2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Recall - Improper Engine Restart May Cause Stall or Fire

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  excelon 
#1 ·
October 19, 2018 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 18V740000
Improper Engine Restart May Cause Stall or Fire

My car falls outside of this recall...just barely. BUT, my 2018 Pac. PHEV had the exact symptoms at 1000 miles on October 6 - car slowly came to a stop, no power and smelled like it was catching on fire. Towed to the dealer. November 1st, the dealer replaced my Catalytic Converter - it had failed - with no explanation of how it could have happened. I now find this recall and have filed a complaint with the NHTSA hoping to expand the recall. I'm still waiting for the $1260 the dealer owes me for car rental while in the shop 25 days - a rental they said they would reimburse me for.

If you have had a similar problem with your car, file a complaint by phone or on-line to make sure this dangerous problem gets addressed. Look up Chrysler Pacifica recalls on the NHTSA.GOV website.

#2 ·
If you don't mind me asking, how did your car fall just outside of the recall? Do you know when the U73 recall update, presumably the cause of your failed catalytic converters, was performed on your car? I understood that to be the determiner of whether you need recall U94 or not. Do you have reason to think they're overlooking some cars with the faulty U73 update?

#3 ·
This was a well known problem, at least on this forum. There is a very long thread about it.

https://www.pacificaforums.com/foru...might-cause-catalytic-converter-problems.html

There were quite a few hybrids that had damaged catalytic converters with an accompanying burning smell. There was also a handful that actually caught fire. Chrysler knew about it too. They issued a bulletin about it at the very end of August but did not escalate it to a full blown safety recall until October. Things have settled down lately since the owners that are subject to this problem have been notified by mail that they should bring their vans in. In your case you fell into the gap and had no way of knowing of the problem unless you happened to have searched this forum or joined the Facebook Pacifica Hybrid group.

#4 ·
My VIN isn't in the recall range. I believe it was manufactured after the original range of problem vehicles was described.My vehicle was probably manufactured just after the recall period edge, but one of the following vehicles that didn't get the fix at the factory. In transit.

#6 ·
I got a recall notice before the holidays and haven't brought it in yet. This thread did make me pay attention as shortly after buying the van I did notice a strong smell of something burning one day when I got out of it. It was weird but there was no smoke and it has driven fine ever since. But I plan on bringing it into the dealer soon just in case.

#7 ·
I'm glad your vehicle is in the recall range. Though covered in the warranty - make sure they check your catalytic converter and O2 sensors upstream and downstream of it - the recall will make sure the underlying software/hardware problem is resolved. Get it in to the dealer immediately - A fire in the catalytic converter spreading out and reaching the Lithium batteries will make the car a fire bomb, essentially.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.