2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just make sure they're secured well enough that they won't go flying if there's a collision.
Yeah, the second row headrests do not have multiple lock points. They only lock in the fully inserted position. As a (very part time) Auxiliary Police Officer of over 13 years I have been on more accident scenes than I would like to remember where unsecured objects became harmful projectiles. I have been storing my removed second row headrests in the Stow and Go bins. The forces involved with a collision are staggering.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I removed the lock ring but not the cable as pictured in post 1 picture 2. Therefore they go up and down but don't come out.
Use your own judgement I suppose, but in my opinion the plastic cable connector is not designed to hold the headrest in place under the forces that can be experienced during a collision - especially a major one. The headrest posts present a significant impaling threat if it becomes a projectile during a collision - Newton's second and third laws of physics being what they are and all...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Using a Britax car seat behind the driver and the headrest really pushes the car seat forward. I removed the snap connectors and the car seat fits much better but now the tilt forward function does not work.

Any idea why anyone?

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Using a Britax car seat behind the driver and the headrest really pushes the car seat forward. I removed the snap connectors and the car seat fits much better but now the tilt forward function does not work.

Any idea why anyone?
I was able to get a Britax in a good position by reclining the seat a little bit. I didn't have to remove the headrest at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ah. I should have tried that first but it didn't occur to me.

Ideally the seat would have headrest removed as I will eventually have all three fwd facing seats on second row but the passenger side ones need to tilt and now it doesn't.

I will check the tension but of the two cables that are visible, which one would you disconnect if you are looking at driver side second row seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ah. I should have tried that first but it didn't occur to me.

Ideally the seat would have headrest removed as I will eventually have all three fwd facing seats on second row but the passenger side ones need to tilt and now it doesn't.

I will check the tension but of the two cables that are visible, which one would you disconnect if you are looking at driver side second row seat?

Mine was the cable on the left side. If you start to lift out the headrest the attached cable is connected to the right side post and will pull taunt such that the headrest cannot be removed without opening the plastic coupling to separate the cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ah, thanks. I undid both and think I need more tension in the right hand side now.

Doh!

Thanks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ah, thanks. I undid both and think I need more tension in the right hand side now.

Doh!

Thanks

Yeah, there is only one cable to release to pull out the headrests. The other cable is probably the tilt release cable, that should fix your issue. And I second the total removal of the headrests, I wouldn't want them hanging on by the release cable, not a good idea. Mine are keeping the carpet floor mats company in my garage.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just to be sure are the 2nd row headrests not even adjustable??
I tried moving them and they barely move up and down maybe one click or so. Is that how it is supposed to be??

·
Registered
999 Posts
Last thought here... after reading the CarSeatLady website, she made an excellent observation: Some car seats may REQUIRE the headrest to be in place to help the upper half of the car seat from flexing. I have a metal frame in my current car seats, but the Safety1st car seat before that was all plastic and did have some degree of flexing. Also best to read the car seat manual before removing the headrests.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just to be sure are the 2nd row headrests not even adjustable??
I tried moving them and they barely move up and down maybe one click or so. Is that how it is supposed to be??
I wish they were. Even just an inch. Just enough to make that Tether strap fit between the seat and the bottom. One would think with Stow and Go they would figure a way to drop in automatically when you go to stow it. None of my T&C's with stow and go had and adjustable headrest in the 2nd row either. But it was easier for me to tuck that strap between them to reach that rear anchor than it is on this Pacifica. Glad I don't take the seat out very often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I followed your directions but our BRAND NEW pacifica limited has a metal ring stopper" preventing the head restraint rods from exciting the seat. I'm not a mechanic so pardon the lack of correct terms. The metal ring stopper in a different color mental. I tried to use pliers and a wrench. No dice.
I got the car at the dealership. Had issues with the carseat and wanted to remove the headrest. We had 4 employees try to remove it. They came to this forum and removed the panel. They encountered the metal ring and said, "No dice". We still have the head rests. Touring L-Plus.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the car at the dealership. Had issues with the carseat and wanted to remove the headrest. We had 4 employees try to remove it. They came to this forum and removed the panel. They encountered the metal ring and said, "No dice". We still have the head rests. Touring L-Plus.
This is honestly one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a Pacifica...want to be able to use the latch/tether system vs the seat belts, but our tether buckle wouldn't fit through on the demo model they let me borrow for a couple hours. I figured once I actually bought/leased my own, I could jam it through with some tools...something I would feel comfortable doing to my own vehicle, but not one I had to return shortly.

·
Registered
293 Posts
By 4 employees, were these just sales people and not service techs?

The metal ring is a star lock washer. I did not take a picture of mine when I removed it but it is something like this reference image. It takes a minute of finagling with a pair of needle nose pliers, but it does come off. Get a grip on it and pull straight down with some oomf until it cooperates. I really did not find it to be difficult at all - there is a ton of room to work in behind the seat, and the star washer is front and center staring at you with nothing around to really get in the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
It was really easy to remove these, took 5 min. Stored them in the well for the 2nd row seats. Just remember when moving the seat forward it dips into the well, could slightly crush something if you put too much into the wells and use this feature to access the third row. Thanks for the all the posts, made it super easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
worked for me: thank for the info
1st removed the back cover
2nd: removed the cable from the mechanism
3rd: used a hammer and a screwdriver to remove the metallic ring
4th: pull out the whole thing.
5th brittax seat now fits perfectly

will replace the headrest back in a few years lol

Attachments