2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
In thinking about it, this is probably due to the fact they are full seats and not the stow and go kind. Those ones must fold down when you pull the lever so they can't be removed in the same manner I assume.

·
Registered
1 Posts
we just got an 18 today and CANNOT get either of our seats to fit (reacaro and britax)! My hubby doesn't want to take the rings off, did you? I am more than upset by this--- I mean, who has a minivan that a car seat can't fit in??????? The dealer told me to buy a new car seat--- (fuming)

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
we just got an 18 today and CANNOT get either of our seats to fit (reacaro and britax)! My hubby doesn't want to take the rings off, did you? I am more than upset by this--- I mean, who has a minivan that a car seat can't fit in??????? The dealer told me to buy a new car seat--- (fuming)

Are you talking about rear facing car seats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2018. mine is a thick plastic "locking" ring. Tried pulling on it but stopped in fear of breaking it. Anyone have any luck with an 2018? Thanks.

I have a 2018. I use a pair of piers to clamp the ring off then slide it back on for when I need to reinstall the headrest. I’ve done this at least four times already with no issues. I believe the ring is there so that users don’t YANK the head rest off as there is a cable connected to the other side of the headrest.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring Plus, White

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was certain I had to remove mine also. Reading online here I was able to find out that reclining the seat enabled installation easily. Once installed, tilting forward until snug keeps the seat from moving at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone successfully taken the 2nd row headrests off a 2019 [Limited]? I don't have a star washer, nor do I have the regular plastic adjustment push button apparently found in the 2017 model (as per the video). The 2019 has a very thick plastic retaining clip that doesn't look like it's going anywhere, no matter how hard I try to press in the "tabs" with pliers. This is absolutely ridiculous--- I didn't even think to check that the captain's chairs would have issues with FF car seats. Leased it 2 days ago...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Head Restraints — Second Row Quad Seats
The second row outboard head restraints, as well as the
removable 8th passenger seat (if equipped) have adjustable
head restraints.
To raise the head restraint, pull upward on the head
restraint. To lower the head restraint, push the adjustment
button, located at the base of the head restraint, and push
downward.
NOTE: If equipped with Stow ‘n Go seating, the head
restraints are non-adjustable. Do not pull on nonadjustable
head restraints when folding.
Head Restraints — Second Row Bench
The second row bench seat is equipped with adjustable
head restraints.
To raise the head restraint, pull upward on the head
restraint. To lower the head restraint, push the adjustment
button, located at the base of the head restraint, and push
downward.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I'm aware they're not supposed to be removed. But whether by hacksaw or pliers, they will be removed. Anyone know how to get these lock rings off?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Once you pry the seat backs off, you should be able to see the cables that tie the headrests to the seat release mechanism. If you pop that connection loose, you should be able to pull out the headrest from the seat back and then replace the seat back cover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Incorrect, unfortunately. The model year 2019 has very rigid plastic clips accessible with the seat back off. But after the cable is disengaged, they still don't move whatsoever. I'll try to post a picture later on. And the normal adjustment button found on 99% of headrest mechanisms (including that which is found in the video of the 2017 model) doesn't exist. It's just two ~3/8" immobile steel posts held on by some sort of clip system that I can't figure out. :(

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
That’s no good. I’d love to see the photos of the new design. There has to be a way to get them out. Just may not be as simple as the older design.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thomma12, I have the exact same looking plastic clips on my headrest. I am not a mechanically inclined person so i was unable to figure out how to remove them without snapping them to pieces. Did you have any luck?

·
Registered
3 Posts
No I haven’t - I’m pretty frustrated with it. I love the van for the most part but the headrest issue is ridiculous - most people with minivans have kids and having kids means several years with car seats. Very disappointed that making sure a car seat could be safely installed wasn’t a priority in the design. My fault for not checking but it’s MINIVAN and I’ve also never came across an issue of not being able to remove a headrest. That part makes me miss the Honda I traded in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm just posting to see if anyone else has solved the issue on the 2019 Models. I took the seat back off and did a little bit of investigation. I think the Plastic clip we're seeing may actually be a part of the new "headrest guide" that came with this model. I can't find the current part on Mopars page, but here is the old headrest guide (parts.donjacksoncdj.com/oem-parts/mopar-headrest-guide-5rn60dx9ad?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9c2Vjb25kLXJvdy1zZWF0cyZsPTEwMiZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPWNocnlzbGVyJm89cGFjaWZpY2EmeT0yMDE5JnQ9bGltaXRlZCZlPTMtNmwtdjYtZ2Fz). (Sorry for the ridiculous long URL, new posters can't submit links apparently). I'm no expert, but it looks like the plastic clip may be a redesigned part of this, rather than what is holding the headrest rod in. I can't seem to figure out how the rod is being held in though, at least not without a full service manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking at forum posts about this issue, hoping someone had figured this out.
I just spent about a half an hour on our new 2019 Pacifica, looking for a release mechanism for the 2nd row stow-and-go headrests - from the back of the seat - with the back cover removed.
I did find the release pin, but it is not accessed from the seat back.
So, after removing the cable release for the headrest, I moved the seat back to its upright position.

If you feel around the top of the seat along the front, just under the plastic headrest rail guides - there is a bump. If you move the fabric down past that bump, you will see a metal clip.
I took these pictures after I had removed the metal retaining clips. The clip fits in that slot visible in the attached pictures, and locks the headrest rail in place. I used a hook type tool to pull the pin out of each plastic guide - and the headrest rail is released. Now you can remove the headrest and the attached cable portion.

There is only a single catch on each of headrest rails, which is the reason they are not adjustable.

Now my Diono RXT's will fit correctly in the 2nd row seats, with the headrests removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking at forum posts about this issue, hoping someone had figured this out.
I just spent about a half an hour on our new 2019 Pacifica, looking for a release mechanism for the 2nd row stow-and-go headrests - from the back of the seat - with the back cover removed.
I did find the release pin, but it is not accessed from the seat back.
So, after removing the cable release for the headrest, I moved the seat back to its upright position.

If you feel around the top of the seat along the front, just under the plastic headrest rail guides - there is a bump. If you move the fabric down past that bump, you will see a metal clip.
I took these pictures after I had removed the metal retaining clips. The clip fits in that slot visible in the attached pictures, and locks the headrest rail in place. I used a hook type tool to pull the pin out of each plastic guide - and the headrest rail is released. Now you can remove the headrest and the attached cable portion.

There is only a single catch on each of headrest rails, which is the reason they are not adjustable.

Now my Diono RXT's will fit correctly in the 2nd row seats, with the headrests removed.
Thank you very much!!!
I just followed your instructions on my Pacifica Touring 2019 and it worked.
Now Britax Frontier fit perfectly in 2nd row seat.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts
About this Discussion
79 Replies
48 Participants
ggesco
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing