2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking at forum posts about this issue, hoping someone had figured this out.
I just spent about a half an hour on our new 2019 Pacifica, looking for a release mechanism for the 2nd row stow-and-go headrests - from the back of the seat - with the back cover removed.
I did find the release pin, but it is not accessed from the seat back.
So, after removing the cable release for the headrest, I moved the seat back to its upright position.

If you feel around the top of the seat along the front, just under the plastic headrest rail guides - there is a bump. If you move the fabric down past that bump, you will see a metal clip.
I took these pictures after I had removed the metal retaining clips. The clip fits in that slot visible in the attached pictures, and locks the headrest rail in place. I used a hook type tool to pull the pin out of each plastic guide - and the headrest rail is released. Now you can remove the headrest and the attached cable portion.

There is only a single catch on each of headrest rails, which is the reason they are not adjustable.

Now my Diono RXT's will fit correctly in the 2nd row seats, with the headrests removed.
Thank you for this post! This worked perfect on the 2020 Pacifica we just bought!

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
REMOVAL

1. Using a trim stick (2), release the top of the seat back panel (1), then lift and remove.

2. Using cutters, cut the metal retainer (2) and remove.

3. Open the cable junction box (3) and separate the headrest release cable end.
  4. Press the headrest guide buttons (1) and lift the headrest (2) out.
  5. Feed the headrest release cable (4) through the headrest guide.
INSTALLATION

1. Feed the headrest release cable (4) through the headrest guide.
  2. Install the headrest (2) fully and route the headrest release cable.
  3. Open the cable junction box (3) and install the headrest release cable end.

4. Install a NEW metal retainer (2).

5. Install the bottom of the seat back panel (1), then engage the retaining clips at the top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you!! We were so frustrated about this problem and the dealership said they couldn’t be removed because they tied into the airbag system or something...

Two questions
1) have your tried to re-instal the head rest at all?
2) did you dealer say anything when you go in for maintenance?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update: The first guy we talked to didn’t know what he was talking about.

once we show this post to the tech, he removed them in about five minutes. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you do anything with the cord for the stow & go feature? I just want to raise mine without detaching anything.

Mine had the metal retaining ring. The ring was designed to not be removable, but a little work with some needle nose vice grips and a screw driver I was able to snap the ring and pull it off. I still have the headrests in position, just pulled all the way up so they don't interfere with the car seats. Now if I need to move car seats and use the seat I can just push the headrest back down until it clicks.
Mine had the metal retaining ring. The ring was designed to not be removable, but a little work with some needle nose vice grips and a screw driver I was able to snap the ring and pull it off. I still have the headrests in position, just pulled all the way up so they don't interfere with the car seats. Now if I need to move car seats and use the seat I can just push the headrest back down until it clicks.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,124 Posts
Did you do anything with the cord for the stow & go feature? I just want to raise mine without detaching anything.
Welcome to the forum.
If you just want to raise the headrest, push the tabs (on the seat) under the headrest and lift. You can download more extensive owner's manuals from the Mopar website if desired.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all, I followed the YouTube video posted in this thread to successfully remove the second row passenger side head rest (2018 Pacifica Touring L), which included forcibly removing the metal ring. This was to accommodate my forward-facing convertible car seat. All good. However upon reinstalling it, the head rest no longer "drops" or falls forward when engaging in Stow & Go. I thought I successfully reattached everything as it should be, yet I can't get the head rest to fold down (and thus, the whole seat will not fit in the Stow & Go cavity, so I had to remove the head rest again). Any thoughts? I can post a picture if that would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In case it's helpful to others (though in hindsight it seems obvious), I figured out why the headrest wasn't folding down/falling forward after re-connecting it: I was doing the re-connection with the seat already folded down, because it was easier to work with. But at that point the headrest was supposed to already have fallen down. So I reclined it all the way back into a normal seated position, re-connected the headrest, and that did the trick. At least, that's what worked for me.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts