

However, if the cruise control does get stuck, using the brakes while shifting into NEUTRAL will allow you to stop and get the vehicle into PARK. The automaker says until the vehicle is repaired, it would be best not to activate the cruise control feature.

This is the thread about wires being chewed on various car brands:
http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/193-2017-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-general-discussion/32681-beware-critters-under-hood.html#post428537

I would also remind owners that if you do get a runaway situation (not just this CC issue,) after shifting into neutral, do not attempt to stop the engine (as noisy as it might get) until you stop the vehicle, otherwise you will probably lose the power assist for both brakes and steering. Once halted either tapping the stop button a few times and/or holding it in will probably stop the engine, even if you are not in park. Then you can shift into Park.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I welcome an update to the cruise control on my 2017 gas Pacifica since it could use some refinement and doesn't keep the speed set going downhill at times and I have to brake to slow it down. It doesn't work as well as the cruise control in other vehicles I've had so if Chrysler finally figured out how to improve it I'm glad.
I wouldn't say you need an update, more likely yours is broken in some way. I say that unless the 2018's are different because mine works perfectly. After reading your post I have gone down many hills on purpose just to check and this is the best cruise control I have ever used.

·
Registered
83 Posts
In May 2018, Chrysler tore down the affected Dodge Journey and found dead rodents, damaged wiring and a nest in the driver's side front fender. Although no final determination has been made, engineers believe the rodents chewed and damaged the wiring which caused a short-circuit and a halt of communications with the CAN-C bus.

So, help a girl understand this recall... there is something they can do by updating the PCM software that is going to impede a halt of communication even in the presence of wire rodent damage?? I'm lost. :confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
So, help a girl understand this recall... there is something they can do by updating the PCM software that is going to impede a halt of communication even in the presence of wire rodent damage?? I'm lost. :confused:
No. I think they just found an unnecessary dependency in the software - it wouldn't let the car drop out of cruise control when the (specific) wires were shorted. But they (apparently) can remove that dependency so that you can turn CC off anyway. You'll still have whatever other problems may result from the electrical short(s), but at least you'll be able to stop the car.

Dave

·
Registered
83 Posts
No. I think they just found an unnecessary dependency in the software - it wouldn't let the car drop out of cruise control when the (specific) wires were shorted. But they (apparently) can remove that dependency so that you can turn CC off anyway. You'll still have whatever other problems may result from the electrical short(s), but at least you'll be able to stop the car.

Dave
Ah... Got it! Thanks so much.

·
Registered
116 Posts
"You're dangerous Maverick." Now pretend I'm Iceman and I'm clinching my teeth together when I'm saying it. It's more convincing that way...if you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll have to ban you. :grin2:
Oh, Oh @irpilot seems to have lost that 'Luv'n Feeling'

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I wouldn't say you need an update, more likely yours is broken in some way. I say that unless the 2018's are different because mine works perfectly. After reading your post I have gone down many hills on purpose just to check and this is the best cruise control I have ever used.
Do you have ACC? I don't. If you put your van info in the signature line of the UserCP it will help us know what you have. It seems like those with ACC have better cruise control, so I'm not sure if it is the ACC, model year, or a problem with my van. I will mention it when I take it in for the recall. Maybe it needs something more done. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
643 Posts
Oh, Oh @irpilot seems to have lost that 'Luv'n Feeling'
Lol. I've actually lost that sleeping feeling ever since the baby was born...now it gone gone gone whoa whoa whoa...:grin2:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Do you have ACC? I don't. If you put your van info in the signature line of the UserCP it will help us know what you have. It seems like those with ACC have better cruise control, so I'm not sure if it is the ACC, model year, or a problem with my van. I will mention it when I take it in for the recall. Maybe it needs something more done. Thanks.
As I speculated in post 24 of http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/193-2017-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-general-discussion/3450-cruise-control-concerns-3.html#post497306, if you only have cruise control and not ACC, the logic/capability to provide braking may not be there. My memory is that my Town & Country could "overspeed" going downhill. The owners manual is silent on the braking feature.

And researching this, I just discovered a low key note on page 345 of the 2017 Pacifica Owners manual:
NOTE: Any chassis/suspension or tire size modifications to the vehicle will effect the performance of the Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning System​
They didn't even box and bold it. So all of you who upgraded to 20" wheels on your own -- is this a problem you have had? I would guess that it applies to all speed related functions. (I think the reason it applies to FCW is that it would think you are going slower than you actually are....)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lol. I've actually lost that sleeping feeling ever since the baby was born...now it gone gone gone whoa whoa whoa...:grin2:
Is it some sort of weird coincidence this particular OT is happening in a "Cruise" control thread

·
Registered
157 Posts
If we put the car in neutral with the cruise control on, won't the engine rev up to dangerous levels?
No. The engine computer limits the maximum rpm of the engine to avoid damage. The engine may go to redline rpm (or near it - some manufacturers set a lower redline in neutral). It will be noisy and disconcerting, but I would not anticipate any damage or problems in the 30 seconds it may take to maneuver to the side of the road, stop the car, and switch off the engine.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If we put the car in neutral with the cruise control on, won't the engine rev up to dangerous levels?
That hasn't been true for a vehicle in at least 30 years. The advent of electronic engine controls makes an overrev virtually impossible unless you're abusing a manual transmission. Just about everything I've owned also incorporates some rudimentary logic to the cruise control, once the transmission leaves "D" the system disengages. I will try this later today, I expect the engine RPMs to drop down to idle and the cruise to disengage.

Modern engine controls are great, it's virtually impossible to hurt a vehicle through misuse.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yep, that's exactly what happened.

I did this three times today; once in my 10-year-old Kia, and twice in the Pacifica on the highway. Both times were on cruise, and the instant the cars went into neutral the cruise disengaged and the engine went down to idle. I then slid the transmission right back into Drive and continued on my way.

No redlining, no engine damage, just disengage and idle.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

I did this three times today; once in my 10-year-old Kia, and twice in the Pacifica on the highway. Both times were on cruise, and the instant the cars went into neutral the cruise disengaged and the engine went down to idle. I then slid the transmission right back into Drive and continued on my way.

Admittedly, it is possible that with this particular issue of a short circuit that it may not disengage when in N although FCA assures that it will in P.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Admittedly, it is possible that with this particular issue of a short circuit that it may not disengage when in N although FCA assures that it will in P.
Yep...with that crazy of a sequence of events to create that kind of glitch I suppose anything is possible. Fortunately it's something I think none of us will ever have to deal with.

It's kind of crazy...this is the first vehicle I've owned with every means of control being run by computers. I'm not afraid of it by any stretch, but if the car was reprogrammed and wanted to kill everyone in it, it would be very capable of doing so.

·
Registered
770 Posts

Kind of meaningless, unfortunately. The whole problem is that if the system is locked on due to the short circuit, it may not disengage when shifting into neutral. So if the cruise control is stuck on, as you slow the car, it is going to try to accelerate back to the set speed. And we already know that cruise control knows only one way to get back to the set speed - FLOOR IT. Now, one other thing you might be able to do in this situation is hold down the SET- button (as you take the other measures) -- it will decrease the speed the system is trying to reach in 5 mph increments when held down. It may even disengage when you try to drop the set speed below 20 mph, but it may also remain engaged at 20 -- don't know.

So if you really want to see what may happen with the engine when speed control remains stuck on and you shift into Neutral, (NOT RECOMMENDED,) floor the car while in PARK or NEUTRAL. See if the RPMs are limited to below a damaging speed. Not sure what it implies, but I did notice there is no "redline" on my van's tach!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Good point, if the flaw won't disengage the cruise on shift to neutral, it's possible that the throttle could be applied. I suppose if this is something people are worried about just shut the van off. Press and hold the "start/stop" button and the van will shut off. Of course then you'd lose airbags, safety systems, power steering, and everything else.
So if you really want to see what may happen with the engine when speed control remains stuck on and you shift into Neutral, (NOT RECOMMENDED,) floor the car while in PARK or NEUTRAL. See if the RPMs are limited to below a damaging speed. Not sure what it implies, but I did notice there is no "redline" on my van's tach!
Oh I'm not afraid of that...I've done that to just about every vehicle I've ever owned. Most cars seem to be limited to 4,000 RPMs in neutral or drive, but others are capable of hitting redline. Redline for the 3.6L is around 6,200 RPMs, and the engine controller will not let it exceed that under any conditions. I'm only in my 30's, but I've never owned a vehicle where it was possible to over-rev the engine. Even my '89 Jeep had a hard rev limiter where the ignition system cuts off.

Electronically controlled engines are great; without modifications you really can't hurt them.

41 - 60 of 144 Posts
About this Discussion
143 Replies
55 Participants
TomCross
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing