2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this isn't the correct place for this post let me know. I have a 2018 pacifica with about 50K miles on it. About a month ago my wife tried to start it and it wouldn't start. I got home from work and tried myself and it would not start by pressing the start button. It would only turn over maybe a half turn and stop as soon as you released the start button. I held the start button down and it started up but the red security light stayed illuminated for the rest of the day. The next day the light was off and no issues.
It did the same thing the other day only this time it wouldn't start by holding down the start button either. i tried several combinations of things like different key fob etc and still no luck. There was not message about key fob battery low or not detected. I finally got it to start and I may have pressed the button with the fob when it did. I cut it off again only for it to do the same thing. I got it started the last time and took it to the dealer as I still have the extended warranty on it. The red light stayed on the entire time with no other error messages or lights. What triggers this security error and what corrects it? I ask because the local dealership I do not trust. We recently took it in for the recall on the autostart system and they did not fix it. I told them to check that out again too. I've tried searching this problem but didn't really come up with much. I checked the battery and it checked good but I did not do a load test. Seems if the battery was the issue a month ago or so it wouldn't have lasted this long with no more problems. Anyone know of anything related to this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you take the battery out and load test it separately from the mani battery ?
As I mentioned, I did not load test the battery but at this point there really is no evidence to support a bad batter. For the problem to have occured twice over a couple of months period and be resolved without the introduction of another source of current and voltage, that doesn't really support a failed battery. This time the attempted starts were far more than the first time and if the battery would have been weak to begin with, it would have been weakened more by the attempted starts. i don't see where it would have started on its on after an hour or so with no introduction of outside power.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Well if you don’t start at the simplest point and then you work your way to net step . You look at fob batteries , vehicle batteries . Body controller modules . Like I said it’s your time and money but the methodology states start from hard contact points and work your way to the modules, your call .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While starting at the simpliest point is logical, it does not make sense to begin with something that there is zero evidence to support its failure. I know my original post is long and in my experience the longer the post the less chance of someone reading all of it before replying. Keyfob also seems to be out because there is an error message programmed in that describes either keyfob not present or keyfob batter low. The body control module would be a more likely candidate considering the recent recall for the autostart system, and the fact this van has experience problems with the auto start system since new with 8 miles on it at delivery. I think the BCM might be too deep though as it likely lies in the security control that the BCM controls.I really believe there is outside interferrence that is setting the security system into an alarm state, I am just not sure what sequence of events that might be. Not really much time and money, since it is still covered by warranty I chose not to spend much time on it and let the dealer have it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok if it’s the battery, what is changing between pressing and releasing the start button and pressing and holding the start button? The start sequence is initiated by pressing and releasing the button and the engine starts. In this case as soon as you release the button it stops turning over. If you press and hold the button it continues to turn over until it cranks. How does holding the start button in compensate for low battery voltage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,106 Posts
My first step when trouble shooting is to remove both the main and aux batteries and have them load tested (Free at any auto parts store). A weak battery can cause all sorts of weird seemingly unrelated issues. They way the main and aux batteries are designed is an issue on these vehicles. The smaller AUX battery often fails and because it is electrically connected to the main battery it will start killing the main battery as well.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Ok if it’s the battery, what is changing between pressing and releasing the start button and pressing and holding the start button? The start sequence is initiated by pressing and releasing the button and the engine starts. In this case as soon as you release the button it stops turning over. If you press and hold the button it continues to turn over until it cranks. How does holding the start button in compensate for low battery voltage?

[/QUOTE
You came on the site asking for perspective from people , and now your basically arguing with people . The electrical system is comprised of miles of harness , computers , relays , and as such you start from the least likely to the most problematic. The vehicle , which by the way is yours , is going to cost time and money to identity the problem or problems . If there are no hard codes stored it makes the problem that much more problematic and costly to fix . So maybe instead of the responses you should try the batteries independently bench tested for load . Following that finding you work your way to fobs , start stop button on the instrument panel and so on . The lack of acknowledgment and rebuttals just makes the post that much more plain stupid . If your going to post and just try and rebut the responses just close the thread because obviously your too smart for some of us on here , it’s your money and time good luck .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not arguing at all just simply following logic. Dealer contacted me this morning finally and it’s not the batteries. They are telling me now that it needs a software update and some relay in the starting system

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not arguing but if you want to help it would be good if you actually read the post. Your responses ask questions that weee clearly answered in the original post. I understand you want to help and I am open to it I just don’t really like knee jerk responses that ignore what’s in the post. I’m sorry you have not been able to answer the questions asked and feel slighted at the same time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me interject here. Not a automotive mechanic of any sort, but own a 2019 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus and experienced two cases of the Auto Start/Stop being disabled.

The dealership initially stated it was the Smaller Battery, but that the Larger Battery was bad now and under warranty replaced them.
They also mentioned something about a software update which they applied.

Less than 6 months later I had the same issue again.
This second time they looked a bit more in depth and discovered a wire from the battery to to ground (IIRC) was pinched, and about to break.
Supposedly they fixed the wired and the issue was resolved.
So far I've not had any more issues.

I say this to point out that if the Technicians are not experienced enough, thorough and careful in their diagnosis something could be missed.
This second visit for the same issue I complained enough after throwing back at them what they told me and all the research I did online about this issue.
This time they put the senior technician on the job and that was when they discovered the pinched wire, and they stated to me that it could have been done during the building of the vehicle based on their observation.

There could be something else to your equation that's causing your problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that response it is incredibly helpful. I will start looking into the ground. I initially posted because similar to what you described, my past dealings with this dealership were not that good. Thanks again, this is good information

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just another update. Ended up the auto start light was still coming on intermittently. Took the van to another Chrysler dealership. They are saying the hood latch switch is bad and will cause the auto start to not function properly along with causing the service engine light to come on. The service engine light came on a few days after the first dealer had it. So far so good on the batteries

1 - 14 of 14 Posts