2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Red turtle in my 2nd day of ownership

Tags
red turtle
19K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  KPC123 
#1 ·
We picked up our Pacifica Hybrid Limited on Friday (1/3/2020) night; the next morning when we pressed the Start button, I heard the engine sound, then check engine light and red turtle sign were shown on dashboard. Turned off the van immediately and waited about 10 minutes to start the van again, the check engine light and red turtle sign were still on, and I noticed that the electric range is not shown while the battery was at 98%.
Contacted the sales person about the error, he asked me to drive the van, if possible, to dealer which is about 2 miles away.
After 30 minutes I turned it on, the check engine light was there, but it started up quietly (no engine sound), and the electric range was shown again. The van seemed function normally, then I drove it to the dealer without thinking much.
Waited at the dealer for more than 4 hrs, but they could not find out what exact reason caused the issue, just saying one of the cylinder misfired, I asked if the van should operate in electric only when battery is charged and driving in low speed. They said I need to come back on Monday (1/6/2020) to have full test.
During the weekend, we drove the car briefly, about 10 miles, everything seemed working fine, so we decided to not go to dealer if nothing happens again.
However, this afternoon (1/6//2020) after we went to grocery shopping in Costco, the red turtle sign came up again and I heard the engine sound when the van started up.
I borrowed a ODBII scanner and checked the error code, that is P0B55, I googled it mean "Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Battery 6 Circuit Performance".
Contacted the sales person again about it, he said I need to drop off the van tomorrow for full test.

Am I getting a Lemon? Is there anyone who experienced the similar issue?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Is this a 2020, or one that has been sitting for years?

Reactions: m0ebius604
#5 ·
When the problem occurs, the electric range is gone even the battery is not drained, and it starts up with engine noise.
With the error code read from OBDII scanner, I dont know if the hybrid system somehow cannot get the power from the battery.

By the way, I dropped off the van to the dealer for full check this morning, let's see how long it will take to fix the issue. Or I should hope it takes more than 30 days to apply the lemon law!?

#6 ·
When the problem occurs, the electric range is gone even the battery is not drained, and it starts up with engine noise.
With the error code read from OBDII scanner, I dont know if the hybrid system somehow cannot get the power from the battery.

By the way, I dropped off the van to the dealer for full check this morning, let's see how long it will take to fix the issue. Or I should hope it takes more than 30 days to apply the lemon law!?
This is far too early to be even thinking about a lemon law. Also, it's a rare salesperson that really takes an interest in a highly technical problem. Your first dealer contact should be the service advisor assigned to handle this problem, and then the service manager.

@ChryslerCares, get onto this so your customer can get some factory help. I suspect this dealer may be in the tall weeds.

#9 ·
I really don’t think remorse for buying it as it’s just a vehicle and assembled as such . Hate to say it but things happen from any manufacturer whether it’s Tesla, bmw, Mercedes, Lamborghini, etc. We as consumer always keep wanting and pushing the industry itself to produce technology faster and faster to market . I’d you don’t believe me go to the Tesla forum and see their pages of problems .

#14 ·
Here is an update about my 2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
The service advisor called me yesterday night (1/10/2020) my van is ready to pickup, then I drove the loaner to the dealer this morning (1/11/2020) planning to drive my van back home.
However, the service rep took 30 mins and got back to me saying they cannot move the car out, he looked so embarrassing and asked for my paper work to see what issue was logged down.
I checked with him what was happening and what has been fixed, he said after he changed the gear to reverse, the car did not move, and Red Turtle sign was shown to him, that was his first time seeing it.
What they did in last few days was just checking the battery system if anything gets loose. The battery is not replaced.
It sounds like the service guys there do not have much experience fixing the hybrid, it makes me even more worry how long it will take to resolve the issue completely.
At the end, I have to drive the loaner back home.

#19 ·
Our 2017 is being bought back. 46000 miles on it in 2 years then battery issues. Lemon law applies but there is a calculation for price reduction and you have to buy a new FCA product. Our ordered 2020 pachybrid arrived at dealer today ordered 9/21/19. It took four months from May to August to make final determination. Then another nearly 5 months till now. Deemed too costly to replace the battery and there were none available although I here from my dealer that has changed.

#20 ·
Deemed too costly to replace the battery
That's nuts and they expect us to pay for them to be replaced when out of warranty when it is too costly for them? I guess I will be getting rid of mine before the 100000-mile mark.

#24 ·
Yes by the buyback agreement I was obligated to buy a new FCA product. We need a minivan with a special needs child. I have spent 64000 on two minivans now and worry about the same thing happening again. I am working with. Chrysler contact to attempt further resolution.

#25 ·
Here is an update for my case.
After 30+ days in the dealer, the service center called me last Friday to pick my Pacifica.
They said the battery system was replaced and they tested driving for 200+ miles to make sure everything work, I dont know if it is common to drive that long distance though.
Meanwhile, we contacted a lawyer to file the lemon law case, today the lawyer contact me that Chrysler has agreed to repurchase my car.

#28 ·
Here is an update for my case.
After 30+ days in the dealer, the service center called me last Friday to pick my Pacifica.
They said the battery system was replaced and they tested driving for 200+ miles to make sure everything work, I dont know if it is common to drive that long distance though.
Meanwhile, we contacted a lawyer to file the lemon law case, today the lawyer contact me that Chrysler has agreed to repurchase my car.
Sounds like you have a tough decision to make. On the one hand you might say that the van has the kinks all ironed out and should be ready to give you years of service. On the other hand, I assume you must have paid the lawyer so it seems silly not to take advantage of the deal you’ve been offered. Keep us informed as to what your decision is and how things work out.

#26 ·
That’s why I bought a 7/160 Fca warranty and battery has 160000 or 10 yrs . After 5 yrs I’ll dump it and get something new , govt here was giving out 14 thousand rebate on it here in Ontario ??. I think the current rebate is 8 grand . New 2021 pacifica with pinnacle trim or a Tesla x with free supercharging with bigger 400 mile battery .

#27 ·
Either of those would be nice!

I’m going to ride it out. I’m saving min $5000 a year from my last vehicle in fuel and I’ve set a goal - I want to Pay for the vehicle with fuel money.. So it would be like a free vehicle in the end.

Now I’m paying for 1.9L/100km (125mpg) Which works out to about $51/month gas/hydro combined.

#30 ·
No offence, but I think you bailed too soon. This is a cutting edge car, and batteries are almost out of Chrysler's control. If you got a free loaner, I'm not sure what the big deal is waiting. That said, I'm annoyed I got white leather instead of black with my dark blue 2020. They said black wasn't available for this color, which I questioned and asked why I wasn't informed (unless factory didn't tell them). Will be rolling up the kms soon.

#34 ·
Front seats are only 4 bolts each and come out easy through the sliding doors no problem, the middle row are meant for the owner to remove, and the rear seats are a seat frame assembly that is mounted on dowls and a few bolts.

All but the fronts are manual seats too so no unexpected software issue. Plug and play. :)

I doubt black is not an option in any of trim levels. Mine was a miss build, ordered as black, build sheet spec’d black, showed up with white?

I’m no expert with options and such. Maybe another can comment.

#38 · (Edited)
Hello @ChryslerCares,
Got the RED TURTLE On a 5 lane highway today with 5 kids from my neighborhood in the car!!

I have 7000 miles on a 7 month old 2020 Pacifica Hybrid and we were in heavy stop & go traffic with the battery down to 0%. The car didn't seem to like one of the hard stops and then the CEL (Check Engine Light) came on. About a minute after that on another slow down in traffic, a series of messages flashed on the screen along with the red turtle. I was forced to pull over BARELY onto shoulder. Terrifying experience. Seriously Chrylser???

@ChryslerCares ... your Hybrid Pacifica is putting lives in jeopardy!

Not letting anybody else in my family drive this car until it is resolved. I am also going to be setting up a dashcam with a view of the dashboard to capture this madness when it happens again. Fortunately, I was just able to fire up the cell phone camera and capture this picture as I was trundling along full gas pedal down at 3mph.

I am absolutely mortified to put anybody else in this thing besides myself now. Absolute loss of confidence in this thing. Until this event, I thought the Pacifica was the greatest vehicle we had ever had (seriously!). Loved the plug in hybrid aspect, but this incident really shook me up. Imagine this happening in the middle of a LEFT TURN with ONCOMING traffic??

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

#40 ·
@njpacifica,

We're terribly sorry to hear this happened, please feel free to contact us privately if you would like to discuss further.

Lamar
Chrysler Cares

#41 · (Edited)
@njpacifica,

We're terribly sorry to hear this happened, please feel free to contact us privately if you would like to discuss further.

Lamar
Chrysler Cares
wow. CHRYLSER IS TERRIBLY SORRY TO HEAR THIS HAPPENED AND THAT THEY ALMOST KILLED MY FAMILY TODAY.

WOW. TERRIBLY SORRY???? I DON'T THINK ANYBODY SHOULD EVER BUY A CHRYSLER HYBRID UNTIL THEY FIX THIS ISSUE

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE CHRYLSER'S CEO AND HIS FAMILY IN A PACIFICA HYBRID GOING UP A 6% GRADE ON INTERSTATE I-280 IN THE 2nd LEFTMOST LANE WHEN THE POWER CUTS OUT LEAVING THE CAR CRAWLING AT 10MPH.

They BARELY reached the right shoulder before the power cut out completely. With cars whizzing by at 75mph, it just wasn't possible to reach the left shoulder.

About 2 months ago around March/April 2021, we took it into Chrysler service and they said it needed a firmware upgrade, which they applied. Wow. That fixed it!

WOW Great Minivan Chrysler!

Let's make family cars that stall in the middle of interstates!!

This actually happened 4 times on the trip home. TOTAL DEAD STOP.
4 TIMES

Pictures and videos to follow....

#44 ·
Thanks. I can't even begin to tell you the stress level of getting that phone call from your family that the engine stalled out and shut down in the middle of an interstate. I talked to my daughter today. It turns out that because I had warned her a while back that the minivan had lost power, she had the presence of mind to immediately start shifting lanes when the power dropped. She said that had she not known, she might have persisted with staying in the lane and hoping to regain motor power. If that had happened, they likely would have been stalled in the middle of the interstate just around a bend.

When they finally got home, I was just infuriated at Chrysler for pawning off lame "repair" of the problem back in March/April. A betrayal of trust is probably the best description of how I feel right now. Minivans should be the ultimate safety vehicle and Chrysler is failing miserably at this Pacifica Hybrid.

#45 ·
I can only imagine how upsetting this would be. Terrible situation you’re in. There was another owner who recently posted having a similar experience:

Perhaps you can reach out to him if that would be helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.