2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Recurring Paint Bubbling Possible?

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  SWPacLim 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, I have searched the forums and done a fair bit of reading. I have the paint bubbling issue on the hood and I will be taking my car in to the body shop to take pictures to submit to Chrysler for approval. I'm just wondering though. From what I have read, it sounds like it's an issue with the way the paint was originally applied. That means even if they fix the rust, it's very likely to come back in a couple of years or shorter, right? Has anyone had their hood repainted/replaced only to have the issue come back? How do you deal with that? I guess the car is still under the 5 year corrosion warranty for everyone but I'm just worried about going forward once the warranty expires.

#2 ·
When they fix it they grind the OEM paint totally off down to the metal and repaint along those edges, so the original issue with how the paint was applied is a moot point.

#6 ·
So hold the phone. Got the Pacifica washed today, and the paint bubble is back. Great.

#8 ·
Yeah, really sucks. Maybe 8 months ago? Not going to mess with it again, end of the lease is December.

#9 ·
Are they repairing this corrosion under warranty? I read the warranty and it .states that it only covers body corrosion when it goes all the way through the metal and creates a hole, at least that is the way I understand the warranty. I am asking because I have corrosion on my hood.

#10 ·
The bubbling is not corrosion. Your hood is aluminum. It is a manufacturing process defect, and Chrysler is repairing it as such. The perforation warranty does not apply.

#12 ·
Hello Everyone,

Please feel free to follow up with us privately if you have any additional questions.

@NORMKENN @SWPacLim

Hello Everyone,
Regarding the hood corrosion discussion, there was a TSB released last year that assists with addressing this concern. If you have any additional question please feel free to follow up with us privately.

Lamar
ChryslerCares

#13 ·
Thank you for your reply. We have not yet addressed this issue with the dealer. At this point I was just trying to educate myself on the issue before calling it to the attention of the dealer. My wife just purchased this car about a month ago as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle. So far it has a couple of minor issues, but over all we are pleased with the Pacifica.

#15 ·
I have had my hood repaired and repainted and the dealer/Chrysler paid for it. The estimate I got was 685.00. Color is tusk white and the body shop matched it very well. Has a few little clear coat micro bubbles but I think I can get rid of those with a light clay rub. Now we’ll just have to see if the problem comes back.

#19 ·
Big issue with having to have all of these panels repainted is it impacts the value of our vans

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.