2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chrysler Pacifica Limited
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, everyone.

I have an important question, that might make me sell my current Pacifica for the 2021 model,..

If you already have seen the new, large and faster (x5) Screen/uConnect which is going to be on the 2021 model,.. is it possible to buy and hopefully be able to upgrade the older one in the 2020 model? I mean, I just bought my car, and I really think the new one is far better as it seems. I know the screen is wider; but the black frame/cover of the screen and the A/C vent is of the same size, so there might be a chance of upgrade!

From the videos and the pictures I have seen, the A/C Vent seems to be smaller in the new 2021 model..

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
No one but a few Chrysler insiders would know the answer to your question for sure. An educated guess answer would be no. The whole computer system is from a different vendor (Samsung), and the operating system software is now Android by Google. It's likely that the various control modules in the vehicle are addressed differently also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Greetings, everyone.

I have an important question, that might make me sell my current Pacifica for the 2021 model,..

If you already have seen the new, large and faster (x5) Screen/uConnect which is going to be on the 2021 model,.. is it possible to buy and hopefully be able to upgrade the older one in the 2020 model? I mean, I just bought my car, and I really think the new one is far better as it seems. I know the screen is wider; but the black frame/cover of the screen and the A/C vent is of the same size, so there might be a chance of upgrade!

From the videos and the pictures I have seen, the A/C Vent seems to be smaller in the new 2021 model..
When are the 2021 models coming out? September correct?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
If a display screen makes you want to trade in your brand new car, then yeah go ahead. But be prepared for the first year’s issues as with anything new. I am not judging you, but just want to be sure that it is only for to the screen that you want to trade, not for any other features.
For whatever it’s worth my screen works perfectly fast and fine for me. Not sure what 5 times faster means. If you crave a different user interface then it’s up to you. However it’s my thinking that if you were so easily swayed by a mid model refresh why did you decide to buy in the first place. I would have waited until I’ve seen the refresh and decide for myself if it’s worth for me.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah, "tiny details exaggeration syndrome" comes to mind. You're willing to take a $10k (just a guess for first year depreciation + transaction cost) hit for a new screen?

So the new one is better? So what, you can change climate controls a fraction of a second faster? If someone spends so much time looking at their screen, that seems like a traffic hazard...

I mean, it's your money. But I have better things to do with ten grand.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Greetings, everyone.

Hi Noa,

We are sorry to hear of your concerns! If you are unable to receive more feedback from here, we do recommend following up with your nearest servicing dealer to discuss your options!

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
36 Posts
A couple of thoughts...

1. You'd have to replace the head unit and the screen, which a cursory search online shows to be ~$1250.
2. Even if the physical items fit, there's no guarantee of functional compatibility with 100% of your current Pacifica's systems. So you may get the faster processor and bigger screen, but break something else.
3. I don't think anyone's going to know for sure until 2021s are being delivered.

If it's that important to you and you can't wait until 2021s start showing up at dealers, then order your 2021 Pacifica :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
A retrofit would probably work, they probably didn't change the electrical system for a new headunit in a Mid cycle refresh. The programming would be the issue, along with bezels, I'm guessing someone will sell a kit, but maybe not for the Pacifica due to volume. Ram most likely.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If a display screen makes you want to trade in your brand new car, then yeah go ahead. But be prepared for the first year’s issues as with anything new. I am not judging you, but just want to be sure that it is only for to the screen that you want to trade, not for any other features.
For whatever it’s worth my screen works perfectly fast and fine for me. Not sure what 5 times faster means. If you crave a different user interface then it’s up to you. However it’s my thinking that if you were so easily swayed by a mid model refresh why did you decide to buy in the first place. I would have waited until I’ve seen the refresh and decide for myself if it’s worth for me.
Yeah, "tiny details exaggeration syndrome" comes to mind. You're willing to take a $10k (just a guess for first year depreciation + transaction cost) hit for a new screen?

So the new one is better? So what, you can change climate controls a fraction of a second faster? If someone spends so much time looking at their screen, that seems like a traffic hazard...

I mean, it's your money. But I have better things to do with ten grand.
Wow, if it would make the climate control fan respond faster it would almost be worth it for that alone! I HATE that it takes 3 seconds before I know if I've selected the fan speed I was hoping for! (Unless I take my eyes off the road to look at the screen AND have a feel for what the numbers mean in sensory terms. Neither of which is required for a normal fan control.)
That's one of those "Just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you SHOULD" design features. Don't they have ergonomics engineers anywhere these days?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I HATE that it takes 3 seconds before I know if I've selected the fan speed I was hoping for!
The same goes for USB control of my iPhone audio: Touching the [ Shuffle ] button on the upper-right of the media screen can lag a few seconds... and at times, I inadvertently re-turn-off Shuffle because I thought it didn't take the first time. VERY frustrating... AND distracting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For real. Everyone wanted the '17 Pacifica, but then the '18 came out with AndroidAuto & Apple CarPlay, and that was a game changer. Everyone was furious that they didn't wait. Then years later, a 3rd party made a new headunit that worked with the '17 that had those 2 features, but it's $1500. Should have waited in the first place. That '21 looks nice. The '20 does also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts