2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking at forum posts about this issue, hoping someone had figured this out.
I just spent about a half an hour on our new 2019 Pacifica, looking for a release mechanism for the 2nd row stow-and-go headrests - from the back of the seat - with the back cover removed.
I did find the release pin, but it is not accessed from the seat back.
So, after removing the cable release for the headrest, I moved the seat back to its upright position.

If you feel around the top of the seat along the front, just under the plastic headrest rail guides - there is a bump. If you move the fabric down past that bump, you will see a metal clip.
I took these pictures after I had removed the metal retaining clips. The clip fits in that slot visible in the attached pictures, and locks the headrest rail in place. I used a hook type tool to pull the pin out of each plastic guide - and the headrest rail is released. Now you can remove the headrest and the attached cable portion.

There is only a single catch on each of headrest rails, which is the reason they are not adjustable.

Now my Diono RXT's will fit correctly in the 2nd row seats, with the headrests removed.
Thank you for this post! This worked perfect on the 2020 Pacifica we just bought!

·
Super Moderator
705 Posts
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
REMOVAL

1. Using a trim stick (2), release the top of the seat back panel (1), then lift and remove.

2. Using cutters, cut the metal retainer (2) and remove.

3. Open the cable junction box (3) and separate the headrest release cable end.
  4. Press the headrest guide buttons (1) and lift the headrest (2) out.
  5. Feed the headrest release cable (4) through the headrest guide.
INSTALLATION

1. Feed the headrest release cable (4) through the headrest guide.
  2. Install the headrest (2) fully and route the headrest release cable.
  3. Open the cable junction box (3) and install the headrest release cable end.

4. Install a NEW metal retainer (2).

5. Install the bottom of the seat back panel (1), then engage the retaining clips at the top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you!! We were so frustrated about this problem and the dealership said they couldn’t be removed because they tied into the airbag system or something...

Two questions
1) have your tried to re-instal the head rest at all?
2) did you dealer say anything when you go in for maintenance?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update: The first guy we talked to didn’t know what he was talking about.

once we show this post to the tech, he removed them in about five minutes. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you do anything with the cord for the stow & go feature? I just want to raise mine without detaching anything.

Mine had the metal retaining ring. The ring was designed to not be removable, but a little work with some needle nose vice grips and a screw driver I was able to snap the ring and pull it off. I still have the headrests in position, just pulled all the way up so they don't interfere with the car seats. Now if I need to move car seats and use the seat I can just push the headrest back down until it clicks.
Mine had the metal retaining ring. The ring was designed to not be removable, but a little work with some needle nose vice grips and a screw driver I was able to snap the ring and pull it off. I still have the headrests in position, just pulled all the way up so they don't interfere with the car seats. Now if I need to move car seats and use the seat I can just push the headrest back down until it clicks.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,503 Posts
Did you do anything with the cord for the stow & go feature? I just want to raise mine without detaching anything.
Welcome to the forum.
If you just want to raise the headrest, push the tabs (on the seat) under the headrest and lift. You can download more extensive owner's manuals from the Mopar website if desired.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all, I followed the YouTube video posted in this thread to successfully remove the second row passenger side head rest (2018 Pacifica Touring L), which included forcibly removing the metal ring. This was to accommodate my forward-facing convertible car seat. All good. However upon reinstalling it, the head rest no longer "drops" or falls forward when engaging in Stow & Go. I thought I successfully reattached everything as it should be, yet I can't get the head rest to fold down (and thus, the whole seat will not fit in the Stow & Go cavity, so I had to remove the head rest again). Any thoughts? I can post a picture if that would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In case it's helpful to others (though in hindsight it seems obvious), I figured out why the headrest wasn't folding down/falling forward after re-connecting it: I was doing the re-connection with the seat already folded down, because it was easier to work with. But at that point the headrest was supposed to already have fallen down. So I reclined it all the way back into a normal seated position, re-connected the headrest, and that did the trick. At least, that's what worked for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the pics. I bought a used 2017 - never checked the sto 'n go. Got 'r home to find 2nd row passenger headrest does not retract/fold - so it won't sto in the tub.

I popped it off and apart - found the release cable casing torn/stretched, cable-end disconnected from mechanism. Going to post repair separately.
I think I have the same problem. Were you able to buy just the cable? I can't find the part but have not checked with the dealer yet.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Limited (non-Hybrid), 2018 UConnect Radio Upgrade
49 Posts
Well, I finally did it, I needed to get those **** headrests off of the second row seats and after a quick pry of the rear plastic panel, I just had to unsnap one connector and viola, no headrests in the way of my child seats. Much better fitment without the headrests in the way.
Any chance you have an Amazon or other link for those? I can't resist a tool purchase!

·
Registered
47 Posts
@ChryslerCares Please comment on this thread? I have heard from others it's dangerous to remove the headrest for this reason but there are tons of people who have done it otherwise the car seat will not fit properly. Myself included.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
@ChryslerCares Please comment on this thread? I have heard from others it's dangerous to remove the headrest for this reason but there are tons of people who have done it otherwise the car seat will not fit properly. Myself included.
Thank you
Rather than risking damage to a sort of critical safety aspect of the car, why don’t you buy a new car seat after test fitting them of course. It costs may be $100-200. I understand that you would like a perfect flush fit of your existing car seat to the existing seat, but life’s not always fair, and these are minor things which you can easily afford.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rather than risking damage to a sort of critical safety aspect of the car, why don’t you buy a new car seat after test fitting them of course. It costs may be $100-200. I understand that you would like a perfect flush fit of your existing car seat to the existing seat, but life’s not always fair, and these are minor things which you can easily afford.
What critical safety aspect are you damaging by removing the headrest and using a child car seat? Hybrid model headrests are removable so what's the difference other than ours has stow and go? It only take 5 minutes to remove. I can see if an adult was sitting there with no headrest but that is not the situation.
I spoke to Graco and the car seat is compatible with our vans like hundreds of others seats however there is a FB group specifically discussing Pacifica car seats that states a safety concern with removing the headrest and that FCA advises against it.
I think we all deserve an official statement from Chrysler on this. I and thousands of others I'm sure have removed the headrest to install a car seat and wouldn't think twice about there being some sort of safety concern. In fact their dealership is the one who I initially asked about removing the headrest and not a single tech batted an eye.@ChryslerCares

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Headrest is supposed to be a safety aspect of any seat in the car right? If FCA advised against removing it, there must be some reason for it (I don’t know what).
Hundreds of people also replace / retrofit headlights, mess with engine tuning, suspension etc. It’s your van, you can do whatever you want to do with it. I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m just giving you an easier option without making any changes in your car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Headrest is supposed to be a safety aspect of any seat in the car right? If FCA advised against removing it, there must be some reason for it (I don’t know what).
Hundreds of people also replace / retrofit headlights, mess with engine tuning, suspension etc. It’s your van, you can do whatever you want to do with it. I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m just giving you an easier option without making any changes in your car.
Yes safety aspect for adults. Not for Child Restraints as they have their own headrest. This is the reply I received from Chrysler yesterday..
[email protected] wrote:

Hello

After speaking with my tech team they gave me this information that I will have below.

Lap/Shoulder Belt Systems For Installing Child Restraints In This Vehicle
Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) Locations
  • ALR = Switchable Automatic Locking Retractor
  • Top Tether Anchorage Symbol
Frequently Asked Questions About Installing Child Restraints With Seat Belts
What is the weight limit (child’s weight + weight of the child restraint) for using the Tether Anchor with the seat belt to attach a forward facing child restraint?
Weight limit of the Child Restraint
Always use the tether anchor when using the seat belt to install a forward facing child restraint, up to the recommended weight limit of the child restraint.
Can the rear-facing child restraint touch the back of the front passenger seat?
Yes
Contact between the front passenger seat and the child restraint is allowed, if the child restraint manufacturer also allows contact.
Can the head restraints be removed?
Yes
The 2nd row head restraints are removable. The 3rd row center head restraint is removable, but the 3rd row outboard head restraints are not removable.

Can the buckle stalk be twisted to tighten the seat belt against the belt path of the child restraint?
No
Do not twist the buckle stalk in a seating position with an ALR retractor. Note: If the folding, non-adjustable head restraint interferes with the installation of the child restraint, the head restraint may be folded and the child seat installed in front of it. DANGER Always make sure the head restraint is in its upright position when the seat is to be used by an occupant who is not in a child restraint. Sitting in a seat with the head restraint in its lowered position could result in serious injury or death in a collision.

Any more question please refer to your local fire department.

Thank you

ref:_00Dj01qsDF._5003Z1JJZKF:ref

nhtsa.gov specifically talks about removing a headrest for proper child restraint installation.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Cool, so Chrysler is saying that these can be removed. Problem solved.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts