2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=18786&mid=1
Statement: Software Update

January 12, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC is voluntarily recalling an estimated 153,859 minivans in the U.S. to update certain software.

An investigation by FCA US has discovered that under a rare set of conditions, a vehicle’s engine control module (ECM) may incorrectly assess the engine’s operating status. If this occurs, the engine may stall.

Most such events known to FCA US reportedly occurred at idle or while starting, turning, or driving at low, steady speeds. Further, most were singular events that occurred over thousands of miles of travel, and customers were able to restart their vehicles immediately afterward.

The Company is aware of a single potentially related accident. FCA US is unaware of any potentially related injuries.

The campaign is limited to model-year 2017 Chrysler Pacifica minivans; hybrid versions are unaffected.

Customers will be advised when they may schedule service to install updated engine control software, which will be available – free of charge – from certified FCA US dealers. The Company urges customers to heed the instructions on all recall notices.

Customers with questions may call the FCA US Customer Care Center at 1-800-853-1403.

Additional vehicles will be subject to recall in Canada (est. 7,457), Mexico (est. 974) and certain markets outside the NAFTA region (est. 245).

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I recall seeing some 2018's affected by it also (?)...thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
FCA didn’t care until they saw it could hit their bottom line.
That's the way that Capitalism works - and the only way that Capitalism works...

·
Registered
194 Posts
The tit for tat is tiresome you guys. Enough already.

I for one am glad Chrysler found the bug that caused this even though I judged the risk of it occurring so low that it didn’t effect my family’s use of the Pacifica. This will be the third recall on the van but I knew what I was signing up for buying a first year model of an all-New platform & design. Still love our Pacifica.

·
Super Moderator
643 Posts
Thread cleaned.

Let's get this thread back on track...I'd hate to have to close a thread on such an important topic because of the constant bickering that has ZERO benefit to the thread or members.

...or even worse accidentally merge another thread into it. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
643 Posts
**If you experience a sudden loss of motive power in your 2017 or 2018, please make sure to file a report with NHTSA at nhtsa.gov.**

@irpilot You completely ruined a thread that had a lot of very important information for people who experienced a very scary defect. If you want to be helpful, go delete all the oil change posts in this thread:
http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/474-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-issues-problems/2937-vehicle-shut-off-while-driving-96.html

@kellyk82...keep it up and you're going to be looking for a new forum to post in. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
People are going crazy with this recall..SCARY DEFECT.... come on now! 50-60 out of 160,000... the cars engine shuts off... so what? Can you people only drive in perfect conditions? What would you do with a blowout tire? etc.:crying:
That's probably being a little strong. I do agree with you that likelihood that anybody having an accident or being injured is fairly small. In their recall announcement, FCA said they were aware of 1 accident that may be related, and it had no reported injuries. Nonetheless, many people have little to no experience driving in conditions that are substantially less than perfect, and doing so for them can be very scary indeed. I know people that won't drive if it's raining, so the prospect of a car shutting off, even if it is remote, would be a huge concern to them. And the fact that FCA says that an accident may be related tends to suggest that the chance of hazard is real, albeit small.

I spent most of my life driving vehicles that were MUCH less than perfect, even if the conditions were, so I feel pretty confident in my ability to handle things such as a blown tire or an engine seizure - especially since I have done both. I also feel that I could handle a car that stalls unexpectedly, but I certainly recognize that if it happened at just the wrong time, it may be unrecoverable and the consequences could be severe. I am VERY glad that FCA seems to have identified the problem and that they are taking action to rectify it. I also think that it is likely that @kellyk82's efforts contributed to making that happen. I applaud her efforts. She largely refrained from hysteria but was persistent in encouraging people to document their experiences. I think that is exactly the right approach.

·
Super Moderator
643 Posts
@seo68

I agree 100% that she had a great deal to do with getting people together to file complaints to get this to happen. I disagree 100% with acting like 12 year olds and personally attacking other members...and this happened on both sides so again she's not at total fault. It takes 2 to tango as they say. But when this does happen as it has happened in the past it detracts and takes away from the discussion. Blaming me for "totally ruining" the other thread because I accidentally merged the oil change into the other thread is a pretty extreme and unrealistic accusation. I apologized and she still personally attacked me about it. She keeps it up and I will ban her no matter how helpful she has been. We are all adults here and as such should act like it.

I would like to ask everyone to not make comments if they don't contribute to this thread. If you have issues with another member message me or @generaltso and let us handle it.

Now let's get this thread back on topic and find out why this recall hasn't been applied to the 18's.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Badge56 Uhhhh...driving down the interstate with three young kids in the back seat, no shoulder, a semi-truck speeding up behind you, and your vehicle suddenly shuts off without warning....yeah. I'd say "scary" is an appropriate adjective. FCA can't control a tire blow-out...not the same thing. Get your Pacifica updated.
@irpilot I'm not concerned about that. I joined this forum to see if other Pacifica drivers were experiencing the same issue and I had hoped that I would find a solution to the problem. I continued posting because I never found any other drivers who received the same diagnosis or "fix" that I received. I felt like I needed to alert other drivers who hadn't experienced the issue, and also help those who had. Eight months later and I've been quoted in a NY Times article, a petition to NHTSA has been filed, an investigation has been opened, and now over 150,000 Pacificas have been recalled. And better yet, I no longer have to drive one. So I'm quite content at this point. I won't be at all surprised if this post and/or thread is deleted...but it doesn't really matter. The recall information is all over the news and I'm glad that drivers who were unaware of this defect can be more prepared should they experience it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How long does it take the affected VIN numbers to be updated on the NHSTA website? I checked mine (bought my Pacifica May 2017 and has a build date of March or April 2017) and it says 0 recalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
How long does it take the affected VIN numbers to be updated on the NHSTA website? I checked mine (bought my Pacifica May 2017 and has a build date of March or April 2017) and it says 0 recalls.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can register for recall notices on the NHSTA website and they will send you a message of possible recalls that might affect your van. You can then log in and see if you VIN is part of the recall. At this point it might be too soon to know for sure.

I would suspect the internet should provide more information in the next week or two.

Those who are really concerned about getting the recall update done as soon as possible might want to schedule an appointment with a dealer since available appointments may be a few weeks out. In November I would have had to wait 8 weeks for a transmission appointment locally so I drove to a dealer farther away and got an appointment in a week.

When the EGR recall began I found out about it first on the forum and then checked my VIN on the NHSTA or Chrysler website. I received an email about it also within a week. I had the EGR software update done. A few weeks later I got a paper copy of the recall notice in the mail.

My guess is that all gas Pacificas (2017s first) will be offered the recall update.

Edit: I noticed it said "voluntarily recalling" so I wonder if the recall will be on the NHSTA website. Hopefully those on the forum will let us know if anyone hears anything more about the recall.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Edit: I noticed it said "voluntarily recalling" so I wonder if the recall will be on the NHSTA website.
It will be on the NHTSA website. "Voluntarily" recalling just means the recall was initiated by FCA, rather than being ordered by NHTSA. It's voluntary in the sense they're voluntarily complying with the law.

·
Registered
565 Posts
While the recall says the hybrids are unaffected, I find it interesting that both have a sudden loss in motive power and a control module is the issue (and the resolution in both is a software upgrade).

Just seems too coincidental to me... and I too think the 18s (both gas and hybrid) may also be affected as there was a post about a gas 18 stalling and another about an 18 hybrid PIM failure.

Hopefully the gas fix is simple and no one has to be at the dealer for months.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Very questionable that they aren’t recalling either 2018s or hybrids when a 2018 Hybrid has reportedly done the same thing. Makes me wonder if they even have the correct fix. Flashing the ECM is cheap (relatively) for them.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If Chrysler Cares is monitoring, maybe they can give us an idea of the recall information rollout.

As of tonight, the mopar owners page does not indicate a recall for my van.
@Aereventia -- which hybrid incident are you referring to? There have been a lot of incidents listed in these forum threads that don't exactly match the criteria (sudden shutdown / no-problem restart & normal operation / no codes.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
@Aereventia -- which hybrid incident are you referring to? There have been a lot of incidents listed in these forum threads that don't exactly match the criteria (sudden shutdown / no-problem restart & normal operation / no codes.)[/QUOTE]

I spent half an hour looking for it and didn’t find it. Unfortunately some are buried in the big thread with the oil change merge.

I may be wrong. Hope so.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If Chrysler Cares is monitoring, maybe they can give us an idea of the recall information rollout.

As of tonight, the mopar owners page does not indicate a recall for my van.

@Aereventia -- which hybrid incident are you referring to? There have been a lot of incidents listed in these forum threads that don't exactly match the criteria (sudden shutdown / no-problem restart & normal operation / no codes.)
This must be your first foray into recalls. Recalls take time and they notify you via mail. I got a recall notice for an airbag months after hearing about it in the news. Let the system work. Or you could go crazy and start another petition or call news outlets hysterically claiming how you've been wronged.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Here is the post where the owner of a 2018 PacHy said they had an issue with the PIM:

http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/474-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-issues-problems/28330-two-months-old-2018-pachy-faulty-uconnect-system-now-bad-pim-2.html#post374226

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
About this Discussion
157 Replies
38 Participants
jerry17
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing