2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Guardian
Nice DIY video...thanks for taking the time. I am also impressed by your one handed dexterity!
I was expecting him to say "I'm going to put the camera down real quick", but instead he handled the whole thing like a champ with one hand. Thank you for the video.
Hey! And I'm right handed and did it with my left. Lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info, mine had the lockring, pulled with with pressure plyers. Now the diono car seat fits perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many thanks to all the pioneers in Pacifica car seat installation. It was almost as easy as the video (pg. 5) made it appear. My plastic clips were stubborn and it took some force to make them and the plastic access panel let go as I was being careful not to break anything. I had the metal ring clip and it popped off very easily with a medium Knipex I had handy. The cable easily came apart exactly as the video shows. Easy peasy once someone does the hard ground breaking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm personally very uncomfortable with the headrests in the *front* seats. I'm shorter (5'3") so they hit me right in the top of the back of the head, forcing my chin down or requiring that I sit forward to avoid contact - neither option is comfortable. So I laid my seat back (for more room above the headrest), pulled the headrest out, turned it around, & put it back in. It wasn't locked in, like the 2nd row ones apparently are. This configuration gives me comfortable support and still provides whiplash protection in the event of an accident. What I'm wondering is, since the 2nd row headrests are obviously different (no click-lock) could they still be turned around in the same way I did my front ones? If so, could they be re-secured for safety with the thing you disconnected? This would also give the advantage of having headrests in place when an adult sits there, yet ones that don't lean forward & intrude on carseats. I say this as one whose carseats are in & out to accommodate a variety of passengers, from adults to grandchildren in carseats & boosters & back again. (I have one designated seat that always has a carseat-- pains in the neck to install!!-- and the others have a rotating status based on who's visiting.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just watched the video on removing 2nd row headrests. I see that the cable likely could not be re-secured if the headrest were turned around. How safe would it be if the headrest were put back in, reversed, without securing it inside the seat? Obviously, my front ones didn't have that option. (Tho come to think of it, tho I've turned headrests around in numerous vehicles, I can't recall now whether I turned these or had the dealer do it before delivery. I know it was an issue I mentioned to the salesperson as we test-drove.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
sto and go...well if seats are three across im never gonna use sto and go....so why am i so attracted to it..lol
Because when the seats aren't folded down, the wells make awesome storage bins. :) Tons of space, & a nice place to stash items you don't want seen from the outside, like shopping items, leather jackets, & extra purses.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm personally very uncomfortable with the headrests in the *front* seats. I'm shorter (5'3") so they hit me right in the top of the back of the head, forcing my chin down or requiring that I sit forward to avoid contact - neither option is comfortable. So I laid my seat back (for more room above the headrest), pulled the headrest out, turned it around, & put it back in.
This is genius, by the way. I'm from a family of small people (I'm not that small myself, but most the women in my family are 5'1"-ish), so your idea might come in handy. I wish I could do this to airline seats; they force me to look down the whole flight too. I'd be a little concerned about the headrest coming off in an accident though. Maybe duplicating the notches on the other side of the posts (staggered so you don't have back-to-back notches) would work. You'd have to make sure you didn't fundamentally weaken it though. A carefully used die-grinder could do it, or a machine shop could very professionally reproduce it on an end-mill for 30 mins labor.

As for your idea about flipping the 2nd row headrests around, I wouldn't give up on that idea yet. If you don't clip the connector back on to the side of the seat, it may have enough slack to reach the cable coming in from the other side.

I have a hybrid on order, so I don't have one of these to look at, and when I get mine it will have completely different seats, since the Hybrid doesn't have Stow-n-Go 2nd-row seats.

Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As for your idea about flipping the 2nd row headrests around, I wouldn't give up on that idea yet. If you don't clip the connector back on to the side of the seat, it may have enough slack to reach the cable coming in from the other side....

Good luck.
Thanks. :) I was wondering if, given how close the headrests are to the ceiling & how long the metal stems are that are attached to the rests, whether they could even come off anyway. (I mean, obviously they could in an accident, but pretty much anything can come apart then.) Still, they added that cable -- and later a ring -- for a reason. And FWIW, I tried pulling my driver's headrest off again & did *not* have to open the seat or disconnect anything. So either it never locked with a cable, or the dealer undid it for me. Maybe someone whose front seat headrests haven't been turned around could tell us how they come originally. But I apologize, this digresses from the original topic of the thread. I did just want to mention that IF it's safe (or could be made safe), turning the headrests around would help accommodate both carseats and adults. :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks. :) I was wondering if, given how close the headrests are to the ceiling & how long the metal stems are that are attached to the rests, whether they could even come off anyway. (I mean, obviously they could in an accident, but pretty much anything can come apart then.) Still, they added that cable -- and later a ring -- for a reason. And FWIW, I tried pulling my driver's headrest off again & did *not* have to open the seat or disconnect anything. So either it never locked with a cable, or the dealer undid it for me. Maybe someone whose front seat headrests haven't been turned around could tell us how they come originally. But I apologize, this digresses from the original topic of the thread. I did just want to mention that IF it's safe (or could be made safe), turning the headrests around would help accommodate both carseats and adults. :)
The cable is not a retention mechanism - it is part of the stow and go system on second row seats only, and causes the headrest to fold forward when the seat is being stowed. The second row headrests, when fully seated are clipped in place with a keyed indent on the pole. You have to initially start the headrest removal with the release button(s) on the point of entry on the top of the seatback. Unlike the front seats, there is only one lock point on the second row headrests at the fully installed position as they are not adjustable. Since the front seats do not have any stow and go capability, there would be no reason for the cable mechanism to be installed.

It has been discussed previously in this thread, but without the headrests properly installed and locked in place, they are potential projectiles in a collision. The lock indents only function when the headrests are installed in their intended forward facing direction. I have served part time as an Auxiliary Police Officer for about 13 years now, and been on a lot of accident scenes in my time to see all manner of unsecured items become lethal projectiles. No amount of comfort or convenience could convince me to intentionally turn these headrests with their long metal poles into unsecured objects to impale me or my passengers - either the front or rear seats. It is amazing what can come loose with the forces involved in a crash.

It took me a while to start getting used to the newer headrest designs, but they are the result of National Highway Traffic Safety Administration safety standards that went into effect for the 2009 model year that were intended to help reduce whiplash injuries in rear-end collisions. The rule established a higher minimum height requirement for front seats and a requirement limiting the distance between the back of an occupant's head and the head restraint. Some manufacturer designs seem to balance the newer safety requirements with comfort better than others - for instance I simply cannot stand the headrests in the larger GM SUVs like the Traverse/Acadia. At 5'9" I find the Pacifica pretty comfortable, but I would pass on buying a vehicle before attempting to turn the headrests around to make it more comfortable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know what you're saying, tsax6010. I'm an EMT. Everything becomes a projectile in a crash, and of incredible force due to the multiplied mass. But some of the worst damage occurs from glass-- I'm guessing no one is removing that. Safety glass has come a long way, but injuries come from windshields, steering columns, even gear shifts, airbags, and other passengers. I'm aware of purse placement (strapped in) and heavy or corrosive items (milk, cat litter, bleach), which I put down in the storage well & lodged up against the back of the back seat so they don't whack me in the back of the head in a sudden stop or if I'm rear-ended. Anything can become a weapon at high velocities and abrupt deceleration. If you're in any accident catastrophic enough to dislodge a seat enough to dump out a headrest on rods so long that you can't remove them without tipping the seat back (as is the case with the front ones), you're in a situation where you need to be a praying person, because there's so much cabin damage you're in big trouble already. And even a small purse can do enough damage to kill at high speeds & sudden deceleration from collisions. I'm actually more concerned about anyone storing those spiked headrests in the stow-n-go bins, with those folding plastic lids & little latches, which feel flimsy to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not an engineer, so I can't speak to the safety issue professionally. With the standards for headrests being universal, I find it hard to sit in *any* car seat without turning the headrest around or using a large pillow in my back, or that odd, jutting angle stabs me in the back of the head & forces my chin down. For my personal choice, not recommending to anyone else, I find it safer to reverse them than to remove them, as the odds of an accident that can cause whiplash (which can occur at 5 mph) are much higher than of a catastrophic one. (Tho I was in one of those, hit head-on by someone speeding in the wrong lane. The steering wheel broke my face. The flat headrest behind me limited the coup-contracoup injury and thankfully, I am here to write this post. The injuries sustained in that accident make it even harder, physically, to tolerate the bizarre angle of the new headrest standards shoving a short person's head down.)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for all the pics. I bought a used 2017 - never checked the sto 'n go. Got 'r home to find 2nd row passenger headrest does not retract/fold - so it won't sto in the tub.

I popped it off and apart - found the release cable casing torn/stretched, cable-end disconnected from mechanism. Going to post repair separately.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
worked for me: thank for the info
1st removed the back cover
2nd: removed the cable from the mechanism
3rd: used a hammer and a screwdriver to remove the metallic ring
4th: pull out the whole thing.
5th brittax seat now fits perfectly

will replace the headrest back in a few years lol
It looks like they have further modified the "lock ring". Mine is thicker than the ones shown above. I have tried to remove it, but am worried about it breaking and this is a lease.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts