1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May 09,2019

NHTSA Recall Number 19V-348

Summary
The battery ground may have been built with a sealer that is used during the wire harness manufacturing process may accumulate on the wire harness tab which may cause a loss of clamp load in the battery ground joint over time. A loose battery ground joint may cause an intermittent battery ground connection possibly resulting in an intermittent loss of power steering assist with inconsistent driver steering effort and/or a loss of motive power.

Safety Risk
An intermittent loss of power steering assist may result in an inconsistent driver steering effort. A loss of motive power could also occur. Either of these conditions may increase the risk of a vehicle crash without warning.

Remedy
Disassemble and inspect the suspect ground surfaces, clean the contact surfaces as needed, and reassemble the ground joint to the specified torque.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got mine done today - didn't know anything about it until they were done supposedly doing the ball joint recall.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here is a link to the Consumer Reports description of the recall:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/chrysler-pacifica-minivan-recalled-for-stalling-steering-issues/

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) is recalling 198,731 of its 2017 to 2019 Pacifica minivans because they may abruptly stall or lose power steering because of improperly installed wiring, the automaker said.

If a vehicle stalls while in motion or if the steering effort required to turn the vehicle suddenly changes, it could lead to a crash, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Only Pacificas that have engine stop/start systems—which automatically shut off the engine when the vehicle stops—are included in the recall. FCA said that it is unaware of any injuries or crashes resulting from the problem.

Vehicles recalled: Certain 2017 to 2019 Chrysler Pacifica minivans manufactured from Oct. 11, 2016, through Nov. 20, 2018.

The problem: Because of a manufacturing issue, a wiring connection may become loose over time. As a result, the vehicle may stall or lose its power steering.

The fix: Dealers will disassemble, inspect, clean, and reassemble the connection as needed, at no charge to owners.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well I guess I’ll get another car wash out of it but still annoying

·
Registered
116 Posts
Many of Us have Done This but...

May 09,2019

Summary
The battery ground may have been built with a sealer that is used during the wire harness manufacturing process may accumulate on the wire harness tab which may cause a loss of clamp load in the battery ground joint over time. A loose battery ground joint may cause an intermittent battery ground connection possibly resulting in an intermittent loss of power steering assist with inconsistent driver steering effort and/or a loss of motive power.

Safety Risk
An intermittent loss of power steering assist may result in an inconsistent driver steering effort. A loss of motive power could also occur. Either of these conditions may increase the risk of a vehicle crash without warning.

Remedy
Disassemble and inspect the suspect ground surfaces, clean the contact surfaces as needed, and reassemble the ground joint to the specified torque.
It would be useful if FCA would provide a photo of the Ground(s) that are associated with the problem...does anyone have a photo?

·
Registered
920 Posts
May 09,2019

Summary

Safety Risk

Remedy
Thanks for posting. This could explain many of the "unexplained" problems that some owners have had and that dealerships couldn't solve.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It would be useful if FCA would provide a photo of the Ground(s) that are associated with the problem...does anyone have a photo?
All recall documents are available on the NHTSA website. Here is a link to the Chrysler remedy instructions for the recall. It contains step by step procedure and photos to perform the recall work. No parts are required, it’s strictly labor.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V348-8890.pdf

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks for posting. This could explain many of the "unexplained" problems that some owners have had and that dealerships couldn't solve.
Would be interesting to examine the connection prior to performing the recall, especially on those that are experiencing problems. Doesn't seem too hard to get to.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
All recall documents are available on the NHTSA website. Here is a link to the Chrysler remedy instructions for the recall. It contains step by step procedure and photos to perform the recall work. No parts are required, it’s strictly labor.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V348-8890.pdf
Thank you for linking the site.

What is really disturbing about this is the lack of knowledge and/or brain initiative by the inspectors and assembly personnel that would allow obvious insulation to remain on ground connectors for two years and almost 200,000 vehicles. From the supplier to the final assembly, this part was handled multiple times. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yes, thank you for this. According to NHTSA, our Pacifica's VIN is included in the V53 recall campaign. We haven't noticed any of the steering symptoms, but will take it in anyway after the campaign gets underway on June 28, 2019. The fix looks pretty simple, at least according to the pics provided by the link in Shadow5501's link, but will probably take them at least an hour since the vehicle must be up on an available lift to remove the front splash shields.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My early build 2017 without stop-start is not covered by this recall. However, now that it is known that this is a critical body ground and I know where it is thanks to the Chrysler recall repair bulletin, I am going to clean it and treat it with an anti-corrosion gel. I live in the rust belt and keep my vehicles for a long time (my 2003 Grand Caravan has 275k). Seems like a good preventative measure.

·
Registered
685 Posts
My early build 2017 without stop-start is not covered by this recall. However, now that it is known that this is a critical body ground and I know where it is thanks to the Chrysler recall repair bulletin, I am going to clean it and treat it with an anti-corrosion gel. I live in the rust belt and keep my vehicles for a long time (my 2003 Grand Caravan has 275k). Seems like a good preventative measure.
Agreed, but I wonder if yours has that ground since you don't have ESS. Can't hurt to look, and also look for other grounds to clean up while you're there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am wondering. I see that my van is included in the recall. I have not had any symptoms described in the recall so far so I guess I am not in a rush BUT do not want to have problems either. Are dealers doing this recall already?

While I have it in, I want the stupid ESS battery looked at. Mine is mostly in the battery charging mode - ESS is hardly ever active. I know there is another thread on this issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Could be just bad luck for me but since having the ground point recall completed, nothing has changed with the operation of our 2018 Pacifica (gas, w/ESS). The stop/start rarely worked before and hasn't suddenly been re-born and started working since. Still just a useless gimic on our vehicle. Glad it doesn't appear necessary for safety.

It will be interesting to see if others with ESS do suddenly have a functioning stop/start system.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Could be just bad luck for me but since having the ground point recall completed, nothing has changed with the operation of our 2018 Pacifica (gas, w/ESS). The stop/start rarely worked before and hasn't suddenly been re-born and started working since. Still just a useless gimic on our vehicle. Glad it doesn't appear necessary for safety.

It will be interesting to see if others with ESS do suddenly have a functioning stop/start system.
I think this recall fixes an issue with power steering and possibly stalling, don't think it's directly for an issue where ESS doesn't kick in. But who knows, a bad ground could affect a lot of things nowadays.

With that said, the cynic in me would wonder if the fix was even done, maybe the tech looked at the connection, saw it was shiny and called it a day.

Anyway, for your issue I'd first suspect a weak or bad ESS battery.

·
Registered
312 Posts

I think this recall fixes an issue with power steering and possibly stalling, don't think it's directly for an issue where ESS doesn't kick in. But who knows, a bad ground could affect a lot of things nowadays.

With that said, the cynic in me would wonder if the fix was even done, maybe the tech looked at the connection, saw it was shiny and called it a day.

Anyway, for your issue I'd first suspect a weak or bad ESS battery.
My understanding according to the recall notice on NHTSA is that dealers won't be starting this recall until June 28. There's a bit of labor to it in that they must put the vehicle on an available hoist and remove/replace the front splash panels on the bottom of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
...must put the vehicle on an available hoist and remove/replace the front splash panels on the bottom of the engine compartment.
Got my notice via a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration e-mail (I subscribed for my ride). Made an appointment and a day later it was fixed. I was wondering why my ride was sitting on a lift in the air most of the time!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am wondering. I see that my van is included in the recall. I have not had any symptoms described in the recall so far so I guess I am not in a rush BUT do not want to have problems either. Are dealers doing this recall already?

While I have it in, I want the stupid ESS battery looked at. Mine is mostly in the battery charging mode - ESS is hardly ever active. I know there is another thread on this issue.
This recall repair fixed my ESS. I was wondering why it didn't work very often. The digital display always said battery charging. I wondered if it was a corroded battery terminal and looked at the batteries and all the cables but didn't know where to start. Then I got this recall notice and wondered....... I even said something to the service rep about it. Sure enough, even when I stopped to pull out of the dealership, the engine shut off and it has worked great ever since. Yea!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts